Login |  Register |  FAQ

Best way to measure: edge of base or center of miniature?

Post subject: Best way to measure: edge of base or center of miniature?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:59 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

It seems like different gaming groups have different takes on the subject. The folks I play with usually measure from the edge of the base of the moving or firing model to the edge of the base of the target model. But the rules for many games (like 40K I believe) state that you measure from the center of the miniature.

What are the pros and cons of each system? Which one is better?

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

It's like 1/2 an inch difference. Who is that ANAL!!!????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:46 am 
Private
Private

1/2 an inch can make a huge difference though. Is that huge squad of CC monsters just in charge range or just outside etc etc. I'm that anal. :)

To be honest i go with the flow though, i dont care which method is used so long as the same method is used by both players for the whole game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:59 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

I agree with Kop, if the same method is used the whole game it doesn't matter.
And the 1/2 inch does make a difference, I just played a game (see Battle report; Bunker assault in the 40K forum) where my opponent's Terminator assault squad, who failed to turn up for nearly the entire game, scattered when they deep-striked, only managed to engage two models of my Devastator squad, then, when they had their consolodation they were out of follow-up range by about a quarter of an icnh (measruring for the centre of the model) so it CAN make a difference, taking this example, if we'd been measuring form the base, they would have followed up, and probably slaughtered the Devastators, awarding a large amount of VPs to my opponent (but I probably would have won anyway, since I held two bunkers, giving me a tasty 1000 Vps) However in a different situation, that 1/2 inch could be the difference between a win and a loss (possibly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:27 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Look, you will have good players and bad players. We can't change that. But from the stand point of writing rules which one is better?

Personally, I like measuring from the edge of the base. The base is clean and exact. When you throw down a template if it touches a model's base then they are effected (or have a change to be). Why not make ranged attacks work the same way? The plastic slotta base to my mind, defines the miniature.

I also don't like measuring from the "middle" of the miniature. Most of the time people just use the top of the miniature's head as a the middle. But a lot of miniatures are modelled and based so that their heads aren't exactly in the center of their base's foot print. So then you end up kind of guesstimating where the center of the miniature is. This is especially troublesome in contentious games were the exact distance is crucial.

The only time I like about using the center of the model is when the model is a vehicle. Otherwise if you use the edge of the vehicle then players are penalized for having larger vehicles. It creates a situation where players are encouraged to model vehicles really small and unrealistic looking because it make them slightly more effective in the rules.

So I see pros and cons to both systems. But a game designer really should consider these things. Which method do you go with?

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:50 pm 
Private
Private

If you are talking a hard rule regarding one or the other my preference would be for from the edge, it is more precise in most cases than from the 'middle' for the very reasons you say, the cases where from the edge is inferior are the minority so get overruled in my book. If its left up to me i use from the edge but to be honest i have never had from the middle cause any real issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:51 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

we measure from the edge of the base, cuz like you say its clean and exact, and to my mind the base represents the model's "personal space," its appr. reach for hth and appr where the muzzles of their guns are. But mainly cuz its exact.

:atten But if you EVER find yourself arguing over whether its 8" or 8 1/2", i want you to STOP and take a long hard look in the mirror.... :atten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:08 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

I agree with shiver on that one..... we always measure form the base edge as it defines the models 'space'. It seems totally unrealistic to go from the middle in any circumstance. It is clear and defined with no room for argument. As such it should be set as a fundamental rule.

I would disagree with truckler on measuring to/from a vechicle from the centre point. Although it has the possibility of abuse if you regulate all vechicles to a standard hull size eg. all rhino variants use the basic chasis for measurement.

I use this when playing with my largely converted Excorcist which is about twice the size of a standard rhino. It works well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:18 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I have a gang of converted Scavvies. If I used any other method apart from base edge I would have a great deal of trouble measuring. Trying to get ruler in the right place would be hard enough.

Also some of the models overhang the base just a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

If I had to say in a totally clear-cut way, then I would go with base edge, (It's what I mostly do anyway, just in that game we weren't)
I don't get how measruring for the centre of the vehicle would work, I always measure from the edge (of the vehicle if it doesn't have a base)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:44 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

On models with a base, measure from base-edge to base-edge. As mentioned before, its cleaner, easier and generally less prone to accidental (or deliberate) mis-measuring.

I don't have any vehicles, so how to measure with vehicles which don't have a base has never been a concern for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

We used to always measure from the centre of a figures base or the centre of a vehicle. I'm not sure why this is so confusing to other people? Is it really that hard to locate the centre of the base? This keeps everything uniform and fair. After all people can have various base sizes for their units.

We switched to measuring from base edge to base edge because of the overwhelming popularity of this method by other players. We didn't want to have to switch back and forth measuring methods when we played.

We also realized that measuring from the base edge is the official way to measure according to the 40k rulebook (it's near the beggining in base and height guidelines pg.6). Strangely, the same section says that you can mount your figures on as big a base as you want!?

This change does affect the game significantly. For years we maintained a unit coherency of 2" between the centre of figures, but by measuring from the base edge it allows your units to be spread out much further. Even though we are now measuring from the base edge most of our players still have a tendency to cluster their squads together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:07 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Admittedly Squad Coherency may be affected, but not much apart from that.

For example, during deployment, if you're using the base edge then you end up no closer to the enemy than using the centre of the base.