Login |  Register |  FAQ

Gaming: What's in it for YOU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:22 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Bump!

Quote:
SR: How do you see the problem of balancing army lists? Is that some kind of Holy Grail for games developers? What does "balanced army list" mean to you?

Andy: It all depends on what you want out of a game, and as every gamer wants something different you’ll never achieve something everyone considers balanced. For some, the game is a simulation, to others it’s all about gameplay. Some prefer the narrative element and others just like to have fun with crazy army builds. Somewhere amongst all that, we have to find a point we consider balanced. To be honest, the fewer variables, the more balanced the system, but you have to be careful not to strip out all the fun!

That's a quote from Games Workshops' Andy Hoare in this online interview.

It seems to me that Andy Hoare in his answer to that question basically paraphrased the GSN model. Do you think that he and perhaps other members of the GW design team pay attention to things like the GSN model?

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:58 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

What a copout.

Heavy Gear is a far more detailed, far more complicated game than any rubbish Game$ Work$hop has ever produced.
And I've never once heard anyone make any complaints about balance in the Heavy Gear tactical game.

40K's lack of balance is the result of poor planning and incompetence on behalf of the designers.

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:52 am 
Private
Private

I have to say that I wish the entire GNS thing had never been written. I read the article years ago and seen its effects on rec.games.rpg. While the article tries not to judge the different goals, the effect of their creation is to break games down in to three types with one type, Narrativist, as the clearly superior one.

When I was a kid, the mantra was "Make sure all your players are having fun", now the mantra is "Make sure all your players agree with you before you let them play".

It's just sad.

Aaron