Login |  Register |  FAQ

HELP!

Post subject: HELP!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:19 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wasn't really sure where to place this, so I chose this section of the forum...

I recently moved, and in the process my brother is moving to my old bedroom at my parent's house. We unearthed a bag full of previously unidentified minis, basically crap that I didn't really want and told him to pitch what he didn't want (which he didn't), so they're back in my possession again...

Problem is, I can't truly ID some of this stuff still, since virtually NO info could be found (by me) about old GW plastics. Some of this stuff looks so cookie-cutter that I was tempted to think "Warhammer Quest, Heroquest, etc" but can't conclusively prove that. We're talking tons of Chaos-looking warriors, including some guys with bows and mohawks. There's some things I KNOW are Skaven, but I'm not sure if they're WFB Skaven or from something like Adv. Heroquest, etc.

I'd just photograph it for you guys to ID (since you're generally wonderful at doing that!), but some of it is in such lousy shape that they may be hard to make out in photos...so, if you guys have any idea on where on the 'Net I can find info on the older plastic models, I'd REALLY appreciate it! Thanks in advance! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:38 pm 
Private
Private

Your best bet is to post some pics as finding resources for stuff that none of us have clear idea on is next to impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:53 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Pics would really help. Some of the people here have been playing for 10+ years and have seen a fair amount of older mini's. But we need to see them to ID them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:30 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I bought my first GW game in 1990, and stopped paying attention (except to Necromunda, cos it was like Confrontation) a few years later. So maybe I can help, given that your post suggests the minis are old.

From memory, guys with bows and mohawks plus lots of Chaos warriors will be the evil army from the Battlemasters game produced in conjunction with MB.

Advanced heroquest had Skaven models (all holding spears, from memory).

Do any of the figures have separate heads? If so, they're possibly the plastic Warhammer Regiments box set.

Boardgamegeek will have pics of Battlemasters components. The Stuff of Legends has pics of all the early sprues in the 1991 catalogue.

Hope that helps some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:07 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks to everyone so far...looks like I'll have to take some photos on my next off day...

@Mahurangi: That does help, since it gives me somewhere else to look besides solely GW stuff (as far as Battlemasters goes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:10 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mahurangi wrote:
I bought my first GW game in 1990, and stopped paying attention (except to Necromunda, cos it was like Confrontation) a few years later. So maybe I can help, given that your post suggests the minis are old.

From memory, guys with bows and mohawks plus lots of Chaos warriors will be the evil army from the Battlemasters game produced in conjunction with MB.

Advanced heroquest had Skaven models (all holding spears, from memory).

Do any of the figures have separate heads? If so, they're possibly the plastic Warhammer Regiments box set.

Boardgamegeek will have pics of Battlemasters components. The Stuff of Legends has pics of all the early sprues in the 1991 catalogue.

Hope that helps some.

While SoL contained nothing in the catalog photos that I have, and BGG wasn't of much help, your tip about Battlemasters was spot on (eBay listings helped with the visuals on that, once I knew what to look for, lol). That accounts for about half of the mystery bag, so I suppose in the next day or so I'll photograph the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:15 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

If they are from the BattleMasters game then they will be molded in different colors like Greys, and Burgundy colors.

Are these what you have?

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

McCragge wrote:
If they are from the BattleMasters game then they will be molded in different colors like Greys, and Burgundy colors.

Are these what you have?

McCragge

For the most part, those seem to be exactly what I have. From what I can ID, I have (grey, unless noted otherwise):

-4 horses (2 blue, 1 gray, 1 black)
-8 Chaos knight guys with halberds
-3 Chaos marauder-ish guys with bows
-1 Chaos knight rider w/ lance
-2 "Empire" crossbowmen (red)
-2 "Empire" guys with halberds
-1 "Empire" bowman (red)
-2 "Empire" knight riders (1 missing helmet decor, part of lance, 1 missing lance completely!)

Then there's a red "Empire" guy with what looks like a rod/staff (wizard, maybe?) and a white short beast-guy (Skaven?) with a sword.

Also, I got back a bunch of plastic Night Goblins with bows/spears (25 in all) from my brother (he didn't want them after all), along with some Epic Eldar stuff:

-14 stands (empty)
-5 loose Guardians
-3 Guardians on a sprue
-3 intact sprues, each with 20 Guardians and two tanks of some sort (I don't recognize them as any Eldar vehicles out of regular 40K, and I deleted the link I had to an awesome Epic reference page, since I figured I'd never need it again...)

Once I get another lamp put up in my room and figure out the lighting situation (I just moved to an apartment, woohoo, but it's going to change my photography angles...), I'll put up some pics of both this stuff and the other stuff. On the plus side, once I get my roommate to clear her stuff out of the "breakfast room" (as it's called on the floorplan), I'll have an entire room for MY stuff, primarily bookshelves and, hopefully soon, an art desk to act as a permanent painting station! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:20 am 
Private
Private

My mate had battlemasters. We had heaps of good fun warhammer games on the battlemat until I realised my mate was using the hexegons to range in his cannons the sly bastard :-(

It ended up being a mat for 40k only after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:35 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

The Epic Edlar vehicles are way old Falcons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:31 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

If they look like this, then they are the way old Eldar epic Falcons.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:01 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Both of you are correct; that's what I have. And once I get settled in here, I'll probably end up listing them on eBay (unless someone stateside on the Fringe is interested in making an offer...), along with some other stuff I need to part with to help fuel my DH model quest...

Damn, those old Falcons are UGLY! MC, your paint job really helps them look presentable, since the models themselves aren't so hot, IMO. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Admittedly they are very old school, but for 6mm minis, I didn't think they were that bad.

I've got 1 old school craftworld and one new one, though getting them painted is pretty low on my priority list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:44 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Yeah, I actually like those falcons better than the new ones. Though in either case, where on earth do you fit 10 men?

Space Marine was such an awesome game! Or at least it was until 1994 or whenever it was the Imperator titan came out.