Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:24 am 
Cadet
Cadet

mortishroom wrote:
ties are won by whom ever has the next birthday? fuctarded?

yeah that rules is seriously fuctarded, the git gets a birthday AND the first turn?! it should be the other guy who goes first to balance it out

mortishroom wrote:
but there seems to be 3 different games overlaid on top ov each other (one for titans, one for close combat, and one for ranged attacks?)

i honestly cant say i've noticed that.. sure there are some differences, but at least they have more in common than say.. 40ks infantry rules vs vehicle rules

mortishroom wrote:
Blast markers in addition to casualties? (why? isn't that like double the effect?)

personally i love the blast markers: its a nice non-complicated morale system, and it allows some nice differences between armies (the first game of E:A i played we were a little short of ork models, so i used a squadron of Land Raiders ignoring And They Shall Know No Fear.. they were pretty useless as a single volley of missiles reduced the orks to a squabbling panicked mob 'Deys Shootin At Us!!!' where the same vehicles crewed by marines would still have had 6 attacks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:45 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

New here, but certainly not new to GW games. Been playing since the 1980's and stated Epic with 1st Edition Space Marine.

IMHO; Epic is hands down a much better game than 40K. They are different in scope but just one vs the other, I will choose Epic anyday. Epic Armageddon is okay, but if you want to play real Epic, make it 2nd Edition Space Marine-Adeptus Titanicus. This is the version NetEpic is based off, so the cost is free too.

Epic in general though allows for a much more coordinated battle and actually requires some tactics unlike 40-Kindergarten. :(

Besides, where else can you field an Imperator Titan?
Image :borg [/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:23 am 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

Yep, Space Marine was the better version than Epic.
Chaplain Leviticus wrote:
actually requires some tactics unlike 40-Kindergarten.
Ouch. Bitter much? :P

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:35 am 
Gunner
Gunner

mujadaddy wrote:

Not really, GW just disappoints me a little more each time with the reduction of thought involved in the changes to the game. I enjoy the various versions of 40K, but if they keep up on this trend of the decade, we will be playing 40K-click soon.

Honestly, I do enjoy the tactical play of Epic far above that of 40K. But from time to time, we have played 40K using the Epic order system (Space marine 2nd Ed. not current version). That alone completely changes the dynamics of 40K and 110% for the better. If you give it a try you will also notice many would-be assaults turn into close ranged fire fights (First Fire!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

A sadly now deceased fellow gamer of mine once described the 40k games like this: "you've got 40k, you've got necromunda, that's 40k for swots and you've got Epic. That's 40k for retards" :P

Post subject: Epic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:41 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Epic (The current 'Armageddon' edition) is without a doubt GW's single most tactical wargame.

It has a modern, integrated turn sequence.

Blast Markers are a simple and intuitive morale mechanic (The more you have, the more shaken a formation is, simple!)

The orders system is cool (Single move, double move with -1 to hit, triple move with no shooting, etc).

The shooting and close combat mechanics are elegant and quick to use.

And, everyone ignores the 'birthday rule', that was a joke put in by Jervis that can only actually occur on the first dice roll of the game, and it's a way of making the two players say 'hello' rather than a truly insane rule. :roll:

And yeah, Epic has Titans, and aircraft like Thunderhawks as part of its core rules, not as awkward patches that shouldn't really be there in the first place (40k).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:13 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Although not as bland as the Firepower flavor of Epic, Armageddon still lacks the more detailed weapon effects of SM2. But I do like the aspects already noted for Armageddon. I'm still not abandoning my Titan Legions though :borg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:12 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

mujadaddy wrote:

Not really, GW just disappoints me a little more each time with the reduction of thought involved in the changes to the game. I enjoy the various versions of 40K, but if they keep up on this trend of the decade, we will be playing 40K-click soon.
Ouch! 40Klicks would SuuuucK :lol:

I definitely agree on the "reduction of thought involved" -- When I read the rules for 3rd edition, I stopped caring about what GW did, post-2nd.

Honestly, I do enjoy the tactical play of Epic far above that of 40K. But from time to time, we have played 40K using the Epic order system (Space marine 2nd Ed. not current version). That alone completely changes the dynamics of 40K and 110% for the better. If you give it a try you will also notice many would-be assaults turn into close ranged fire fights (First Fire!).
I never got to play a lot of Space Marine or Epic. Just enough to love it. I played about the same amount of Rogue Trader, and I played A LOT of 2nd Edition when that came out. Even 2nd Edition, to me, was a simplified, teen-friendly interpretation of Glorious Rogue Trader ;) :D

I still have my cardboard buildings with the plastic tops and my Titan sheets, though :)

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:08 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

I think what I really enjoy about Epic is the ability to orchestrate a true combined arms battle. Plus the tiny tanks are just so cute :D

I think I will start on my Epic Chaos army now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:48 am 
Cadet
Cadet

I think they finally got it just right with Epic Armageddon, it's fast, fun and actually feels like a proper full scale battle. If you don't use proper combined arms tactics you will be putting stuff back in your miniatures box about as fast as the other guy can roll dice.

The simple but effective stuff like blast markers, crossfire etc are so easy to understand that after a single game most players can remember everything other than unit stats straight away, that's a big bonus when introducing new players to a game.

I've played a lot of large scale wargames but never found another one that's as straightforward but potentially deep. It's genius, but it should be considering how many goes they had at getting it right. The miniatures are great too, even a total painting dunce like me can give them a basic paintjob then ink them and the impressive detaila suddenly appear like the holes in exhaust pipes and door hatch handles and all the other bits of detail. I really rate it as one of their best.