Login |  Register |  FAQ

Westerns

Post subject: Westerns
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:37 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Anyone into western skirmish games. I just picked up Tombstones and Tumbleweeds from gamewerks. Played it once so far seems to be a cool game. I also have once upon a time in the west (but I have failed to find anyone willing to play it enough times to even learn the basic rules, talk about a complicated game).

Has anyone played the newer GW western game?

Just curious if anyone elses has tried it or other western style games and would like to share thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:40 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

I've played a couple games of GW's Legends of the Old West. I found it to be a bit simplistic for my tastes. Now bare in mind that to me Necromunda or 40K Rogue Trader are my ideas of great skirmish games.

The rules seems to focus on keeping things moving where the action was on playing the game rather than playing the rules. I felt like the rules were sort of a simplified version of Necromunda and other games in the Warhammer line. But others who have played it compare it more closely with GW's Lord of the Rings skirmish game, which I have not played.

If I had some friends that were really into the western games I would definitely play. I think it would be fun to build terrain for wild west games. I've seen some great model towns both online and in person. The Foundry sells the dozens and dozens of models for the old west. Though they are smaller than the 28mm scale that more mainstream games use.

Check them out here:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/books/oldwest.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:28 am 
Necroliscious

any more thoughts on this game? as it seems intersting and i'd be tempted to play it as a lighter alternateive to necro

which books do you think are neceasry to play, is the first one enough, or do you need the later books for it to be fully playable.

Its wierd having to buy rules, am used to downloadable rules from specailst games :D P>S> thank you very much GW!