Login |  Register |  FAQ

My Game basics

Post subject: My Game basics
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 am 
Gunner
Gunner

i recently started work again on a semi text/model game i started ages ago, i sent a rough draft to Sque and after he initially tore my idea to shreds he gave me some good feedback and i did a redraft of combat, after that it has gone backwards and forwards a fair amount and i now feel that it would be beneficial for other games of like minds to read it through and offer their opinions/problems with it,
as a background it is based on the fantasy novels by R.j. Salvatore and as such is based in the forgotten realms. it is by no means finished but i would appreciate everyone's opinions
btw not sure if this link will work, sorry if it dosnt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:26 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

will has asked if i would post the work done so far:

Strength will indicate both physical attributes and the strength available to
control weapons, the higher the strength the easier it is to weild weapons. A
typical untrained human would have a strength value of 8. And a mighty warrior
king may have a strength level of up to 20.

Therefore, from the stats you can see that human guardsmen are slightly weaker
than dwarf fighters. As such the dwarfs have an easier time of hitting human
guards than the guards have. When stats are equal there is an even chance of
hitting and being hit. If both attackers have a skill level of 10 they will both require
a score of 10 or more on a roll of D20. However for every level an opponent is
higher than you( in the case of the dwarf and human fighters) the difficulty
increases by 2, carrying on the example above the human guard would need a
dice roll of 12 to hit the dwarf. However if an opponent has a lower score than
you it becomes easier to hit the other. Therefore for every two levels higher a
score is it become one roll easier(ie an attack of 12 vs 10 the attacker would
need a score of 9 or more on a D20) however if you are only one rank higher,
there is no effect. Furthermore if you roll a score of more than double the score
required, including modifiers to hit, you will cause a critical hit, so carrying on the
example if the human fighter (needing a score of 12 to hit) managed to hit the
dwarf there would be no chance of causing a critical hit unless he has any other
bonuses to his attack. Critical hits will be explained later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:27 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Dexterity will indicate a characters hand and eye co-ordination, this is the skill
used to calculate a ranged attacks chances of hitting a target. The chance is
calculated by taking their dexterity from 20, this is score needed to beat on a roll
of D20, for example the human hunter would need a score of 6 or more before
and modifiers are added. From this you can see that a base dexterity of 8 (an
average human with no training with the bow) would need a score of 12 or more
to hit. Ranged attacks also have much more negatives and positives to be applied
to the dice score as determined from the table below

Range modifiers:

Long range -4

Short range +0

Target moved last turn -1

Each turn spent aiming +1.5 (each two turns = +3. One turn = +1)

For each 5ft the character has moved in his last turn(rounded down)

You can calculate the long and short ranges of a weapon by taking it's range
increment and halving it, any distance above this is long range and below it is
short range. For example the human hunter is trying to shoot at a dwarf
crossbowman 57ft away using his longbow. Since his longbow has a maximum range of
100ft the dwarf is at long range.The hunter has been aiming at the dwarf for one turn
prior to taking his shot but had moved 6ft prior to aiming, and the dwarf has not
moved from his position as such the hunter will need a score of 11 or more on a roll of D20 to hit the dwarf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:28 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The two weapons above are two completely different weapons however they are both
equally adapt at causing damage, the only difference is the critical multiplier.

After hits have been caused in either ranged or melé combat you must roll to see
how much the equipped weapon does. This is done by rolling the indicated
damage, in the examples above, a roll of one D6. If you score a critical hit you
cause the original roll(ie 1d6) and them times it by the mulitplier.
For example, carrying on from the example above, after hitting the dwarf the fighter
rolls his weapons damage, 1D6 and scores a five, as such his arrow causes five damage
to the dwarf. As he rolled high enough to cause a critical hit the dwarf is hit by 15 points
of damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:30 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The AC is the total protection given to the charicter after calculations have been
made to give them a total, for example. The human guard is wearing chain mail
contributing 6 AC, and a helmet granting him 2AC, Giving him a total of 8 AC.

Following the example above; the dwarf has been
hit by 15 points of damage. His armour can stop 8
points of damage, as such his armour stops 8
points of damage from the 15, the rest of the
damage passes through and caused 7 points of
damage, this takes the dwarfs health down to 5.
Not enough to put him into a critical damage, but
since it caused the dwarf to drop to less than half
health he drops to the floor stunned.

Health is the number of points a character can take till they are, stunned, critical
or dead. Health is calculated by taking the characters constitution. This is the
number of hits they can take. The values for stunning, critical and death are below

When the character reaches stunned when they take a single hit that
causes more than half their total health
Critical is where a character drops to or below one quarter of their health

And the character dies when his health is reduced to 0

When a character is stunned they cannot make any actions for D3 turns

When a character is critical they cannot make any actions until a friendly
helps them, by using a healing spell or healing kit.

When a character is dead, well their dead.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

AC and Damage

What modifiers are added to damage? Is it just weapons value as it appears, or is some strength valuation (or dex) added in?

And ac of 8 would be enormous unless things are being added, or weapons are modified significantly from the dnd values.

Even 8 for chainmail and the helmet would essentially allow a player to be immune to the longswords and longbows you have up.

Some of it can be fixed by adopting a low hp, looking more like wounds than the d20 hp system. Hit points aren't shown, but from squevils example with the dwarf getting hit for 15 it would require the str and enchantment mods from d20.

It's functional as long as armor doesn't outclass weapons, values would probably have to fall, especially if you're looking at 2+ pieces of gear, but players hit far more often (almost 50% of the time) so with some modifications it works. Also healing resources are going to need to be relatively plentiful if you're looking at a campaign setup.

Quote:
(needing a score of 12 to hit) managed to hit the
dwarf there would be no chance of causing a critical hit unless he has any other
bonuses to his attack. Critical hits will be explained later.

This is kind of an issue too. In most games critical hits are what allow a weaker opponent to take on a stronger one and win on occasion by sheer luck. Critical hits are often the main danger element in taking on those groups of underpowered goblins, and are sometimes key in defeating the deadly boss. By altering the system to only offer critical hits to the stronger opponent you're essentially making them stronger rather than evening out the playing field.

This is fine in a game where one player is smashing hordes and hordes of monsters, but in a game where combat is meant to be a challenge this sort of set up results in widening the relatively small gap.

Then couple the critical hit with the +2 difficulty for the weaker player and the power levels between relatively close players tip even further towards the stronger player.

For example the dwarf, who already only needs a 9 vs a 12, also has a 15% chance of scoring a critical hit (18-20), in addition to his substantially higher ability to hit in the first place. If he was 4 Str higher he would have a 8 to hit and a 25% chance to crit (a roll of 16-20), while his opponent would need a roll of 14 just to hit at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Ah thanks, i had looked at the ac vs damagefor literaly hours, and i had thought i had changed it, it appears not,
Buh here is my thoughts

I was going to change it so that AC is similar to (alabative?) in inq, where as the armour takes damage it slowly gets destroyed. So the dwarf hit by the arrow after taking 15 points of damage would have no ac value since his armour had been completly destroyed, i understand this is pretty unrealistic but i thought it would help counter the high ac values,
Also i thought i had explained health sorry i apear to have missed it out completly, for the moment health will be the con score(im using a d&d app to make men quickly so im still using their terms, ill be changing those when i get around to making charicter sheets)
Do you thinj it would be worth stealing the multipul rolls from lotrw, so in the example where the human cannot get a critical because (12x2=24, impossible on a d20, so if he theb rolled a 16+ on a second roll he gained a critical? So he would need to hit, and then roll for critical? Or is that too hard\complecated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:12 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

will444 wrote:
Ah thanks, i had looked at the ac vs damagefor literaly hours, and i had thought i had changed it, it appears not,
Buh here is my thoughts

I was going to change it so that AC is similar to (alabative?) in inq, where as the armour takes damage it slowly gets destroyed. So the dwarf hit by the arrow after taking 15 points of damage would have no ac value since his armour had been completly destroyed, i understand this is pretty unrealistic but i thought it would help counter the high ac values,
Also i thought i had explained health sorry i apear to have missed it out completly, for the moment health will be the con score(im using a d&d app to make men quickly so im still using their terms, ill be changing those when i get around to making charicter sheets)
Do you thinj it would be worth stealing the multipul rolls from lotrw, so in the example where the human cannot get a critical because (12x2=24, impossible on a d20, so if he theb rolled a 16+ on a second roll he gained a critical? So he would need to hit, and then roll for critical? Or is that too hard\complecated?

Armor degradation would work perfectly well. In that case values don't even need to be changed.

As far as the rolls, no, I don't think it's too complicated, but I'm not sure it helps much. If you do that for both characters then a stronger one will almost always get a critical, putting the weaker one at even more of a disadvantage. For instance the dwarf needs a roll of 9 to hit, then a roll of 9 or greater to crit, meaning that every time he hits on a minimum roll he has a 55% chance to make that a critical on a minimum roll. If he rolls a 14 he only needs to roll a 5.

I'd change the -1/+2 difficulty mods to -1/+1 to start, and critical would have to be based on some other factor. Or simply have the roll modified for critical purposes based on weapon type. If you were using the d&d values for instance, the scimitar which crits on a 18-20 would simply be altered to a +3 to the roll for purpose of critical hits. So if your human needs an 11x2 with the modifier change, and rolls a 19 he hits, and makes a critical with the weapon modifier, if he rolls a 10 he still doesn't hit, the +3 is only for defining criticals (players will be able to remember what the crit mod for the weapon is).

The only issue is that the higher level will still crit more often, or as often with a less crit designed weapon.

Also how are stat increases acquired? A lot of it depends on that. The +1/-1 model will work only if stats are pretty much set, or capped so that no one gets more than a +5 to the opponents -5, because at that point the fight is over.

Not only does the opponent have to roll a minimum of 15, the other only has to roll a 5, and gets a crit on 10 or greater, with a weapon designed to take advantage of that you can pretty much call that fight, especially with an armor mod taking away the majority of the first hit for the weaker player, meaning he has a 1/16 chance of causing damage by his second roll, where the stronger player has a 50% chance of having a crit on the first roll and even failing that has better than 50% chances of hitting twice in 2 rolls (9/16).

If you keep the current model the person with 5 less only has a 1/400 chance of doing significant damage within the first 2 turns. Odds only go down from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:27 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Just gettng ready for shift, in combat no mattrr how much u increase stats you will never need less than a set amount to hit, like in whf, ill do some more notes ect later after shift n post them on here

Thanks for the feedback

Post subject: Re: My Game basics
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:53 am 
Recruit
Recruit

mattrr how much u increase stats you will never need less than a set amount to hit, like in whf, ill do some more notes ect later after shift n post them on here