Hardback 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Coil bound 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 8

Books and Bindings

Post subject: Books and Bindings
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:13 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I have been bouncing around in here for a little. However, I would like to see some others reactions to this question. I know that I usualy have my paper back miniature books coil bound. That is because they lay flat and can be folded back to a specific page. What I would like to know, is which you prefer and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:22 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I don't have any coil bound gaming books, but I like the thinking behind why you have yours done. So I've voted for coil bound because ideally that's what I will get done.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:29 am 
Gunner
Gunner

after my brother indefinitely lend my Necromunda: Underhive rulebook to a friend of his I decided to print anew the whole ORB as well as the other articles/experimental rules, and I had them coil bounded;

they're pretty useful to be honest, but still I'd rather have a paperback official book; still not something like GW rulebooks, but more on the kind of Dp9's games, if you know what I mean (Dp9 are the guys behind Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg, Tribe 8, Jovian Chronicles and such), very bendy but still strong and plastified to withstand most stress...

so I voted for paperback, 'cause while coil bound is still great and hardback is too heavy/unwieldy instead, paperback gives me both the handiness and eye candy I so much yearn... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:23 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I am not really familiar with the company you mentioned. I have not seen their books. If you have a web site, I would like to take a look. Still Thanks Ciabs, and morbidprogeny for your opinions. Well I guess no one other than use three have ever thought about book bindings. I find this really hard to believe. Especialy since I got my first gaming book rebound in 1996 which was about 1 year after I really started gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:13 am 
Gunner
Gunner

the official site for Dp9 games is here; anyway I don't think there are pictures of books that can explain what I was suggesting, so maybe it's better if I expand my point;

the kind of book I was referring to is basically a paperback book that has plastified pages of good quality and thickness, and that comes with a cover just like some japanese mangas do; it's mainly the material it is done of that gives you the possibility to open and bend it any way you want to, but still mantains its shape after you've used it; again, the plastified paper it's made of lets you treat it without having to worry to damage it with water (well, at least small quantities of it) or other hazards...

still, I basically use coil bound for most of the games I've manuals, for I tend to get them on the net (like with Necro, or the old D&D3.5 SRD, ecc) and after printing the coil bound option is the most sensible practical-wise and economy-wise...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:38 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Thanks for the site tag. From what I gather they use a "Soft Back" binding. That is where the paper backing is reinforced with heavy plastic film. I think that is not a bad method. But, I still have the issue of folding back. I also see we have had some other votes. I would like to know why you prefer that binding? If you do not mind.