Login |  Register |  FAQ

Axis & Allies (new) vs Axis & Allies (old)

Post subject: Axis & Allies (new) vs Axis & Allies (old)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:03 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I am avid Axis and Allies player of the original boxed set. But there is a new set coming out from WotC. I am curious if anyone has played this and what the differences between the two games are.

Already I have heard that the tanks in the New version have an attack and defend stat of 3/3.

In my opinion that one little number change (assuming the costs of the tanks don't change) changes the whole dynamic of land combat.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:41 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I've played the old one so many times that it got boring. Once you get to know the game, it comes down to a single strategy, and luck of the dice. The new one is very well balanced (with the exception of the optional National Advantages rules), and still gives you more strategic options. In my opinion, there's no contest between the two, new one all the way.

The map is the best part of the new one, everything else is just icing on the cake.

Tanks: That's balanced by the fact that there is artillery now. Artilery is 2/2, and each one makes one accompanying infantry 2/2. Arty costs 4 IPC. Without tank defense improving, tanks would suck.

You also have destroyers now, which are 3/3 without any land bombardment options. The optional 2-hit battleship rules is now a standared rule. Oh yeah, and fighters now cost 10 IPC.

BTW, A&A Europe and Pacific are both great too, especially Pacific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:17 pm 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

Yeah, I just found out about this... and the 3/3 tanks were the only thing I had doubts about, but now that I think about the artillery thing then that's more appropriate and I have no reservations about it....Time to pick up a copy :evil:

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:05 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

They made Russia have more territories to defend bt gave no more money to do it (historical plus)
They also made Germany in more of a pickle at the start
The War in the Pacific did not really change other then giving Japan more money each turn but they gave America more money too
I am more old school but I likeed the 2.5 (for lack of a better word )better All 3 variant of the main game are out standing but if the Axis players are not more experienced they will lose almost everytime

In personal experience it depends on what Russia does turn one of it digs in the allies are going to have a rough day if they attack the Axis have a rough day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:28 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I've been looking into getting the new version of A&A. I've played it, but not in a couple of years.

Being a Red Leg, I like the idea of Artillery. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:01 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

As i said some thing were better otherswere not,

As a normal British player the game didnt really effect me until i play the axis. The fact that you almost have to make a few choices that never would have happened in hte war is a bit of a disapointment but it happens