Login |  Register |  FAQ

Decent ruleset suggestions?

Post subject: Decent ruleset suggestions?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:33 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Howdy.

Been making a pen and paper based RP for a while now. It's seen much cutting, editing and still needs a lot of work on the background and whatnot. But one thing i've always struggled with is finding a decent set of rules to use.

I'm looking for a somewhat more realistic touch to this RP. Not along the lines of "Player 1 gets shot in the chest, minus 8 HP."
So far the closest thing that comes to mind is the Cthulhu set from Chaosium inc. Though i've only been recommended this and not actually browsed the rules myself. But I will in due time.

Any rp'ers out there want to throw a suggestion or two that fits the bill i'm looking for? It would mean a lot to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:12 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I think the best set of rules to use depends a lot on the game you are running. A very good set of modern rules with good ways of working out firearms combat might work poorly as a fantasy game that needs detailed rules for melee combat.

If I were going to adapt a set of rules to a slightly different application, I would use Shadowrun for any kind of high-tech setting.
- It has rules for things as diverse as automatic weapons, lasers, magic, non-human races, monsters, robots, cybernetics and computer hacking.
- Die rolls have margins of success so you don't just hit or miss. How good you are (and how lucky) determines how well you hit.
- Nobody is a blob of ablative hit points. Every character has two condition monitors, one for damage and the other for fatigue. Each has ten boxes, so you might say everyone has 10 hit points. Differences in physique, armor, etc. determine how hard it is to mark off these boxes, but just about anyone can be killed by a decent gunshot.
- The condition monitors have stages that degrade the characters performance as they become more injured. So a character that has taken a few boxes of damage and/or fatigue will be significantly impaired and should seriously consider getting away. This is opposed to most games where a character can always fight at full power until he loses his last hit point and suddenly collapses.
- Shadowrun uses lots and lots of d6 to generate those margins of success. Basically, how many of your dice succeed determine your margin of success. Not everyone likes rolling a dozen dice per attack, but anyone who plays 40K should be used to it.
- There is currently a 4th Edition of Shadowrun on the market. It improves a few game mechanics but it has not been universally accepted, mostly because it changes some things about the setting. Still, used 3rd Edition books can probably be had cheap.
- Actually, older editions had more realistic but complicated game mechanics. So, if you are in the minority of gamers who don't mind pausing in combat to do math, you might even look for a very old copy of 1st edition which features a now-missing game mechanic called "staging". (Staging existed until 3rd edition but all staging numbers were treated as 2, which simplified combat but removed detail.)

Depending on the sort of game you want to run, and what sorts of capabilities you want characters to have, superhero games like Champions and Mutants & Masterminds are very high-powered, open-ended and unfortunately prone to abuse by cheese gamers if the GM doesn't keep a tight lid on them.

Edit: Bad spelling.

Last edited by Venator on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Well I guess i'll provide a little more info on the basic structure. Might help folks out with their suggestions.

Modern Setting.

Player characters will be ordinary human beings. (Circumstances might change depending on story direction but this is doubted at this point in time.)

Aiming for realistic damage effects and hinderances, possibility for psychological trauma depending on what rules are involved in the gameset.

Anything else I might have missed?

Edit: And yes, i'll look into picking up a copy of the Shadowrun rulebook from anywhere I can get my grubby mits on it.