Login |  Register |  FAQ

Rules Set

Post subject: Rules Set
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:21 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Here is the rough idea I created way back in high school about a World War II platoon level wargame similar to the computer based Close Combat. My idea was to create an in depth game that is somewhere between Command Decision and Epic 40,000.

The concepts I tried to implement in the rules are the following:

-----
1/285 scale
Hidden orders
Fog of war
Reality without sacrificing the fun factor
-----

The concepts I did not focus on are:

-----
Fairness
Speed of play
Special characters
Luck
-----

The turn is divided into phases where both players act together:

-----
Shooting Phase
Movement Phase
Assault Phase
Orders Phase
Recovery Phase
-----

Unique concepts:
1. Each leader on the battlefield is allowed to give one order, and it is placed down by the player with facedown counters. This is done at the same time, so players will have to make educated decisions about what their opponent will do and counter those perceptions appropriately. For those of you who have played games like Laser Squad Nemesis, you know exactly what I am talking about.

2. Suppressing fire: An order can be given to dish out sustained fire at a specific area. Depending on the magnitude of the sustained fire, enemy units within that area can effectively be pinned and will be limited in actions.

3. Morale: If any unit suffers damage or when bad things happen to it, their morale takes a hit. Likewise, if a unit accomplishes something good like destroying a tank or capturing an objective, their morale goes up. Troops with better morale fight better.

Optional rules:

-----
Winded and fatigue rules
Time of day and weather
Airborne Operations with Guard/Sentry rules
Amphibious Operations
-----

This is a very rough description of my wargame. If anyone would like more details as to a specific part, I will describe it. However, all I have is the original printout from 1999 in the glory of its 58 pages. I no longer have the computer it was written on. However, I will re-type it and in the process of re-typing, I will edit it to streamline the rules and fix problems I didn’t have the time to fix in high school.

I will appreciate all comments and suggestions given.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:43 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Well first off, let me say welcome to the Eastern Fringe.

Secondly, it is about time we got another Forum member that actually likes 1/285th or 6mm scale.

I too am working on a set of rules for that scale. Although I am going for a sci-fi version.

Is your rules meant strictly for WWII?

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:56 am 
Recruit
Recruit

I am focusing on WWII at first. I matched the rules with physical aspects of guns and machines in WWII, but really the rules can definitely be branched out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:37 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

So how do the three basics work in your game? In other words...

How do I move?
How do I shoot?
How do I cause damage?

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:22 am 
Recruit
Recruit

In the re-print I switched the phases around so it would be more user friendly:

Orders
Shooting
Movement
Assault
Recovery

Very roughly, allow me to answer your questions:

Orders are given in the orders phase and some of those orders are orders involving movement. However, the default order is the guard order. Units under this order cannot move unless they are crawling behind cover. Also, units on guard will always fire their weapons at the closest enemy, or the closest tank if they are AT. The to-hit roll is a D20 with a list of modifiers. Simply, a 10+ will hit. Each weapon has a 'Power,' level and for every Power that successfully hits a target, an additional D20 is rolled on a damage chart.

The orders involoving movement have an arrow on them. The arrow must point in the direction the unit will be moving. Remember, each player places the orders face down at the same time, so you don't know exactly what the other is doing.

Once the movement phase comes along, all the movement ordered must be accomplished. The order of accomplishment doesn't matter. It is assumed that all the units are moving at the same time. Foot units can advance 4 cm. (14 meters) in a turn or run 7 cm. (24.5 meters). Close combat is done in the assault phase.

I am not going to give too many more details, but this is the rough idea that started the game. The rules I am re-writing are much more descriptive and extensive. There are 58 pages in the origional rules, and I am on page 11 of the re-write. I am using a number of examples and pictoral references to break up the set of rules.

Thanks for taking the time to review my ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:37 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Wow, this is some pretty cool stuff. But at the scale you are using it seems a bit complicated.

I want to ask more about it, but I don't want you to inadvertantly give away any of your trade secrets. But when your rules are ready for review I would love to read them in detail.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:08 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks for not asking too much detail. Has anyone actually tried bringing a game such as this one to a gaming company?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:53 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Well I haven't, the game I am designing is more for my own amusements then anything else. I just find the current market of sci-fi games lacking. (although Rackhams AT-43 is looking promising) so I decided to make my own with the aspects that I like in a game.

McCragge