Login |  Register |  FAQ

Individual units

Post subject: Individual units
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:35 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Here is another idea. Instead of having a number of counters scattered about the table, perhaps individual units can have little pinholes where information about them can be displayed. By doing this, more detail can be introduced into the game (like damage levels and morale) by simply adding a colored pin to the infantry stand.

There are no added notes... besides the color scheme there is nothing to remember... I guess this is similar to the way information is displayed on characters in games like Hero Clix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:53 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

That is an interesting idea, and much better then having free floating chits and tons of unit cards on the side of the table. Plus have the cool colored banners would be nice.

But, what about vehicles? Would you be drilling a bunch of holes in them for mulitple flag issues? Also, it would be quite time consuming to make all the flags necessary for a moderately sized game.

However, at 6mm scale, it would probably be a very workable and worthwhile idea.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:06 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Pinholes for vehicles sound archaic. Instead, a simple cotton ball attached to the tanks ass will tell it is damaged, and a black cotton ball—or an overturned tank—will tell it is destroyed. In my play testing version, I am using homemade chits glued on that thin foam stuff you get at craft stores for units. For the information displays, I am using regular sewing pins with multicolored heads. I cut the pin down to a quarter inch and it sticks nicely in the foam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:39 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Can units have more then one infliction at any one time? I mean, will you have to add multiple pins of various colors, or would it advance up in colors. For example, a blue pin would be a mild problem, and then graduate to a green pin, and finally a red pin to show it is serious trouble.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:12 am 
Recruit
Recruit

In general, I was just tossing around the idea. Specifically for the game I am creating, there are only two holes per stand. One is used for damage, and there is only one level of damage before the unit is destroyed, and the other hole is to represent any change in morale. Currently, I have five levels of morale, but this might be changed to three if I find five too complicated.