Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

WarpStrike 40k Skirmish Campaign rules! Updated 2016-06-21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:33 am 
Mature, well groomed miniature enthusiast

"Rare for other marine chapters' PSYKERS" I presume.

You're gonna have to make a choice. Grey Knight Terminators, originally got the Nemesis Force Weapons ONLY. Because they were two-handed, GW realized they ought to have a bolter, too, so they put it in the NFW. Then in 2nd, it became a Storm Bolter attached to the NFW.

Now the models have a Force Weapon and a storm bolter glove!?! :eek: This is part of why I'm of the opinion that Grey Knights should be a PART of an Inquisition Warband -- dudes are over powered! :)

EDIT: Actually, the glove-mount is only on Terminators; regular GK's have a handheld storm bolter. Not much of a difference, but it's there.

I guess my next question would be (don't have the documents in front of me), isn't the "Nemesis" part of the NFW just the bolter in the hilt? If so, then those new model GK's don't actually have NFW, they just have FW and a storm bolter.

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:
It is not no wonder that USA children are so, forgive me here, fcuked up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:45 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

mujadaddy wrote:
Naturally. Non-psykers would find them no more useful than a massive sword.

mujadaddy wrote:
You're gonna have to make a choice.
Ah, man! Don't make me do that! I hate making choices! :( :P

Even without the bolter/stormbolter, Nemesis force weapons are different from standard ones. Besides being two-handed, they could store two force cards. Expending one in close combat made the weapon inflict d3 wounds per hit. Using both raised it up to d6 wounds. With a standard force sword, it could only store one card, which increased your strength by 2 when expended in close combat (this is true for 2nd Ed, anyway, not certain about Rogue Trader).

And if you look closely, you'll note that their left fists are rotated, so they are not actually holding the stormbolters in their hands; the storm bolters are mounted on the arms of their power armor, just like with the terminators. There may be a grip that extends on both sides of their fists, it's hard to tell (Okay, you can tell in this shot. There's definitely a grip in his fist).

So, I could say that the left had is occupied in holding the storm bolter, and thus their force weapons must not be two-handed, which allows me to claim that, as you suggest, the power-armored grey knights just get regular force swords (or other force weapons), which then allows me to relegate the Nemesis Force Weapons back to Terminator Only weapons. (yay!)

mujadaddy wrote:
Of course, now that they are back to Terminator Only, they don't need to be rare, as terminator armor is quite rare enough, thank-you. So I guess I need to go change the description of the Nemesis Force Weapon, and take the Stormbolter away from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am 

re: Nemesis properties -- ya, that's right. Forgot :)

It seems that one might consider the Power Armor+Storm Bolter to have the attribute FIXED, as they can't really let go of it. The GK Termies, by virtue of the immense strength of the Terminator armor, do not have this problem and can use the bolter-hand as the 2nd hand for the Nemesis Weapon. Just a thought.

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:08 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I'll add "Exclusive" to the stormbolters for the power-armor Grey Knights. That way they can't use the hand for anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:03 pm 

Adoni-Zedek wrote:
"Exclusive"
That's the one!

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:56 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Adoni-Zedek wrote:
How much do you think we should increase the cost of each weapon (if at all)?

Currently:
Bolt Pistol: 20 rp
Bolt Gun: 35 rp
Storm Bolter: 55rp
Any thoughts on adjusting the cost of the weapons to reflect a better ammo roll? (3+ instead of 5+). Note that weapons that fail an ammo roll are not useless for the rest of the battle, but the warrior must spend one shooting phase reloading his weapon before he can fire it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:41 pm 

I don't think the weapon cost should be adjusted at all. If anything the cost of being a Marine/Sister should be increased.

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:54 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Current costs for the basic troopers:
Space Marines 60 rp
M4-WS4-BS4-S4-T4-W1-I4-A1-Ld8
Skills: Nerves of Steel, Rapid Fire, True Grit, Shaken

Battle Sister 40 rp
M4-WS3-BS4-S3-T4-W1-I4-A1-Ld8
Gain Acts of Faith at 50xp

Chaos Marines 50 rp
M4-WS4-BS4-S4-T4-W1-I4-A1-Ld8
Skills: Rapid Fire, True Grit, Nerves of Steel

I’m thinking maybe +10 points for the marines, and maybe +7-8 points for the sisters to account for their better ammo rolls with bolter weapons. This would apply to all their other warband members as well. Okay not to the daemons. They are already very pricey, and they don't use bolter weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am 

+10 sounds like a lot. That's +20% to the cost of a Chaos Marine, slightly less (%) for a Loyalist, and +25% for Sisters. Maybe a flat +5 for all 3 of those races? It *is* only for one kind of weapon, and only for doubling the chance of avoiding an ammo roll...

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:38 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Well, I didn't want anyone accusing me of over-favoring marines. Better to overcharge than undercharege. But +5 sounds about right. I think I'll add a "Rituals of War" rule to Chaos, Sisters, and Marines (and Grey Knights-still in progress) for this. Thanks, Mujadaddy!

Edit: I think I will have it give you a +1 bonus to special ammo types for bolters, which you check after each shot. +2 seems a bit too powerful for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:31 am 

Hm, for special ammo, I wouldn't be upset with NO bonus for only +5 points... That gives you a 3+ ammo roll for standard bolter ammo, and a 5+ roll for exotic ammo. Easier to write up the rule, too :D

Mrs. Dr. Remulack wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:35 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

mujadaddy wrote:
That gives you a 3+ ammo roll for standard bolter ammo, and a 5+ roll for exotic ammo.
Actually, each special ammo type has its own ammo roll value, and you take an ammo test each time you shoot. If you fail, you are out of that special ammo type for the rest of the battle, but you don't miss a turn reloading.

Bolter special ammo types are 3+ or 4+, so you can expect a shot or two from them before you run out. A +1 bonus to the roll will probably give you and extra shot or so per battle with each special ammo type you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:24 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Adoni-Zedek wrote:
McCragge was going to post them here, but he's never quite gotten around to it. If you pm me with your email address, I can send you a copy that way. Otherwise you need some kind of Yahoo/Flickr! account to log in and get the files. It's a free account, so you can set it up and ignore it if you want to. (Or PM McCragge, and bug him about posting my rules here. Maybe if enough of you do it, he'll finally get them posted)

Ugh...I am really sorry about that. I dropped the ball on this one. I have been totally wrapped up working on the Underhive game.

In any case, the rules are now posted here on the Eastern Fringe in the Downloads section.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:04 am 
Recruit
Recruit

in general rules there is typo with guardsman with 3 moment :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:31 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks, McCragge! I appreciate your help! (you can remove the Mord-40k-heim stuff; Warpstrike replaces it. There's also a Warpstrike roster in your inbox)
Devastator wrote:
in general rules there is typo with guardsman with 3 moment :lol:
Umm....he has a leg injury? (by the way, there's a typo in your post ;)) I'll get that fixed. Thanks!

It’s been pointed out to me that flying models are too powerful in close combat, and, as you can charge anyone in your range, it is very difficult to protect your weaker models from them. The main culprit here is the Swooping Hawk exarch. He can take nearly any close combat weapons desired, and so can become quite frightening with their uninterceptable 24” flying diving charge. Other fliers include regular swooping hawks, vespid, and dark eldar scourges (gargoyles also fly, but they are tyranids, and their behavior prohibits entering close combat). Regular swooping hawks are not really equipped for close combat, though they can become so at higher XP levels, and Tau vespid are not terribly equipped for close combat. Dark eldar scourges could theoretically be equipped to be close combat monsters, but they’re the only heavy-weapon troops available to Dark Eldar, so I don’t see them being a problem. Jumppackers have the inherent inaccuracy of their jumps to prevent them from being too powerful (2/3 change of scattering d3 inches on landing).

So I’m looking for a rule that will tone down the power of close-combat fliers, without being too arbitrary or illogical. Perhaps something along the lines of they can only charge models that they can see? But I don’t want to limit jumppackers, as they already have the inaccuracy of their jumppacks (and if you don’t think that’s a big problem, think about how many walkways, balconies, and landings are less than 3” wide. You don’t need to scatter far to completely miss your target, even with a 4” charge move after landing). Hawk (and Scourge) wings do have the restriction that you can’t land within 1” of anything other than the target of your charge, but I don't think that will be enough to limit them.

Any suggestions? And I know more of you than just Mujadaddy are following this. So pipe up! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next