Login |  Register |  FAQ

Always consider the players/consumers

Post subject: Always consider the players/consumers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:44 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Ever heard this:

...by gamers, for gamers.

Everybody is always trying to convince you how authentic they are and how dedicated to helping you, the average gamer. I think this happens in a lot of industries, but I see it a whole bunch in the miniature gaming industry. Maybe its because everyone, in order to succead, has to distinguish themselves from Games Workshop who is often portrayed as a giant corporate monster.

What got me thinking about this is the Quick Start rules for the new miniature game Infinity. The 28 page PDF for the Infinity quick start rules are very attractive and well presented, but the pages range from partially to almost entirely black!!! If you are printing these rules on a inkjet printer you will probably empty an entire ink cartridge on this document!

What the heck where the makers of Infinity thinking?

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:48 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Is there a way to copy and paste the text to something like winword or something similiar that is more printer friendly.

The folks at Infinity were probably thinking more about the looks and layout then printing and such. Ah well...actually, if enough people send them email asking nicely maybe they will write up a new more printer friendly version...after all it is the quick start rules.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:03 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Its a PDF file so you can't copy and paste from it.

I think you're right though. They were most likely thinking only in terms of what would look cool from a design sense and not thinking about the problems of actually printing it.

Still though, this seems to me like an issue that should be considered as part of game design. I mean, I'd much rather have some fancy layout and formating for the rules than the all to common poorly formated Word document that many free rulesets are distributed on.

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:00 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Nevermind the printer unfriendly quickstart rules. I gots me a translated document containing the Infinity beta rules which is much more printer friendly and has pretty much the same content.

cupcake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:27 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

cupcake wrote:
Nevermind the printer unfriendly quickstart rules. I gots me a translated document containing the Infinity beta rules which is much more printer friendly and has pretty much the same content.

cupcake.

Well, that's good for you Cupcake. But unless the makers of Infinity plan to give out those printer friendly beta-rules to everyone then the problem is still there.

Forethought, that's what is needed. It seems like the whole idea of quick start rules is to allow people to try out the game without them having to spend anything. But if I had an inkjet printer and tried to print two copies of those quick start rules it would probably cost me a whole black ink cartridge! Game designers should always make it as easy as possible to get access to their game, its rules, background, photos of the miniatures, etc. A well established web presence seems mandatory these days. Free quick start rules, if not totally free rules, are the way to go.

Truckler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:18 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I have printed out the black bordered Infinity rules (I have a laser printer), and there is also another problem with them... the company should really consider having the English language version edited by a native English speaker. The game's miniatures and rules have a nicely polished and professional look, but reading them gives the impression of something made kids.