Login |  Register |  FAQ

Why Space Crusade?

Post subject: Why Space Crusade?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:00 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

I've never played Space Crusade (or Advanced Space Crusade). But it seems to have quite the following online. So tell me, is it good? If so why? What are it's best features? Could it be expanded to a more fully fledged game or is it at base always going to be limited to just a really good board game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:46 am 
Private
Private

I hve space crusade! and several of it's supplements. It's an ok game, i cannot see why you say it's got a huge following. I think it's extreemly limited! Have you ever played Space Hulk? it's kinda a cross between that and Warhammer Quest but hella earlier than either. Not the best but it beats the crap out of Space Hulk!
:guns02

http://www.booktopia.com.au/featuredboo ... 047157015X
:eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:42 am 
Cadet
Cadet

i think its mostly down to nostalgia, the vast majority of 40k gamers who discovered GW during the time Space Crusade was in print seem to have done so via Space Crusade, i dont think the actual Space Crusade rules were all that good (the realisation suddenly hit me when i was playing the computer game about 3 months ago and found i had a marine who fired his boltgun a gretchin 2 squares away and missed could then turn around and run out the door and halfway down the corridor, but couldnt fire again or attack in hth combat..)

Post subject: the rules were fine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:09 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

for what they were... the video games sucked all over though...
whats really good is the board sections... far more tactically satisfying than space hulk with the twisting double spaced coridors and multiple ajoining rooms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:42 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

dude, space crusade was the reason i got into 40K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:35 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Video games are always bad.
The SPACE CRUSADE board game is excellent,with 15 space marines figurines (3 squads very detailed and better than space hulk figurines) + aliens (genestealers,androids,dreadnought,orcs,gretchins) on a 3d modular board game less problematic than the one of space hulk.(too huge on a table)
The advantage is that your squad or alien forces can level up and win gear,new orders which give you more powers.
The 2 extensions,"Eldar Attack" and "Mission Dreadnought" include new figurines,more space marines with extra heavy weapons,new modular board game & walls with doors,dices etc.
To resume : SPACE CRUSADE is THE space board game.
It's easy then to include other warhammer science fiction figurines after.

Advanced Space Crusade renamed & modified for the USA (Tyrannid Attack) is another game,very poor for the figurines and board elements.
ULTRA MARINES can be considered like the extensions of ASC...

Last edited by HEROQUESTFRANCE on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:58 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Quote:
dude, space crusade was the reason i got into 40K

Samer here 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:01 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Space Crusade was a poor game in comparison to Space Hulk. The rules were simplistic and open to abuse. There's an easy way to complete most missions without too much trouble...

Step 1 - Play Blood Angels.
Step 2 - Arm your Commander with the Power Sword and Power Glove.
Step 3 - Take the Bionic Arm, Force Field and Melta Bomb Equipment Cards.
Step 4 - It doesn't matter what the rest of your squad does...

Your Commander will be almost unbeatable with that combination of wargear. You can run around the ship and close assault anything to death. When you meet a Dreadnought, throw a Melta Bomb at it. Use the rest of your squad to defend the Commander, it doesn't even matter if they die. I have won many missions where all I needed was only my Commander.

The only good thing about the game was the quality of the miniatures. They were well done.

The Space Crusade board sections were terrible. The small scale of the squares made it impossible to fit on many models within the same room. Space Hulk squares were larger and fitted more models easier.

It was a kiddy version of Space Hulk that was only designed to suck us all into the 40K Universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:36 am 
Gunner
Gunner

well u maybe right with the imbalance. But those stuff can be handled easily in your group if u know some gear is to hard etc..

Still I like it a lot more than Spacehulk. SH was somehow less exciting and more monotonous in comparison to SC.

And I actually I loved the board...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:01 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Space Crusade was an evolution of Space Hulk, anyone who belittles SC with SH obviously hasn't played the game in more than a decade.

Terminators vs Genestealers that's Space Hulk in its entirety, it's no more, no less.

At least Space Crusade had some semblance of variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:15 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Yarlen Fireblade wrote:
Terminators vs Genestealers that's Space Hulk in its entirety, it's no more, no less.

Wrong.

Deathwing introduced more weapons for different Terminators.

Genestealer introduced Genestealer Hybrids, Genestealer Magi, Genestealer Patriarchs, Grey Knights, along with Terminator Librarians.

The Campaigns Book introduced Power Armour Marines and Chaos Terminators.

There are so many ways to play Space Hulk missions experimenting with different forces.

Space Crusade was a slapped-up game that was made in conjuction with MB to sell to a wider kiddy market. I can still remember seeing the TV adds, they were pitched at kids. The rules were dull, the gameplay was simplistic and the host of aliens were not consistent from a fluff point of view.

Space Crusade was a great game as a 'hook' to get people into the 40K Universe, other than that, it sucked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:17 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I played Space Crusade with my family for a number of months last year. I enjoyed the games immensly at first, being the Alien player I could surprise everyone with where I hid my troops and had the opportunity to swing the advantage of the battle back in my favour with the use of strategy cards. The main plus about Space Crusade was how simple the rules were, simple enough for my parents to play and not having to be reminded before every game (wish I could say the same about Quest!). The game also made you think about tactics, where to place your troops and getting teams to support each other.

The biggest problem with Space Crusade was with its campaign system, as HeroQuestFrance says there was plenty of new equipment and advantages you could accumulate but these were made available far too quickly. The Mission booklet outlined 12 different missions, by the end of mission 4 my brother and I were already one promotion away from winning the campaign and had picked up virtually all the extra equipment. This made the game far too easy for the Space Marine players and I agree with tezzajw that the Space Marine Commanders were unkillable, and even if you did manage that amazing feat they were only worth the same to the Alien player as a marine with a heavy weapon.

Although I have never played Space Hulk the scope of the game seems much bigger than what you get with Space Crusade, and this is probably the reason the advanced game was created. Bottom line is that Space Crusade is great fun if you want a one off game with someone who is inexperienced with wargaming, for anything beyond that you need to be looking at games with greater depth like Space Hulk.

Lost_Heretic wrote:
Remember, this is 40K. Logic takes the backseat and kewl is doing the driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:55 am 
Private
Private

tezzajw said:
Quote:
Step 1 - Play Blood Angels.
Step 2 - Arm your Commander with the Power Sword and Power Glove.
Step 3 - Take the Bionic Arm, Force Field and Melta Bomb Equipment Cards.
Step 4 - It doesn't matter what the rest of your squad does...

Your Commander will be almost unbeatable with that combination of wargear. You can run around the ship and close assault anything to death. When you meet a Dreadnought, throw a Melta Bomb at it. Use the rest of your squad to defend the Commander, it doesn't even matter if they die. I have won many missions where all I needed was only my Commander.

I haven't played it in over 15 years but that just reminded me of exactly what i took in most games.

I mostly made sure that the other teams didnt get wiped using my squad to cover them.

The blood angels were unstoppable with that combo.

Since then I have gained a healthy dislike of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:23 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

I think the best part about those games* was the availability of models and the fact that you could re-purpose them for regular tabletop.

A friend of mine beefed out his Space Wolf Terminators with his set of 'Hulk/Deathwing models...

*Don't get me wrong -- I loved moving blips around!! :D

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:33 am 
Private
Private

I bought the SH game for 40 pounds and it was only after i started 40k I realised I had 2 term squads and the starting force of twenty stealers which would have cost sixty pounds to buy in squads.

Maybe thats why GW discontinued the game.