Login |  Register |  FAQ

THE LOST GOD

Post subject: THE LOST GOD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:46 am 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

Does anyone have any good solid info on the "Lost God" of Chaos, Malal ?
:chaos

http://www.krug666.blogspot.com

Buy my junk

http://www.ebay.com/sch/krug_tr6_138/m. ... pg=&_from=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:23 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

This is the bulk of what I've run across, all from Lexicanum.

"Malal was exiled from the rest of the Chaos Gods, but whether this was a self-imposed exile is not clear. Regardless of the reason, Malal lives only to destroy the other Gods and their followers in the name of revenge. Also known as "The Outcast God", "The Lost God" and "The Renegade God", Malal represents Chaos' indiscriminate tendency toward destruction, even of itself. The nature of Malal's powers are parasitic, as the Renegade God grows in power when the others do. The God's sacred number is 11 (internet rumour, no official fluff supports this), while his symbol is a skull bisected down the middle, one half white, one half black. Malal is the god that the lower classes turn to avenge themselves on the higher classes who attempt to strangle and stop them from their true glory. He is also the god of those who have been wronged, but lack the power to correct this. His followers come from people whose hatred of Chaos becomes so strong, that they willingly bond with Chaos to fight it at its own level.

Malal is described as being both wolf-like and crocodilian in appearance, yet still holding a humanoid form. Said to have 6 fingers on each hand, and 3 eyes on his head, Malal is also said to have sets of teeth that resemble Lions, Sharks, Cows, and Rats.

The concept of the 5th Chaos God "Malal" was created by comic artists Wagner and Grant along with the creation of Malal's champion for the Warhammer Fantasy world, Kaleb Daark, in the Citadel Miniatures Journals for Spring 1986 and 1987. In the comics, Kaleb Daark would destroy the followers of the other 4 Chaos Gods (Nurgle, Tzeentch, Khorne, and Slaanesh) with his daemon axe, Dreadaxe, the head of which resembled a shark, and which had a handle of bone. The animate axe, a gift from Malal, experienced hunger and would feed on the souls of the victims of its edge. The Battle cry of Kaleb Daark was "Dreadaxe thirsts for you!".

Use of Malal in further Games Workshop productions was halted, as Games Workshop did not own the intellectual property to the concept of Malal, the comic's authors did.

The memory of Malal did not die with the ability for Games Workshop to use it. The idea of Malal is championed by veterans of the Warhammer scene primarily through the internet via BBS (bulletin Board Systems) and stories (such as "Divine Judgment"). Malal continues to survive, occasionally becoming the choice deity of veteran players playing Chaos. Because of Games Workshops inability to legally use the God in their Games' storyline, Malal is surrounded by a cloud of unanswerable questions that may very well be the cause of his continued existence.

The term "Doomed Ones" also go along with Malal, in the comics they were the chosen human champions of Malal. They would eventually become undead apparitions serving Malal when all their physical energy was spent.

There has been some unofficial/internet reference that describes them as; "the daemonic entities of Malal and are described as bipedal lizarddaemons that stand almost a head taller than a human and had soulblades which were forged from the soul of burning hatred taken from a Witchhunter that died fighting a Daemon."

In Games Workshop's Chaos Space Marine Codex, a number of reference were made that many feel to be an attempt by Games Workshop to legally bring back the idea of Malal, or to remind players that perhaps the company has not forgotten about the Outcast God. The two widely recognized references were the appearance of a daemon weapon you could give to your leaders called a "Dreadaxe", explained further in the caption that it was used to kill other daemonic entities.

The other reference was to a picture towards the back of the codex, showing other possible painting schemes for the models. One of the examples was a group entitled the "Sons of Malice". what caught many people's attention was that the colors used were the bisecting black/white design of Malal's symbol, and how Malice was just a short jump to Malal. More on the Sons of Malice was in Games Workshop monthly publication White Dwarf, specifically White Dwarf 302. In it the Sons of Malice were supposedly prone to fighting in complete silence, and were excommunicated for a set of disgusting rituals that were reported close to cannibalism. This article did nothing to stem the questions about the connection between Malal and the Sons of Malice. At the very end of a passage, it was mentioned that the Sons of Malice also fight against other followers of Chaos frequently; also whoever the ritual was done in the name of in the story was never revealed.

In Warhammer Fantasy some speculate that Be'Lakor, the Dark Master, the first Daemon Prince of Chaos, who was introduced in the Storm of Chaos campaign is Games Workshop's attempt to bring back the idea of Malal to the Fantasy game.

Malal is not the only version of an additional Chaos God, at least in the fantasy world of Warhammer. In The Enemy Within campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Something Rotten in Kislev, Zuvassin the Great Undoer and Necoho the Doubter were introduced as two renegade Chaos deities - but not specifically as number five and six. Games Workshop wrote more than once that there are more than four Chaos Gods and that a continuity of power existed from mundane daemons to greater ones up to the God status. Numbering of Chaos Gods has yet to be agreed upon by scholars. "

"Malal is described as being both wolf-like and crocodilian in appearance" apparently, he's a were-odile :lol:

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:08 am 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

Thanks Consectari. :D

Buy my junk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

consectari wrote:
his symbol is a skull bisected down the middle, one half white, one half black.

Isn't that the same or similar symbol that appears on techmarines?

consectari wrote:
His followers come from people whose hatred of Chaos becomes so strong, that they willingly bond with Chaos to fight it at its own level.

This sounds a bit like Deamon hunters/the inquisition. Some are known for bonding with deamons I beleive

consectari wrote:
Malal is described as being both wolf-like and crocodilian in appearance, yet still holding a humanoid form. Said to have 6 fingers on each hand, and 3 eyes on his head, Malal is also said to have sets of teeth that resemble Lions, Sharks, Cows, and Rats.

That's one ugly mofo. Imagine what hi dentist would say!

Btw, if you like the idea of Malal you'll like this; http://www.flippeh.de/funPics/toLazyToR ... obster.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:52 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

The only other thing not mentioned above is the relationship between Malal and Arianka, one of the God's of Law (now also in copyright limbo). Malal imprisoned Arianka in a crystal coffin deep under the World's Edge Mountains: there are eleven keys which open Arianka's coffin which Malal has scattered about the Old World. No-one knows what form these take, however, or where they may be.

Mrs. Dr_Rem, folk hero of the EFF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:29 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

ThousandPlateaus wrote:
The only other thing not mentioned above is the relationship between Malal and Arianka, one of the God's of Law (now also in copyright limbo). Malal imprisoned Arianka in a crystal coffin deep under the World's Edge Mountains: there are eleven keys which open Arianka's coffin which Malal has scattered about the Old World. No-one knows what form these take, however, or where they may be.

I like tht story line. WOuld make a good campaign for a game. Is Arianka a chaos god of law or soething else?I wonder if there's a god of Order, for law and order r the opposite of chaos (unless ur an anarchist)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:26 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

this malal sounds awesome as does his story with arianka who i believe would also be a chaos god as there is one for every emotion/feeling be it good or bad.
for example there will be a chaos god of righteousness(spelling :roll: ) knocking about somewhere in one form or another, there will even be chaos gods of things like loyalty and friendship etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 pm 
Private
Private

Thanks for putting all that in the one place. Although I knew of the god there were alot of facts there that I didn't know.

I especially like the idea that theres not alot of info on the god becaue GW don't own the rights which in turn feeds the whole idea that he is an outcast and mysterious... Kinda a self fulfilling mystery.

A god of vengance really does have a good place in the IP though its such a shame the idea cannot be used. A god that empowers people to get revenge at a cost... Of course they don't relise the price until after their revenge and then its too late. Love it.

:chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:46 pm 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

Im contemplating doing a WFB Chaos army under Malal, if I can get my hands on the Kaleb Daark figure. Thanks for more info guys :chaos

Buy my junk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:03 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

and for those who want a look see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:14 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

No, no, Arianka is nota Chaos God, but one of the three Gods of Law in the WH World (along with her 'siblings' Solkan and Alluminas).

I hav my own theories about whether the Gods of Law are a facet of the Gods of Chaos due to the nature of the Warp and how Gods come to be constituted, but traditionally, they're seen as the diametric opposite of the Chaos Gods, with the other/minor/lesser Gods of the Warhammer World inbetween.

The most recent allusion to the captivity of Arianka given (to the best of my knowledge) appears in the Codex: Daemons book, whereby Nurg'l has fallen in love with one of the Eldar Goddesses (Isha), and has taken her prisoner (after freeing her from Sla'anesh) - she tends to get captured a lot! There's a certain similarity in the two tales, from what I remember (although it could simply have just been the trope of captured princesses which often appears in High Fantasy).

Mrs. Dr_Rem, folk hero of the EFF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:54 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

kk.
There's also this model of Kaleb. He might be a conversion though
http://www4.osk.3web.ne.jp/~hasinaka/kaleb.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:15 am 
DOWN HIVE MISFIT

Damn, thats a great model.
Very Chaos-ee 8-)

Buy my junk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 am 
Cadet
Cadet

The link bignastyguy posted is a conversion based off of the 2002 Games Day limited chaos champion.

That model is shown here: http://www.bastaic.com/wfb/fey/pics/chaos6.jpg

Which is not to say, of course, that the "chaos champion" in question isn't based on Mr. Daark.

Post subject: Re: THE LOST GOD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:36 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

KRUG_666 wrote:
Does anyone have any good solid info on the "Lost God" of Chaos, Malal ?

I see him down the pub or in the shops every now and again. We used to say hello, but we don't hang out so much anymore, so it feels kind of awkward. One of the boys told me he goes out on the lash and acts like a cokc on the weekend, though, so I'm pretty glad I don't see much of him any more.

Also, there were some Kaleb Daark comics. (About half way down the page)[/url]