Login |  Register |  FAQ

Index Xenos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:07 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Codex wrote:
Secondly, did they erase Ratlings from the game?
Ratlings are abhumans. Like Ogryn, they are descended from humans that have been changed due to extreme planetary conditions, eugenics, etc. but they breed true and are not classified as mutants or aliens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:01 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

- Updated list to include races from the 4th Edition rulebook.
- Removed Ambull and Clawed Fiend since the 4E book does seem to place them in a different class than true sentients.
- After some internal debate, I added Slann because they do still seem to exist and presumably could have a big effect on the galaxy if they wanted to... though it doesn't seem like they have actually done anything of note in the last 59 million years.

the widowmaker wrote:
The Blood Angels launched a mission to exterminate the Stryites infesting the jungles of Stryia V...
Did they succeed or fail? And did the xenos seem to have any ability to get off their homeworld to affect the galaxy at large?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:04 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Venator wrote:
the widowmaker wrote:
The Blood Angels launched a mission to exterminate the Stryites infesting the jungles of Stryia V...
Did they succeed or fail? And did the xenos seem to have any ability to get off their homeworld to affect the galaxy at large?

I have no idea... the story is just a snapshot of that battle, and concentrates mainly on a Veteran Assault squad sergeant and his near slip into the Black Rage. The Stryites must have been some sort of threat or persistent annoyance for the Adeptus Astartes to have been used, and the fact that they could build War Engines suggests a distinct level of sophistication above that of mindless xeno-beast. But really there isn't a huge deal of information on them and whether they have space faring abilities or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:01 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Venator wrote:
Ratlings are abhumans

"Abhuman" just means "stable mutant" in this sense. Psykers are abhumans. Is this from the fluff, or are you actually covering for GW here?

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:54 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Codex wrote:
Psykers are abhumans.

Wrong.

Psykers are not a routine and predictable mutant strain of humans. They are a super rare mutation that occurs completely randomly. If a psyker has children they aren't automatically psychic. Even if two psykers reproduce their is no guarantee that their offspring will be psychic.

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:48 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Almost, Truckler. You're forgetting the specific mutation for Navigators. Their special psychic ability is genetically hereditary - recessive, though, which is why Navigators only marry Navigators (there are also political reasons).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:28 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Truckler wrote:
They are a super rare mutation that occurs completely randomly.

You're a plant. 10% of normal humans are psychic. The sudden appearance of psykers triggered the Age of Strife. I honestly don't believe you ever played Rogue Trader, or indeed any GW game prior to 1998.

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:00 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Codex wrote:
Truckler wrote:
They are a super rare mutation that occurs completely randomly.

You're a plant. 10% of normal humans are psychic. The sudden appearance of psykers triggered the Age of Strife. I honestly don't believe you ever played Rogue Trader, or indeed any GW game prior to 1998.

- Chris

Where does it say that it is hereditary?

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:04 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Here are 2 links you might find of value Venator:

http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/speciesmap/map.html
http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/animalmap/map.html

“Take a squiz at dis beauti! is got both front an bak weehilz, handle barz with both your left and rite turnin funksion, all da rage dezz dayz! and ta kap it all off a bran noo red paint job, kurtacy of da stoopid beeky who gotz himself caught in da front wheel dat last battil!…so let me fix ya up with da dok so ya can take a squiz at our payment planz”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:23 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

The Navigator mutation is described as hereditary in the navigator =][= fluff. And if I recall the necromunda wyrd fluff, it says that while 10% of humans are psykers, most only have a very minor form of psychic power, like being "lucky" at cards- so i think its safe to say the pschic mutant gene is neither safe nor stable. :atten But I do think we're all going to have to resign ourselves to the fact that some of the 40K fluff is going to contradict itself. Which is a good thing: 40K thrives on ambiguity.

Oh, and just so's you know: never played RT, or any game before 98. Cuz I was only 12 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:35 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

firstly, i'm all for the minor races. all the better to get rid of all those damned space marine players!

secondly, Tarellian (Dog Soldier) Imperial Guard proxies anyone? sounds cool to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:03 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Perhaps they could bring out a series of DIY races, similar to the tyranid biomorph thingies, you say have a base stat line like that of a human which costs 5pts and then add upgrades making it more powerful or weaker and adding new types of rules to it. I'd not say go as far as making an army but going as far to make a skirmish force maybe 500pts or 750pts, or maybe makes an army who knows, its still early and i;m tired, meh.