Login |  Register |  FAQ

Britain in the not so distant future

Post subject: Britain in the not so distant future
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:04 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

speshul wrote:
perhaps this needs to be split into two threads, a short but sweet abstract necro light, and this new world campagin settings where we can add more rules in intersting campaing settings, and events, perhaps rescource meters for food, tecnology, weapons/ammo and fuel, this could get as deep as we liked,

so lets get started...

actually i posted this in Necromunda, and i think we'll be using a modified necromunda rule structure, but this really belongs in sci fi or somewhere like that. Can one of the the mods move it for me please?

Anyway, here's a start on the fluff:
"there was no apocalypse, no missiles, no bombing, no nukes. things just started falling apart. the gaslines got cut off, then the food started running short. they started with protests, and then riots. The called the army in to stop it, try and impose some order. that just made things worse. within hours, they were shelling the city centers. the country had been at breaking point. that broke it. how long did it take? 2 months? 3? i don't remember. when the tv stopped, and the papers stopped it was easy to lose track. there's no law, not out here. in the big towns there's police of sorts -gangs of f**king blackshirts- but out here no. theres the deserters in the hills, and thieves and pikeys in the woods. we boarded up the windows, and we cut down the trees by the gate. anyone comes up the lane now, we see them. and we shoot."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:50 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Well i guess the real problem is there arn't a whole lot of firearms in britian, maybe an illegal pistol here or there, a break open shotgun for shooting fowl but that's about it.

So unless you want a game about pikeys running around with kitchen knives, cricket bats and shovels you're going to have to make alterations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:58 pm 
Necroliscious

i think that is the point of the setting, to make guns slightly less abundant. plus its nice to have something not set in america :D

There are enough guns, plenty of shotguns, hunting rifles, the millitary could provide some.

as said in the other thread love the concept.

this could lead to an interesting events table.
perhaps resources to manage.
vehicle rules, and management
from the original thread perhaps smaller gangs perhap vehicular based.
less terrain as well generall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:06 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

you see, that's the beauty of setting it in a non-specific point in the future, anything could happen :wink: The idea is partly to make guns a bit less prevalent, and of the guns there will be, many will have been stolen from military and law enforcement forces. and some will be antiques stashed in the wars (there's a lot of that went on) or bought from the IRA. i'd like to see a real variety of guns, from SMLEs to HK G36s. and lots of shotguns, double barreled shotguns :P

but pikeys running around with kitchen knives, shovels and cricket bats is good too.

Last edited by shiver85 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:08 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Quote:
There are enough guns, plenty of shotguns, hunting rifles, the millitary could provide some.

Yeah right like the military is going to start shelling out guns for everyone trying to kill each other, in the worst possible circumstances the military would setup a mafia and simply take whatever they wanted from civilians, after all who's going to stop them?
28 days later anyone?

Anyway the setting makes absolutely no sense, (&#$@!) like that just doesn't "happen" your explanations are poorly thought out and completely unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:15 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

oi! Negative nancy! stow it!

the idea is the country has descended into total anarchy. the military aren't giving out guns, they've fallen apart like everything else (if you'd scanned the Necro LITE thread this has grown out of, you'd see i cited 28 days as one of the inspirations for this. http://www.easternfringe.com/forum/view ... 7&start=15 )

Alright, this is all a bit far fetched, i know. but we're on a 40k forum, we have space elves, daemons and laser guns. So just leave us to our little pet project would you? please?

EDIT: 28 days later, Dog Soldiers, Cold Mountain, Mad Max (specifically 1, not the others), Snatch, Lorna Doone (BBC adaptation, '99 i think), Reign of Fire, China Mieville: Looking for Jake (short story), Susan Price: The Sterkham Handshake

oh, and Straw Dogs

Last edited by shiver85 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:24 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Quote:
the idea is the country has descended into total anarchy. the military aren't giving out guns, they've fallen apart like everything else (if you'd scanned the Necro LITE thread this has grown out of, you'd see i cited 28 days as one of the inspirations for this.

LOL, ok think of it this way.
It's every man for himself and you belong to a well structured well funded, well equipped military unit.
You have two options which is more likely?

A) Using your training and comradery rule the city like kings taking whatever you want whenever you want.
Or
B) Decide to loadup some equipment and take your chances out in the hostile unknown.

I know which any 'sane' person would do.

Quote:
Alright, this is all a bit far fetched, i know. but we're on a 40k forum, we have space elves, daemons and laser guns. So just leave us to our little pet project would you? please?

*Cough cough* cop-out cop-out.
The problem with your statement is, your game isn't set in the 40k universe so it shouldn't require conforming to the usual brand of GW stupid, right?

28 days works BECAUSE the city has been infected with a horrible biological outbreak.
Your setting doesn't work because well.... you don't have any plausible reason for it TO work.

I'm not being negative, you are selling youself short, i'm sure you could do better, so hey how about you try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:35 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

hey man, it's early days. this idea has been circulating on the forum for just a couple of hours so far; its not exactly perfectly honed yet. And frankly, i'm more interested in the setting than the fictitious events that lead to it. frankly, we could draw a veil over it and leave it ambiguous, and it wouldn't worry me a jot. this setting could be in twenty years time, or two hundred, but it was never supposed to be tomorrow.

maybe its the mirror fish. maybe its the c'tan, i REALLY don't care. the setting works cuz i say so, call it "artistic license" if you like. either way, you can either help us or just keep being a negative nancy, or shut up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:56 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Yarlen Fireblade wrote:
Well i guess the real problem is there arn't a whole lot of firearms in britian, maybe an illegal pistol here or there, a break open shotgun for shooting fowl but that's about it.

So unless you want a game about pikeys running around with kitchen knives, cricket bats and shovels you're going to have to make alterations.

this is easily solved, just set it in USA instead :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:25 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Danger Mouse wrote:
Yarlen Fireblade wrote:

this is easily solved, just set it in USA instead :)
:P we did invent football hooliganism you know, we can figth with the best of 'em, aint that right shiver?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:28 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

oh aye, it's not called the "english disease" for nothing

Last edited by shiver85 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:52 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Well, there's scarcely any need to flesh out the history just yet anyway. Come up with the kind of setting you want, then come up with some cyberpunk degenerate-society fluff in which guns have come to be easily accessibl in the UK, or whatever. There's no need to bicker abou the history yet; it's not necessary until the present-day of this setting has been established.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:05 pm 
Private
Private

This world is very believable. The world today is almost run out of oil so what happens to an island nation dependent on oil? Transportation, import, export shuts down... No fuel = no reinforcements + angry civilian mob = the military getting its butt kicked. Civilization would degrade in a matter of weeks/months as food supply drys up cities become uninhabitable wastelands plauged by violent mobs, gangs, packs of wild pre-owned starving dogs etc. Farming communities would band together to fend off mobs of people leaving the cities desperate for food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:05 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

ntw-yepp, thats pretty much right
warguru- thats about what i had in mind, yeah

anyway, setting; i think we set this when the initial anarchy has died down a bit, and the country's reached a sort of lawless equilibrium. there's still raiding, fighting etc. but various people have set themselves up as warlords and chieftains. you've got two factions right there: those still clinging to the democratic ideals of the old world, and those who have become feudal boss-men. and of course, those who are just trying to survive in this brave new world and sod the ideology

as for mechanics; we use the basic necromunda structure (move, shoot, hth, recovery etc.) but change it to a D10 system. this would mean you could have a greater range of stats- ie not just S/T 2-4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:14 pm 
Private
Private

If its going to be each player is the leader of there own little commuinty you will also need resource management and opportunity to build/upgrade you village.

Plus the longer civilization is gone the more technology is going to degenerate. Guns will malfunction ammunition will run out and wont be replaced. Vehicles will break down. Fuel is scarce.

For resource management you need a couple of major resources but you dont want o many. Im thinking

Food
Water
Fuel
Ammo
Population

possibly
wood?
stone?
metal?

Money would become useless. You would have to allocate population to different jobs

Construction
Farming
Research
Military