Login |  Register |  FAQ

New Space Hulk

Post subject: New Space Hulk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:55 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Though you guys might be interested in the new 'limited edition' Space Hulk.

<a href="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1430053&prodId=prod210009a">See it here</a>

Yeah it's BS that it's 'limited edition', they should just print the damn game, they even have their own board game division in FFG now, they have figured out how to make money on board games.

Anyways, I ordered a copy, we'll see if the rules are any good. I haven't played the original, so I guess I don't really have anything to compare the new rules to. But it's at least some cool minis for my 40k collection, even if some of the genestealers are a bit over the top.

BTW - I'm new here, but some of the super old timers know me, although I had a different screen name back then, I'll give myself a full intro in the newbie forum when it's not 2am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:35 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Thanks for the link! I'm not a fan of the look of the game (those board sections are awful, as are the stealers and the librarian, but the Marines are a step up from the first edition!), but would definitely consider playing it.

First edition Space Hulk was such a great game. Never bothered with the expansions or the second edition, as the first game was so complete.

This new version will be nowhere near as good if:
1) They've taken away the time limit on the Marine turn, or
2) Introduced 40K stat lines.

What made the first edition so great was the balance between a very simple but effective rules set and an extremely well-thought out set of missions. That combat was all pretty simple didn't matter, because the Marine player had to think so hard (and fast!) about how to win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:05 am 
Recruit
Recruit

It looks like they still have the time limit, since it includes an egg, I mean turn, timer. And they mentioned action points somewhere, so hopefully the mechanics are the same. If my friends and I don't like the rules, the plan is to find the original rules and play with those. But I'm going to give the new set a chance first.

And in the unlikely event that I just don't really like Space Hulk, I got two squads of terminators + a bunch of genestealers for less than they would normal charge you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 am 
Private
Private

Ya the egg timer is included in the new version so its back to the old rules I guess although I never played the original as I was introduced during the second run.

Quote:
And in the unlikely event that I just don't really like Space Hulk, I got two squads of terminators + a bunch of genestealers for less than they would normal charge you.

The Termies also look a lot more Dynamic than the norm and you also get a Librarian.

Also in the 2ed there was no Assault Cannon and some lightning claws(!) which I would be interested in seeing.

The whole "Limited Edition" thing is a bit S**t as even if they only sell 2000 copies and Im sure they will have no probs doing that, they will have made ten times what it would have cost to produce.
I'd expect to see a "Due to the unexpected success of the game we have decided to release a further 10000 copies Blah Blah Blah"

Will def be lookin to a few games with the nephew.

And the cost of the Mods alone will more than make up for the price of the game alone as I discovered several years ago.
It was due to the fact I had so many stealers that I collected a Nid army and the Terms complemented my Dark Angel army nicely.

:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am 
Recruit
Recruit

I missed the first incarnations of Space Hulk (just. I had to make do with Space Crusade) but the 2009 version has piqued my interest. Unfortunately, because I'm now a modeller and painter rather than an active gamer (the dice went into storage when 3rd Ed 40K came out) £60 seemed a bit steep for a game I'd probably never actually play.

I discussed this with my non-gaming friend who acts as my somewhat dubious moral compass and he reckoned I should go for it regardless. He also admitted that as a lad he'd thought about getting into gaming but had no patience for modelling and / or painting. Remembering he's a big fan of the Alien series I directed him to GW's site to check it out and tell me what he thought.

End result? My copy of Space Hulk is on pre-order, and he's already clearing space in his diary for our first gaming evening.

It's officially on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:30 pm 
Private
Private

yup already got my set pre order.

heres a bit of food for though for everyone.

a spure weighs 4 KG's... how much does a normal termi weigh? now eather the models COULD b in resin (they arnt, i can tell they are not. it looks a hell of alot diffrent then resin)

Or they are a larger scale, when i first saw the termis i had a VERY hard time beliving they are 28mm heroic (32 mm) like GW makes. They look light it could be 35++ but im not sure.

there have been no, TRUE scale pictures so we can assume they are 28 heroic and i hope like hell they are but it seems like a good deal and it wouldnt suprize me if GW throws us a curve ball.

Also i have a funny feeling they will re relase a new packaged space hulk in a few years with exactly what comes in it down or possibly dulled down models (because the limited ED could be the sexy models) as these current mouds loose detail. but it would cost you twice the price.

Just my 2 cents

Vaan sarr gang- Stray dog PDF deserters

W / L / D
6 / 4 / 0

Gang rating- 2850

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:02 pm 
Private
Private

I dont think the models are any bigger than normal.

The 2ed box set was heavy enough due to the Card tiles which are pretty thick and heavy.They also had to be punched out of more cardboard which was superfluous to the game itself.This is also why the box is so bulky.

Also the added weight is probably due to the added detail of the mods as they have partial wall sections etc.

The mods AIN'T gonna be in resin. Trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I held the models today and can confirm they are near-as-damn-it the same size as regular terminators. Maybe a little thinner in the legs, but not noticeable on the tabletop.

Broodlord is freaking massive! Not sure how big regular broodlords are but I'd totally use the Space Hulk guy over the metal version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:08 pm 
Private
Private

I know they aint resin, like i said i can tell they aint resin by the colour and such.

thanks for he heads up cat, perfect. think i might have to do a first company BA force :(

Vaan sarr gang- Stray dog PDF deserters

W / L / D
6 / 4 / 0

Gang rating- 2850

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:19 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

As someone who missed the first two incarnations of the game and can't be bothered hunting it down on eBay for $100+, I'm excited. Not only will I get to play a game that is at least somewhat similar to the originals, but I also get a boatload of amazing models. (actually, I think the lightning claw guy looks a little weird, but other than that, no complaints) These guys are far more dynamic than the standard Termies. And, to top it off, Space Hulk costs the same as two boxes of those static, static, Termies. For the same price ($1 cheaper, actually) I get an 11th Termie, whoever that may be, a Termie Librarian, 22 Genestealers that also look better than the current sculpts, an interesting Broodlord, and not to mention the game itself. I can't imagine what GW is thinking only selling a limited number of these.

So, mine's on preorder as of yesterday :D

Daemon Host, the source for all your 40K/Fantasy Daemon needs. (And maybe others, too!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:21 am 
Gunner
Gunner

I'm more than likely to be called a heathen for this, but I'm sorely tempted to convert my Terminators into Chaos Terminators :chaos

Aside from that, I'm very much looking forward to getting my copy when it comes in :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 pm 
Private
Private

Oh god yes, convert them.......anything to get rid of those Blood Angel emblems.

File or Fill just free the minis of the BA BS.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 am 
Private
Private

The Original runs were great, and if you're really keen, very old White Dwarfs contained an enormous amount of new rules to try out.

Psykers, Hybrids, Space Marine in MkVI armour, all could be included. So if you don't like the new rules, for a few quid, you could expand the game in which ever way you wanted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Gav wrote:
...and he's already clearing space in his diary for our first gaming evening.

It's officially on...

So how are we getting on, I hear you cry? Well, as you asked so nicely, I'll tell you.

We've played Mission 1 twice. The first time - with me as Marines - ended when my flamer chap got hacked down from behind just as he was about to complete the mission, so my buddy won his first ever wargame. Very sporting of me, I think you'll agree. Buoyed by this success he then took over the marines and promptly lost. It wasn't a heavy loss - if he'd taken his flamer directly to the objective rather than trying to mop up my 'stealers he's have wiped the floor with me - and he enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought he would.

A few weeks later we reconvened to take on Mission 2, with me again taking the marines, and we had probably the closest game of my life. After an hour and a half, during which time either one of us could have put it away a number of times, it came down to me rolling to see whether my last Marine plugged his last 'stealer on overwatch. If I'd missed (or jammed), he would have been on me and ripped my face off in a heartbeat. If that's not a close game I don't know what is.

Basically it's going swimmingly. I'm sure if either of us took on a 'serious' gamer we'd be easily embarrassed, but his his lack of gaming experience is matched by my 15 year holiday from active service. We're here to have a good time rather than win, and as we hurtle towards our thirties "Space Hulk and a takeaway" is on the verge of becoming our regular way of forgetting about work and women on a Friday night.

Next stop Mission 3, and I've got twice as many Marines to manage. I'll let you know how it goes down...

and go racin' in the street

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:57 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

:) good to hear you're enjoying it man.

It really be played to be fun as all games. Our Necro games are a blast of few to spend a few hours and more beers :)

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940