Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:54 am 
Cadet
Cadet

weasel fierce wrote:
I like each version of Epic, though original Space Marine will always be my favourite.

likewise! tho the vehicle damage system seems a tad convoluted..

weasel fierce wrote:
As things stand now, you are better off getting as many figures off ebay you can, and either playing an older version, or downloading the (now free) Dirtside II, and statting out your Epic figures for it :(

erm, whats wrong with downloading the current versions Living Rulebook for free and playing that? (tho Dirtside II is good too)

Oblivion wrote:
who wants infantry stands to have 5 wounds...
nope, not me ~ EPIC isnt about tracking the individual health of unthinking automatons who go and die where you want them to (ala Silhoette, which altho having a jolly nice damage system doesnt to my knowledge have any morale rules whatsoever) when a stand in EPIC is 'killed' it simply means that group of men/xenos are no longer functioning in a manner that would have any effect on the battle, the men could have all been killed by a single lucky shot, or the sergeant could have just gotten a bit of shrapnel in his knee and the other 4 men all volunteered to bravely carry him back to the MASH.. or anything in between

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:13 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

ugh, I forgot, Epic Armageddon is available free as well!

Good times to game in 6mm...

I've adapted Space Marine to play WW2 and Russian civil war games as well. Tons of fun, particularly as you can muck around with it a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:30 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Actually, Silhouette does have morale rules... they introduced them in the advanced rules section, along with different scales and artillery. In fact, they linked artillery and morale together - seeing as how arty does more damage morale-wise than physically!

But they are there - just have to go beyond the basic core rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:08 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

While epic figs leave me cold - apart from super-heavies, especially titans, which have always been a love of mine. You can't really have an army of titans in 40k (although i am trying...)

Anyway, figures aside, Epic is a GREAT game, incredibly tactical. It has an integrated turn sequence, almost unique to GW.

It took a couple of games - things like units being able to move across the board in one turn didn't make sense at first - but give it a few games and you'll really get a strategic overview of the whole battlefield.

In all, a fantastic game, arguably better than the previous versions.

Lord Inquistior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:13 pm 
Private
Private

yeah, titans, i love titans! i have a plethora of the little fellas. My sticking point is the painting of the little tiny stands of infantry! I have soooo many and its hard to get them to a similar standard as 40k infantry. aside from that, an epic army is soooo much more impressive than a 40k army! and takes up less room. The rules aren't that good, i have several editions that i brought off ebay so i will have a look through them and see if they're any better.
:guns02

http://www.booktopia.com.au/featuredboo ... 047157015X
:eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:08 am 
Private
Private

weasel fierce wrote:
A pity, as Jervis Johnson is a fantastic designer.

I don't think I can agree with that assessment.

I still prefer Epic 40K. The problem was, E40K was Andy's game and when Jervis took it over he started modding it until it was almost unplayable (anyone remember AT2). Then, since the game was now unplayable, Jervis had an excuse to ditch all of Andy's work and redesign the game to make it more like Space Marine (only with 1/10th of Space Marine's charm). He also decides that there is "no point" in producing rules for figures that aren't currently available so the free Epic:Armageddon rulebook only covers a tiny fraction of E40K's units (only partial lists for Imperials, Orcs, and Eldar). Anyone with older figures is SOL.

Its a shame because many of the rules from E:A (forex: alternate activation, simplified blast markers, etc) could have easily been implemented in E:40K leaving a much more playable game that kept support for most of the old model range.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:54 am 
Private
Private

Quote:
e also decides that there is "no point" in producing rules for figures that aren't currently available so the free Epic:Armageddon rulebook only covers a tiny fraction of E40K's units

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, that's a little harsh, as the 40K rules committee have the final say on all of the Epic units, not JJ. They've actually banned many of the older models being part of E:A, as they don't fit with current thoughts about the 40K world.

There is a little in the 'Classic and Collectors' section of the E:A rules that does allow older stuff to be used, but I admit it's not nearly enough. Half my tyranid army doesn't exist anymore, or has been renamed/rearmed :( .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:20 pm 
Private
Private

I think the biggest problem (appart from the loss of a large section of your army due to their non-existace) is the fact you cannot take an allied contingent. marines and guard armies not only play better but are a cooler looking army that fits alot better into the whole 40k fluff but you no longer can use the two together. What a crock.
:guns02
Nids got sooo done over in the edition changes! I pitty anyone who had a nid army :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:09 am 
Private
Private

Commisar Noddy wrote:

Nids got sooo done over in the edition changes! I pitty anyone who had a nid army :lol:

Tell me about it. A CC biased army that takes 2 or 3 turns to cross the board, due to unit speeds of 15cm. It's not much fun footslogging that far, especially against IG who can totally wipe out anything big and fast you may choose to take, due to their ridiculous anti-titan capabilities. The current E:A nid list is so bad I've given up playing it.

All we need is a transport unit. Do we get one? do we hell (except for the vituraptor/ harridan. But a 150/350 unit that can transport 4/8 stands, and is shot out of the sky on sight is not the answer to my prayers....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:43 am 
Private
Private

Bwahahahaha. Hey atleast you read your armies rules! I have a largish epic Space Marne army, but i started buying guard to go along with them, unfortunatly for me the two cannot ally nymore so i've go guard stuff i just cannot use anymore and it ain't enough to stand alone as an army! Frigger Fragit!!! :angry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:27 am 
Private
Private

Ooops... :D

Yeah, that's got to be annoying. To be fair, I really enjoy the current E:A ruleset. They seemed to be designed to take into account the fact that I enjoy drinking whilst playing (God bless gaming clubs that take place in pubs) and don't have too many fiddly rules.

I just wish that GW would push a little harder behind the E:A rules - everytime we play in a GW store, we get quite an audiance who for the most part have never even seen these models before, let alone had a go. I've certainly recruited a fair few players to E:A, and with a little support from GW, E:A could easily take it's place in the main line up. The rules are better (imo) then either 40K or fantasy, without being needlessly complex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:55 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

M0thra wrote:
To be fair, I really enjoy the current E:A ruleset. They seemed to be designed to take into account the fact that I enjoy drinking whilst playing

That's not a good recomendation for any set of rules, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:41 am 
Private
Private

It's the perfect recommendation :D. It means that the rules are nicely free-flowing, and don't have niggly stupid bits to remember.

I'd rather have a ruleset you can pick up in 5 minutes and then actually play with, rather then those that because every rule condraticts at least two more mean that you're forever leafing through FAQ's, codex's and the main rulebook, trying to work out which rule takes precedence in which situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:25 am 
Recruit
Recruit

M0thra wrote:
It's the perfect recommendation :D. It means that the rules are nicely free-flowing, and don't have niggly stupid bits to remember.

I'd rather have a ruleset you can pick up in 5 minutes and then actually play with, rather then those that because every rule condraticts at least two more mean that you're forever leafing through FAQ's, codex's and the main rulebook, trying to work out which rule takes precedence in which situation.

Exactly. I enjoy gaming with my friends very much. However I enjoy it less as we get boggled down in arguments over rules. This is true for any game but we enjoyed Epic very much.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 am 
Knight ov Discord

I recently read the new epic rules and was not very impressed with them. Not only is it chalk full ov the usual arbitrary bullshit that GW loves to throw into its games (ties are won by whom ever has the next birthday? fuctarded?) but there seems to be 3 different games overlaid on top ov each other (one for titans, one for close combat, and one for ranged attacks?) Blast markers in addition to casualties? (why? isn't that like double the effect?)