Login |  Register |  FAQ

Would this work?

Post subject: Would this work?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:19 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Hi there.

Been doing a little playtesting for my game and found the method I'm using for 'hitting and wounding' to be a little...well boring. So I was thinking about whether or not this would work (would mean a bit of rewriting of my rules but ah well...)?

Roll to Hit: Roll as many d6 as stated in the model's Attack stat (or the weapon's Firepower stat if using a ranged attack). Every die that rolls equal to or lower than the model's CC/BS stat counts as a hit.

Roll to Wound: Remove the d6 that had missed and also an additional amount of dice according to the target's Armour stat. Roll the remaining d6, any which rolls equal to or lower than the target's Body stat counts as a wound.

So for example: An attacking model with a BS of 3 fires a ranged weapon with a Firepower rating of 5d6. It rolls a 1, a 2, another 2, a 6, and a 5. The attacking model removes the 2 dice that missed, leaving it with 3d6.

The target model has an Armour rating of 1 so the attacker has to remove another d6, leaving it with 2d6 to try and wound the target.

The target has a Body rating of 3 so the attacker needs to roll equal to or lower than 3 to wound the target.

Well that's that, I was just wondering whether or not this would work. Please be gentle...

peace.

cupcake

Post subject: Re: Would this work?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:40 am 
Private
Private

cupcake wrote:
Well that's that, I was just wondering whether or not this would work.

I can see a few potential problems.

First, rolling equal two or less will limit your stats to 6 or less. So you might lose ability to have super tough dudes. This is only a minor problem but you need to think about how to resolve the issue.

Secondly, since Armor subtract from the number of hits, you will need to roll the attack dice for each shooting figure one at a time (or otherwise distinguish their dice). This can be a hassle when rolling for 10 identical figures. Also, since the Armor automatically removed 1 attack, a character with an Armor of 1 will be immune to any shooter that only has an attack or firepower of one. This will limit your ability to design grunt or swarm type opponents.

Finally, with your method you are combining chance to hit with weapon damage. There isn't a way to stat up a weapon that has a small chance to hit but will kill you if it does hit (ala Lascannon). Any high-damage weapon will have to have large numbers of Firepower (to overcome the dice removed from high Armor), but having a large Firepower will also make the weapon never miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:08 am 
Gunner
Gunner

I was kind of hoping to use Firepower as a means to represent the likelyhood of hitting and killing an enemy (not a die for each individual attack like what warhammer does). Like say for example you graze some dude's arm with a lascannon yet just happen to blow the same guy's head off with a bb gun. Okay bad example, but you get the idea.

The average (unmodified) amount of attack dice would be somewhere around 5d6 (which is why i used that as the example), keep in mind that there will also be positive modifiers that increase the amount of dice too, so you could have a 3d6 attack and end up having 8d6 (for example) on a good day.

Quote:
Secondly, since Armor subtract from the number of hits, you will need to roll the attack dice for each shooting figure one at a time (or otherwise distinguish their dice). This can be a hassle when rolling for 10 identical figures. Also, since the Armor automatically removed 1 attack, a character with an Armor of 1 will be immune to any shooter that only has an attack or firepower of one. This will limit your ability to design grunt or swarm type opponents.

A lot of the weapons would have a Penetration stat so armour might not even be a problem. So say if a target has an armour of 2 and the attacker ends up with just 1d6 but its weapon has a penetration value of 2 then the armour is not a problem, the attacker justs needs to roll and hope it hits something squishy. Plus some of the units I have designed are quite hard to kill, and some don't even HAVE armour.

Thank you for the feedback!

Good health and may you always roll high (or low, depending on what you're playing)!

cupcake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:28 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

The way my friend did it in his system he developed was to roll to see if you hit on D6's. Then if you hit check the damage to the target. You have 4 levels of body armor. Ranging from non, light , medium and heavy. Heavy gives each body area 3 blocks of protection.

So if I hit someone with a weapon that did 4 points of damage say in the chest and they are wearing heavy armor the armor would soak 3 points of damage and the target would take one point of damage to the chest. Also the armor is now damaged and looses one point of protection, would only soak 2 points on the next hit to the chest.

Most NPC's and PC's in his system die from head wounds. :twisted:

He tried to keep the system as simple as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:56 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Quote:
Finally, with your method you are combining chance to hit with weapon damage. There isn't a way to stat up a weapon that has a small chance to hit but will kill you if it does hit (ala Lascannon). Any high-damage weapon will have to have large numbers of Firepower (to overcome the dice removed from high Armor), but having a large Firepower will also make the weapon never miss.

Okay how about this...

roll as many dice as stated on the model's CC/BS stat, each roll must be equal to or lower than some sort of defensive stat to count as a hit.

to wound, roll as many dice as stated on the weapon's strength stat, minus armour. each roll must be equal to or lower than the target's body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:07 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sounds good, you should play test it and see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:04 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Okay I playtested it, heres how it worked:

The model has a BS of 3, do gets to roll 3d6. It scored a hit to all three dice. (Might need to introduce a sort of critical hit system for situations like scoring all hits, same for scoring all misses)

Now with the roll to hit sorted, the model's weapon has a strength of 5d6, minus the target's armour of 2 left with 3d6, and scored a wound on two if the dice (might need to introduce a damage gague perhaps?)

Try it out, see if it works for you guys.

cupcake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:30 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

HA! Figured out a way to get critical hits and misses (if i used this method):

If you score all hits in the roll to hit, it is a critical hit. You get to roll an additional d6 when rolling for damage (so a 5d6 weapon becomes 6d6 for example).

If you score all misses, it is a critical miss. For ranged attacks the weapon malfunctions and is unable to be used anymore.

Need to see what works as a critical miss for melee attacks though, any suggestions?

cupcake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:14 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

You could have a critical miss in close combat represent over-reaching or losing your balance, thus leaving the poor sod open to his opponent's counter-attack. Perhaps, it reduces his defensive stat to zero for the next round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:25 am 
Necroliscious

the critical hit system might work, you have a higher chance of hitting something with a lower to hit value, thats ok as its likely to be weaker and there fore more vunerable to higher damage. so critical hits i am happy with

the inverse critical misses/ ranged weapons, seems dodgy, you have a hard to hit creature, there for you are likely to miss, therefore you are very likely to critical miss and therefore your gun is going to run out of ammo very quickly.

just my input.
perhaps criticals should be limited to 1s or 2s, so shooting at hard to hit objects isn't going to cripple shooting.

critical missed in cc seems ok , as it is more life and death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:17 am 
Gunner
Gunner

how about all 6's for critical hits and all 1's for the critical misses?