Login |  Register |  FAQ

Question on campaign rules

Post subject: Question on campaign rules
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:40 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Hey all,

I’m new to this list, so if this is the wrong forum to be posting something like this too, let me know. For a while now I’ve been working on a fantasy tabletop miniatures game. The game is in a stage of beta-testing right now (random off topic: I’m trying to find playtesters right now, if anyone is interested, or even would like to just look at the rules, Private Message me). I’m now working on developing campaign rules, and was looking for advice, thoughts, and feedback.

As a basic summary of the game: The Island of Illeria, long run by the most powerful wizards in the world, has become deserted. Because of this, small parties of characters are now raiding the island, searching for treasure, magical knowledge, and generally long lost secrets. Many do not survive long enough to escape. Each game consists of 2 warring parties (each with 5 characters). Character’s are completely customizable (and players can use any models they want), and each class has a set of available abilities which they can choose from. Additionally, because the island sits in the middle of a strange rift in the cosmos, each game takes place in two worlds (the real world and the spirit world), and actions on one affect the other.

In my game I’m trying to create a sense of desperation, that characters are fighting for their lives, and might now make it. I wanted to create a system where each player can use the same party game after game, and that the party will advance slowly (while at the same time being destroyed). The goal, unlike games like Necromunda, is not to play indefinitely, but rather to fight until your goal is accomplished (i.e. get enough treasure to return home), or (more often) until you are destroyed.

I guess before I say anything, even if you don’t want to critique any of the particulars, what do you think of this system? Is this something you’d actually play?

I have brainstormed a few possible penalty mechanisms:
-The party can only lose X games, then they are destroyed
-Each character can die in battle X times, then they remain dead
-Each time a character dies in battle, they become weakened (such as get -5 HP)
-If a character dies in battle, they have a % chance of dying
-If a party is annihilated in a battle, it causes major problems (such as each character has an additional 50% chance of dying)

For possible rewards:
-Each time you play, no matter what you gain X advancements for your party
-Each time you play, you get a random number of advancements
-Each character gets 1 advancement per game (or a random chance of one)
-Additional advancements are given for performing particular actions, for winning the game, for losing the game, or for fighting more powerful opponents
-XP is given each game (instead of direct level-ups), and it requires more and more XP per level of advancement (ie 5 XP to level 2, 10 to level 3, etc)

For the final goal, I’m debating whether you should need to win games to get closer to it, or just survive them.

Lastly, there are 4 types of behavior I want to discourage: players unwilling to retreat, players too willing to retreat, post-game rewards affecting in-game actions (cast a spell instead of charge to gain more XP), and death-cycles. I can go more in depth on these if any are confusing (I just figured this posting is getting too long as it is).

Anyways, this is getting really long. Sorry about that. I guess what do you think? Which of the possible rewards or penalties do you like, and which would frustrate you? What do you think would do the best job of discouraging the behavior I do and don’t want?

Thank you all so much in advance for any feedback you can give (please be ruthless, I can take it).

Simon

"Imitation is suicide" - Emerson

Post subject: Re: Question on campaign rules
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:47 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

More development

goldenslot