Login |  Register |  FAQ

Combat Squads - 40k Skirmish Mod

Post subject: Combat Squads - 40k Skirmish Mod
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:29 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

Greetings all, long time no post!

Real life has had a habit of getting in the way of things, but that doesn't keep me from tinkering!

I've been busy hammering away at a set of house rules for turning Warhammer 40.000 into more of a small unit skirmish game, inspired by a similar project called Killzone, but aimed at making it moreā€¦ dare I say it, balanced.

It's currently in a beta version right now, but some feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Interested? Download it right here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:48 am 
Private
Private

Ok, I'll bite. What about Killzone isn't balanced?

Actually, after reading over your rules, I'm not exactly sure where it differs from KillZone.

One thing I do for small battles is limit a single individual model to 20% of the total cost of the army. This automatically eliminates the higher armor vehicles without having to do things like adding up AV. It also limits special characters, again without having to ban them outright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:51 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Bite away, good sir! :D

I'll admit that my post, now that I'm looking at it, came of a bit 'flaming' in regards to Killzone. There's nothing wrong, as such, with Killzone - except for the small things that I changed for Combat Squad.

One of the things that has changed was how you purchase your Combat Squad really; balancing out how many heavy weapons that you could bring to bear in your army. And some of the calculations in Killzone didn't really work out just right - for instance, a Justicar for the Grey Knights would end up costing the same as a Grey Knight. In other words, there was an editor (me) 'fixing' some of the point costs a bit.

Apart from that, then I wanted something that was almost exactly like normal 40k - meaning that there should be as little change to the rules as possible. So there were no changes to how a unit moves, shoots or anything like that. Small difference, but to me it made a big impact on how the rules work.

I kinda like your idea about 20% for single models, but - and this is just me - I find it a lot easier to add up the total armor rating instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:12 am 
Private
Private

Phoenikuz wrote:
And some of the calculations in Killzone didn't really work out just right - for instance, a Justicar for the Grey Knights would end up costing the same as a Grey Knight. In other words, there was an editor (me) 'fixing' some of the point costs a bit.

I'll have to check that out. Have you thought about a dedicated Codex? Where you can choose which armies have access to which special wargear or rules? I've been working on a similar project but instead of a Kill Team level game, a collection of rules and codex additions for games from 250 to 1000 points (or so). I've tried to add low cost HQ choices (SM Lieutenants and the like) as well as cheap vehicles for armies that don't have them.

Quote:
Apart from that, then I wanted something that was almost exactly like normal 40k - meaning that there should be as little change to the rules as possible.

I agree with this 100%

Quote:
I kinda like your idea about 20% for single models, but - and this is just me - I find it a lot easier to add up the total armor rating instead.

I don't like it because, at this scale, a vehicle with 12 all around will be much less vunerable than one with 14/12/10.