Login |  Register |  FAQ

Developing a wargame (and some faction stuff...)

Post subject: Developing a wargame (and some faction stuff...)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:20 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Hi there.

Been trying to develop a wargame. And I need a little feedback on how it's gonna go.

It's a tabletop sci-fi/fantasy game that's set on a different planet (that's interestingly enough populated by humans). It's gonna use a D6 system, though I might change that to D10 or something.

It's gonna concentrate more on the troops rather than uber-hard HQ models that kick everyones asses, it does have commander style models but they have only slightly better statistics than the common soldiery. Each faction WILL have their share of uber-hard heroes though but they are just special characters.

It has five opposing factions each vying for complete dominance of the planet (well except the mercs...) And they go like this.

The Commonwealth of Rhand - These are the good guys of sorts. A technologically advanced democracy that has a habit of 'policing the world' as it were. Armed with some serious firepower the Commonwealth is pretty much the shootiest faction in the game.

The Kasran Empire - The largest nation in the game fluffwise. They're an industrial powerhouse and a force to be reckoned with. These guys are a combat faction through-and-through. Even their most basic troops are heavily armoured which weighs them down some so they're fairly slow, but when they get into combat, boy will they hit hard.

The Devout - Another combat faction, however unlike the Kasrans they are not as well protected. Though why do you need armour when you have unquestionable faith in the One True God to protect you...the extra points spared to buy more troops dosen't hurt though.

The Mutant Raiders - Survivors of a nuclear catastrophe (though 'survive' is hardly the key word), and have become hideous mutants. They are pretty poor at shooting and combat, but are able to field loads of models in an army. This is the horde army of the game.

Mercenaries - They're mercs, nuff said. You can either field them as allies or as an army in their own right. They are decent in both shooting and combat. But suffer from a poor leadership stat. They'll fight like demons until they start to lose.

Well that's it more or less. If you have feedback then please feel free.

love and kisses

cupcake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:47 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Oh yeah, here's something I thought about just now.

All ranged reapons have an ammo roll (like necromunda) and if you fail it then you can't shoot with that weapon anymore. But don't fret as the weapon still has a use. It can be used an an 'improvised weapon', which is a combat weapon used with the users strength stat. For example a guy with a rifle runs out of ammo, what does he do? Turns the gun around and use it as a club.

Also, for more comedic purposes than anything else. A guy uses a pistol and runs out of ammo, he can just throw the pistol at the bad guys (and hoping it clonks someone in the head, causing some fatal head injury, unlikely but still), turning it into an 'imporvised thrown weapon'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:50 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sounds pretty good so far. What is it you need help with?

And as for a system, why not make use of the rarely used D8?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:45 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

A D8 huh? Interesting, how does that particular system work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:49 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

More or less the same way as a D6 system - you just take into account the increased number of possible results. A friend of mine made an RPG based on the D8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:17 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Hmmm...okay. I'll try that D8 system, if it dosen't work then never mind I'll just go back to D6. Thanks man!

cupcake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

No problem. The D8 is rarely used, so a system using it is likely to be seen as more original, regardless of whether or not it borrows heavily from another system. Originality blended with familiarity tends to draw people in, from what I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm 
Iconoclast

don't limit yourself to one dice. d8 sounds all right and it could go together quite well with d4. kinda d6/d3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:57 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

OK, got another problem...

Been writing the army list for the Commonwealth and came up to writing rules for one of the special characters.

Basically, he comes equipped with a special suit developed from revived ancient tech and it enables him to deflect missile fire before it even goes near him. But I don't know how to go by it.

Do I give him a bonus to his 'Luck' (i'm changing that) stat when he's shot at? Or maybe have a sort of 'scatter' rule when he is shot at? Or maybe something else?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

'Good health and may you always roll high.'

cupcake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:15 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Well it depends.
Does the suit make him impervious to missile fire, or does it only work 'most of the time'?
If he's not made completely immune, you could give him an unmodified save against shooting attacks, or have an additional to hit modifier on shooting attacks, to represent the difficulty in scoring a direct hit on him.
Also, depending on the detail of the system, you'll need to determine where the shots are deflected to, mainly for explosive projectiles, and in a detailed game, non-explosive projectiles as well.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Does this suit actually physically deflect the shot? As in, cause the projectile to bounce off in another direction?

If that is the case, I'd be tempted to make all shots that "hit" automatically scatter. This could be a mixed blessing, as the shots could scatter into his own men.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Quote:
Does this suit actually physically deflect the shot? As in, cause the projectile to bounce off in another direction?

Not quite, according to the fluff I've written for him, each shot taken at him pretty much changes direction every time they go near him thanks to that suit leaving him unscathed.

Quote:
If that is the case, I'd be tempted to make all shots that "hit" automatically scatter. This could be a mixed blessing, as the shots could scatter into his own men.

You know that's given me an idea. I could have his rules so that every shot taken at him requires a scatter roll (with 'hit' taken as a direct hit to him, suit or otherwise). And chances are, each deflected shot is goanna hit one of his men unfortunate to be nearby. Or perhaps hit the guy that took the shot? That way it totally goes to chance as to what happens.

Post subject: Re: Developing a wargame (and some faction stuff...)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:08 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

cupcake wrote:
It's gonna concentrate more on the troops rather than uber-hard HQ models that kick everyones asses, it does have commander style models but they have only slightly better statistics than the common soldiery.

You know, I kind of got a laugh when I read this. I starting thinking about real world situations.

For example, I work in a museum in a customer service type job. it is absurd to think the the director is twice as strong as me, has 2 more attacks, and a conversion field. Funny, huh?

Sorry. A little off topic.