Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

WarpStrike 40k Skirmish Campaign rules! Updated 2016-06-21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Adoni,

I just wanted to thank you for all the hard work you've put into Warpstrike!

When it comes to my background with gaming in the 40k universe, I started playing back in the 1st edition days, left the hobby for a while (I completely missed the 4th edition era) and now I'm back pushing models around the tabletop.

Anyway, I'm preparing a 40k skirmish campaign and after spending a good deal of time looking over the various rules out there (as well as contemplating simply using the 1st or 2nd edition rules, or Necromunda) I've come to the conclusion that Warpstrike is the best of the lot!

I really appreciate the way that you have managed to create a setting in which all the various factions in the 40k universe can interact with one another, and a way to include warpstone shards in the game.

I also like that you credit both Necromunda and Mordheim as inspiration for Warpstrike. Although I dislike the limited scope of Necromunda, I still feel that it is a good game.

When it comes to the WH40k game itself, it is of course clear that GW was approaching the game from a skirmish perspective in the 1st/2nd edition days. As Rick Priestly stated in the introduction to the 1st edition Battle Bible (1992):

"When the original rules for Warhammer 40,000 were published, the rules for combat drew heavily on Warhammer Fantasy Battle. While these rules worked well enough for large forces slugging it out with fists and teeth, we soon realised that combats of this scale were the exception on the battlefields of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. What we needed was a new combat system, that while remaining compatible with the older rules allowed for a greater level of detail needed for smaller scale combat."

So I am glad that you've chosen to work from the 2nd edition rules rather than later editons. Don't get me wrong - 3rd+ edition WH40k is an enjoyable battle game (I've had a lot of fun playing 5th edition games in a local league recently), but it's quite different from the colorful skirmish rules we started off with.

For now, my only suggestion would be that you consider distributing Warpstrike in .pdf format as well as MS Word. One of the first things I did after I found Warpstrike was to use Cute pdf writer to make a .pdf copy of the rules as I prefer viewing them that way. (I don't have a copy of Word on any of my computers at home or at work and the free Word viewer available from MS isn't as handy as Adobe Acrobat.)

Once our campaign is up and running, I hope to have more specific feedback for you after playing some games.

Finally, I just wanted to say that you can be sure that for every person who locates this forum and lets you know that we appreciate your game, there are many more out there who are playing and enjoying Warpstrike. So hang in there and remember that your work is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:55 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

rpgamer-

Thanks for the feedback! It's always nice to know my work is appreciated!

Thanks a good idea about uploading a pdf version as well. I should be able to upload the July 2011 version in PDF format to the 40k2nd site tomorrow. too bad I don't know how to make the hyperlinks work when I print to pdf. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:39 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Okay, I now have a .pdf version of the rules available here:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/40k ... arpstrike/

I've also changed the roster slightly so the characteristics are formatted as Text. That way you can put your movement as 4-1 to show you have a leg wound, and not have it try to change to April 1, 2011. Same goes for the ranges on the Supplement page. You can now have the range be 1-12 and 12-24 without needing an apostrophe in front to keep it from being Jan-12 or Dec-24.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:17 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Hi Adoni,

Oops - I didn't think of the hyperlinks. I guess it shows my age that I tend to use online rulebooks in the same manner as their printed versions, and simply page through them. So the Word version will be more useful in that respect but I'm still glad you decided to add a .pdf version too.

Also, I have a question - in the intro to Warpstrike, you mention using Necrons instead of Tyranids as an option for random "blip" encounters. Since I currently have a lot of Necron models and no Tyranid minis, that sounds good to me.

My first thought was to base the Necron unit stats on the 2nd edition Necron Raiders army list (from White Dwarf 217 and 218) but now that I've taken a closer look at the list, that version of the Necrons seems a little overpowered.

I'm thinking maybe it would be better to go with a translation of the 3rd edition stats in this case. Do you have any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:34 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Being a 2nd Edition fan, I've made a 2nd edition version of most of the 3rd (and later) edition units. They are still quite tough, as I've kept the original stats for the regular necrons, immortals, scarabs and lords.

Drop me a line and I'll email you a copy.

As far as using them in WarpStrike, I confess I haven't put a whole lot of effort into it. You are right, they are quite nasty.

I'd certainly limit them to one per blip. Termagants are so wimpy you need several of them to be a credible threat, but Necrons are plenty nasty one at a time. And that's just the basic trooper.

You might increase the number of sixes required for each blip from 12 to twenty. That would lower the frequency (but you'd still start with 1d2 blips on the board), without completely eliminating them.

Also having lots of terrain should make them easier to take out. Where tyranids excel at close combat, I seem to recall that that's the best way to take necrons down.

You could also get rid of the "immune to leadership tests" bit. Let them get pinned, broken, etc. And have them subject to the normal rules for going down in close combat. (ie, if they are down, and you are next to them and have no non-down enemies on base contact, you take them out automatically).

You could probably simulate their regeneration by giving them recover from going down on a 1-3. Make certain to apply flesh wounds, as this simulates damage to their structure.

I'm afraid I really can't give you much more guidance than that. I've never played it with the Necrons.

I'd say give something a try, and see how it goes. If the necrons prove too deadly make some changes.

And let me know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Okay, time for another update. This one mostly adds a bit more versatility to the Kroot. They can now take a variety of pistols in addition to the ubiquitous Kroot Rifle.

You know where to get it: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/40k2nd/files/Warpstrike/

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:26 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Okay, time for a new update.

Stunty fans will be pleased, as I've now added Squats to the mix. :eek:

There's also a few rules updates, mostly things I've overlooked.

As always, the latest version (in MS Word or .pdf format) is available here:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/40k2nd/files/Warpstrike/

Or you can pm me with your email address, and I'll zip you out a copy that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:48 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

You could try putting the files up on Box.com, like Anthony Case has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:27 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Thanks for the squat edition, I will pass it on to my local stunty lover! We are still not sure what rules we will use for out fall 2012 gaming, but warpstrike is high on the list!

Post subject: Re: WarpStrike 40k Skirmish Campaign rules! Updated 12Dec11
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:40 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Latest version is out. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/40k2nd/files/Warpstrike/

Only major change is removing the Martyr rule from the Sisters of Battle.

Other than that, just a few corrections.

Post subject: Re: WarpStrike 40k Skirmish Campaign rules! Updated 22Mar12
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:29 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Greetings!
Is there any possibility to uploade the rules somewhere elese? The site you have them on won't work for me... (somehow Yahoo does not want to work for me)

And I guess because this is my first post I am not allowed to PM you or something.
Would really love to have a look at your skirmish rules. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Luckily I've been around long enough to be able to Private Message you! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:44 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Call me a 'n00b' but I can't seem to find the "Reply" button on the PMs...

The reason for staring at your skirmish rules is that I've grown tired of HOARDING miniatures to play a game of 40k, and trying to find a good set of skirmish rules that would fit for Space Marines, Chaos Marines and Orks...
I studied the 2nd edition rules and my Necromunda booklet to see if I myself could manage to make some for of "Pick up and Play" games... Without the expirience and stuff... :O
Oh yeah, don't worry. I FINALLY managed to bend yahoo to my ways, and get a hold of a copy of your Skirmish rules...
They look pretty solid. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:44 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Adoni,

I have been reading Warpstrike for a year.

I played 40k back during second edition. My local store went out of bussiness right after 3rd edition came out and I was forced to give up gaming. With two children starting up 40k again was financially out of my reach with armies being bigger and far more expensive than I remember them being.

Over the summer I was able to get my hands on a 5th edition starter set. My Fiance fell in love with the space marines. We decided to play your game. Last night I set up my board and played a 1000 rp game with myself to make sure I had the rules down before I tried to teach another person.

It was fun, fun, fun. I just want to thank you, for all the work you have put into making this game.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:12 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Just a line to inform you that on Saturday night I will probably be (at last!!!) testing a game of Warpstrike! :)

Truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination
---Elim Garak

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next