Login |  Register |  FAQ

AwesomeX's Space Wolf Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:28 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Well, I did pretty good in that tourney, managing to snag 2nd place and getting a Canis Wolfborn model for my efforts. With the exception of the first game, I believe that part of my success was luck of the draw in opponents. More on that later.

My list changed a bit from the above, as I decided that I wanted to get an extra speeder into the list. It reduced my CC power some, but gave me a great deal of extra mobility. I was pretty happy with it. My main concerns were that I only had 3 claiming squads, and that I could give up as many as 14 kill points. Here's what I took with me to the tourney:

135 Rune Priest with bike, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

150 Iron Priest with Wolf Tooth Necklace, 3x servitors, 4x cyberwolves

233 Grey Hunters x10 with 2x plasmaguns, Wolf Guard w/terminator armor & power fist & cyclone missile launcher

208 Grey Hunters x8 with flamer, power weapon, Wolf Guard with power fist, rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5 with meltagun, Wolf Guard with combi-melta & power fist, razorback with heavy bolters

208 Bikers x3 with melta, power weapon, attack bike with heavy bolter, Wolf Guard with bike & power fist & combi-melta

70 Landspeeder with multi-melta and heavy flamer

70 Landspeeder with multi-melta and heavy flamer

203 Long Fangs x5 with 2x missile launchers and 2x lascannons, Wolf Guard, razorback with heavy bolters

60 Predator with autocannons

250 Landraider Redeemer with multi-melta

Total points: 1750
Kill points: 14
Claiming squads: 3

So my first game was a guy named George, playing an Imperial Guard army. He was an excellent opponent: personable, well prepared, knowledgeable, competitive but a good sport, and very patiently pulling out the IG book and showing me the actual rule whenever I was uncertain about something (as opposed to simply telling me). Plus, it was nice to play someone a little closer to my age than your typical GW store teenager. After trouncing me, he went on to win the tourney.

One nice thing about George was that he brought nicely printed up sheets of his army list to hand out, that showed every unit with every weapon and piece of wargear, and handed them out to each opponent (he even brought extras to hand out to the curious). I've added up the squad totals, to condense it some, but I'm reposting it here so you know what I faced. Some of it was abbreviated, so I'm posting the abbreviations I'm not sure of rather than write something that might be a bad guess.

165 CCS (company command squad?) with 4 plasmaguns, chimera with multi-laser and heavy flamer

65 Guardsman Marbo

105 PCS (platoon command squad?) with 4 flamers, chimera with multi-laser and heavy flamer
70 IS (infantry squad?) with lascannon
70 IS with lascannon
70 IS with lascannon
70 IS with lascannon
75 HWS with 3 autocannons
65 SWS with 2 flamers and a demo (demolition charge, I think it's short for)
65 SWS with 2 flamers and a demolition charge

100 Vets (veteran squad) with 3 meltaguns

130 Valk (nasty skimmer thing) with missile pods

130 Valk with missile pods

130 Ven (same thing except with 3 twin-linked lascannons!)

150 two Hydras in a squadron

150 Leman Russ

140 Colossus

This is the first time I've played against Guard since their new codex came out, and I have to say I'm blown away by how good they are now! Imperial Guard have skimmers? An artillery with AP3, S6, AND it ignores cover saves? Another tank that fires autocannons and ignores saves from skimmers moving fast? A character that deepstrikes without deviation, throws a demolition charge the moment he appears, then has a boatload of poisoned attacks at I5, and is an elites choice rather than an HQ? Plus all those commands their command squads can give, even the platoon leaders! They're plain ugly, I can see I'm going to need to buy their codex just to bone up on what they can do. I've never really feared Imperial Guard in the past, but I can see I need to now.

Long story short, I was decimated. He managed to the initiative and put a bad hurting on me with his first turn of fire, even with both the Russ and the artillery deviating enough that I only lost one model from my large Grey Hunter squad. He was smart, and targeted all my transports first before moving on to target my squads. I managed to kill the stupid artillery on the second turn with a long-range multi-melta shot, which really saved my bacon. I inflicted minimal damage on him, and only just pulled my chestnuts out of the fire by getting the ragged remains of my slogging into assualt with a 20-man guardsman squad on an objective. At the bottom of turn 5, I had three models left, which managed to break and run down the squad. This left me with the 3 remaining models of my last squad claiming an objective, for a 2-1 loss. The only thing that saved me was a charge into the autocannon squad, which held with one wound on one model then died in his turn, subsequently allowing me to make a risky charge into that large squad further back on an objective (and I wasn't sure if I was going to make that charge, it ended up being a hair over 11" away). Total luck on a couple of combats, with him holding or breaking at the right times.

I've got to get some work done, I'll post up the other two battles and my conclusions later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:08 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

My next game was vs. a guy playing what he called the 8th Company of Ultramarines, with Planetary Defense Force support. He was using the Blood Angels armylist with Inquisition allies to represent this. Since I primarily play BA myself, I have a pretty good idea of how they play, and what their weaknesses were. The Inquisition choices only made the list weaker, in my opinion, but I understand that this was a fluff-based decision.

He had an inquisitor with shooty retinue in a rhino, a chaplain with jumppack, a vindicare (?, the shooty assassin) modeled as a sniper guardsman, a death company jumppack squad (nicely modeled as veteran assualters, with an apothecary sgt to explain the Feel No Pain rule), two assualt squads in rhinos, an assualt squad with jumppacks, two squads of stormtroopers with plasmaguns in chimeras, and 3 individual multi-melta attack bikes.

This game was not much of a challenge. I had more firepower than he did, and took advantage of that fact to blast his transports at long range and shoot his forces for a couple turns before allowing the assault. Combined with more power weapons/fists than he had, and the nasty AP3 flamers of the Redeemer, I managed to clean him off the map completely by the end of turn 5. End result: victory with 17 kill points vs. 5.

This catapulted me back up to the second table, with 4th place. My opponent was an Ork player named Bradley. He had about half his points in a Warboss on bike and 10 biker Nobs. The rest of his army was a medium squad of lootas, two squads of truck boyz, and two medium (20ish) squads of shoota boyz on foot. I have a feeling I'm forgetting something, he may have had one more unit. Apparently he was building a speed kult army, but hadn't completed buying all his planned models yet.

If the entire list had been fast, I think I would have had more trouble. I get the feeling he hadn't been playing with them much, either, as he relied too much on the shock power of that big biker squad and sent them in too soon. He turboboosted them in for a turn two charge on one of my flanks, but unfortunately left them open for a lot of pain. The runepriest used Jaws of the World Wolf to kill three bikers and the Warboss by himself, while positioned behind the Long Fangs razorback and the Landraider to avoid being assaulted. I focused every S8+ weapon I had on them, reducing them down to 4 models, and then assaulted with the Iron Priest, killing two more at the cost of all but one Servitor and the Iron Priest. The next turn the Nobs killed the Iron Priest and Servitor in exchange for one of their own, leaving a single Nob to be shot down in my turn. After that, the Rune Priest was invaluable, picking off the power klaws from the squads with Jaws. Without power claws, I ran the bikers right into a big squad of Orks, and they just had the most difficult time wounding T5. The redeemer picked up my big slogging squad and ran them right up into the other large squad of Orks, flaming and boltering them down. The game ended with me holding 2 objectives to his 0.

I have to say, the rune priest was the MVP of this game. Without him, I really would have struggled. But Jaws took out nearly 1/4 his army in my first turn, then proceeded to neuter his squads of boyz by picking out the klaw-wielding nobs. Without the klaws, orks are simply nowhere near as scary. The T5 bikers are nice for tying up S3 boyz, but after the initial assault they don't contribute all that many wounds.

I'm not sure how many real lessons I took away from this tourney. The IG list sort of baffled me. I'm going to look at IG closer. I'm not sure how much I could have done, it did have the plethora of transport skimmers that I've come to hate with my assault based lists. The Blood Angels were not really a competitive list, and the Orks weren't either. I think the main success the Orks had was that no one was willing to focus entirely on the Nob bikers like I was. And perhaps they didn't have the plethora of S8 weapons that I did, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:00 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

So I've been playing quite a few 1750 games lately, and I need to reduce my list back to my usual 1500 point level. I'd also really like to use my new Canis model, although I'll probably proxy him as a Thunderwolf Cavalry unit of 1. Here's what I'm thinking:

100 Rune Priest with Living Lightning and Jaws of the World Wolf

150 Iron Priest with Wolf Tooth Necklace, 3x servitors, 4x cyberwolves

210 Grey Hunters x10 with 2x plasma guns, power weapon, rhino

208 Grey Hunters x8 with flamer, power weapon, Wolf Guard with power fist, rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5 with meltagun, Wolf Guard with combi-melta and power fist, razorback with heavy bolters

140 Bikers x3 with attack bike, power weapon, meltabombs

75 Thunderwolf Cavalry x1 with frost weapon

203 Long Fangs x5 with lascannons x2, missile launchers x2, Wolf Guard, razorback with heavy bolters

250 Landraider Redeemer with multi-melta

The Rune Priest will ride with the large CC-oriented Grey Hunter squad, popping out the top to use his powers. I've been thinking that the Bloodclaw Bikers may not need a leash, as they can fire from greater than 6" most of the time. I'm going to try it to save some points, that Wolf Guard is super expensive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:31 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Since this has become more of a blog than an army list thread, would some mod be so kind as to move it to the Warhammer 40k section and change the name to "AwesomeX's Space Wolf blog"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Thanks, whoever did that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:01 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Well, I’m a little turned off of BA for a bit after the PDF hoax. So, I fought with SW for the first time in a while yesterday. I played the exact list from above (luckily I had my laptop with me and could pull it off the internet, otherwise all I had would have been PDF lists), although I misread the list and thought my Rune Priest was on a bike still My opponent (a guy I see at the store fairly often) was using his White Scars army. He had a captain on bike with the +2 strength sword, two units of bikes with flamers and powerfists, unit of tacs in a rhino with plasma cannon and power weapon, one unit of two models of each multi-melta attack bikes, multi-melta/heavy flamer speeders, and missile launcher speeders, and for heavy support he took two dakka predators and a vindicator.

We were playing on a 4x4 table, which I dislike, but was the only one available at the game store at the time. It also had fairly sparse cover, the other players having taken most of it. I believe this weighted things in my favor somewhat, as he had a very mobile list but not as much space to run. What cover there was was placed in a diamond formation, with the pieces closer to the players starting edges counting as the home objectives. We played Capture and Control mission with Pitched Battle deployment.

With this in mind, I chose to go first when I won the roll-off, to take the center of the board. I massed my forces in the middle of the board, with my Landraider forming a spearhead, and the CC Rhino and Grey Hunter Razorback flanking it. The plasma gun Grey Hunter squad started dismounted behind nearby ruins, with their transport close to the ruins shielding them from the other direction. The longfangs I plopped down on my objective. The bikers and Thunderwolf I crammed in the space behind the Landraider and between the Grey Hunter transports to keep them safe(ish) from possible first-turn fire, should he get it. And a good thing I did!

He mostly put his units in or near cover. I know he placed the missile Landspeeders sort of behind a hill on the opposite side from my plasma gun Grey Hunters. The other speeders were behind his objective, and his attack bikes were on the other side. He put his captain and both units of bikers in reserve, and I think the CC portion of the combat squad as well. 5 tac marines with plasma cannon in his home objective. The preds and vindi he spread around a bit ranging from the side my plasma gun marines were to the middle.

He managed to Seize the Initiative, which worried me. He turbo-boosted the bikes into a position where I'd be forced to either move the Redeemer off towards an empty corner, or be within 12" range after their movement. He managed to immobilize, stun and tear the weapon off the CC Grey Hunter squad, basically doing everything but blowing it up, using nearly all the firepower at his disposal. The razorback he stunned as well, using the plasma cannon after he decided that he wasn't going to get a shot at exposed marines.

My turn, I moved the landraider nearly directly forward, using the multi-melta to destroy a landspeeder. The plasma Grey Hunter squad's rhino sped towards my center, hoping to pick up one of the other squads later on. The combined fire of that squad plus my Long Fangs rolled very poorly and their shots either missed or bounced of landspeeder armor. Both my other Grey Hunter squads dismounted and ran forward. The bikers moved away from the attack bikes, and the rune priest fired off a Jaws that did nothing. The only good luck I had was my Thunderwolf, which rolled a 6 for his fleet movement, and tackled the Attack Bikes in CC. He managed to kill one, and took no wounds in return.

I'm pretty sure that on my opponent's second turn is when his rhino showed up. Either that or it had been hiding somewhere and only now moved to where I noticed it. In any case, it started moving up the side where I had few units. I do know both his biker squads were still in reserve here. His lone surviving multi-melta/heavy flamer speeder removed a flamer from my landraider, but had managed to position in such a way that he could fire the heavy flamer and catch part of my large CC squad nearby, inflicting a casualty. I think his missile speeders decided to fire on my long fangs, but I only lost the Wolf Guard if anything. His plasma cannon wacked my plasma squad, which I'd foolishly left open by moving their rhino out of the way. Since they'd been bunched behind it for cover, they lost about half the squad, leaving them with a bunch of bolters and power weapon. The dakka preds he used to inflict a couple more casualties. The Vindicator shot at my landraider but deviated onto the edge of the small Grey Hunter squad, killing two I think. My thunderwolf killed of the remaining bike.

My turn, I ran my now plasma-less plasma squad back toward my home objective, as they weren't going to be able to reach the other one in time to contribute much. My landraider moved up and flamed the plasma cannon squad, which lost 3 men and then ran off the board! Wheeeee! With nothing else to do, my Thunderwolf ran and charged the vindicator, and ripped off it's cannon! The smaller Hunter squad ran towards the opponents objective, while the large one moved toward the vindicator and stunned it with a single melta shot. This turned out to be the best thing that could have happened, as it's bulk shielded me from the preds fire. The long fangs split their fire power. They missed the speeder, but succeeded in blowing up the rhino, and between the explosion and their razorback killed one marine. My bikers just sort of turbo-boosted off to one side, to keep from being attacked by his reserves.

In his third turn, both his biker squads came on. They kept mostly to one side of his home objective, hiding behind cover, and shot and flamed my small GH squad to death. The dakka preds couldn't find an angle where they could shoot my thunderwolf, so contented themselves with decimating my large GH squad down to just the power fist model. He succeeded in passing his test, though, and stayed put. His missile speeders stayed back and picked off a few more me from the plasma squad, leaving me with two. With nothing else to do, the displaced rhino marines ran back toward his home objective, managing to get a 6! This meant they were in countercharge range of the bikes. The captain managed to immobilize my redeemer, after which the lone speeder killed it with his combi-melta. He then charged the contents with the captain, killing most of the models that survived the explosion but getting smashed by a bunch of thunderhammer attacks.

My bikes were totally out of position, due to me turbo-boosting them for cover saves (I just now realized how stupid that was, as he had no weapons left that could negate powered armor saves). I ended up seperating thm, sending the bikers to melta-bomb a pred (where they completely wiffed) and the rune priest off to try to kill some bikers (which likewise failed). I don't remember what the long fangs did, but it must not have been much. The powerfist charged a pred but didn't harm it. A combo-charge from the Thunderwolf and Iron Priest destroyed one squad, at the cost of a wound on the thunderwolf and the Iron Priest losing his last remaining servitor. My razorbacks killed a biker from the other squad as well.

On his fourth turn, his melta speeder managed to miss with the multi-melta and the remainder of his combat squad then killed the iron priest before he could swing. His missile speeders killed the thunderwolf, while the bikers turbo-boosted to avoid combat and get close to my home objective. The dakka preds and the vindi killed my biker squad to the last man.

My turn, I directed as much firepower as I could at the bikers, but since they had turbo-boosted I only killed two of them. I did use the rune priest as well, which managed to kill one. He then charged, inflicting two wounds. This left just the power fist. My lone power fist model inflicted a single wound on his tac squad, which broke and ran off the board. That squad obviously needs better leadership!

His fifth turn, he concentrated on killing my scoring squads, charging the biker into my Grey Hunters and killing one (leaving the power weapon model only), and the dakka preds killed off my lone powerfist at his home objective. He zipped forward with both squadrons of speeders 24", trying to contest my objective.

On my turn my long fangs finally found their targeters and blew up both missile speeders. The concentrated fire of the razorbacks immobilized the other speeder, killing it. THe lone power weapon managed to kill his power fist biker before he could swing, leaving me with the only troop model on the board within 2" of my objective. We rolled, and the game ended there!

It was a pretty good, nailbiting game. I think the biggest thing that let me win was him not turbo-boosting both biker squads toward my objective their first turn on the board. If he'd done that, his firepower could have cleared my troops on his home objective with a fair degree of certainty, and between the two of them those biker squads would have been able to kill my units at my home objective.

The Thunderwolf did pretty well, partly because of that nasty 12" charge range. That's a much bigger threat radius than it seems. We'll see if it keeps working once other players get used to it. He could have killed it much earlier, if he'd devoted some firepower towards it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:11 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I've been thinking about taking out the Iron Priest lately. I really like him, but he takes nearly 1/3 of my 1500 list, and that's a lot. For now, I think I'm going to simply take away the landraider, and have him steal a transport.

I've also been realizing that when I use the big squad of Grey Hunters with cyclone Wolf Guard, they either sit still and have problems contributing their CC prowess, or they move about and lose the effect of the plasma. I see two possibilities to modify the squad: either I reduce the squad to minimum and use it as a mini-Long Fangs squad that can claim objectives, or I keep it big and change the plasma to assault weapons (possibly adding extra CC ability) and use it more aggressively. I'm going to try the small squad first, and see how it works. Combined with removing the landraider, this should free up a number of points.

Removing one squad

Finally, since with the removal of the landraider I now lack anything capable of moving 12" and assaulting I decided to make the bikers take much more of an assault role. All together, these are some fairly significant changes in how the list operates. I'm going to have to play a bit to see if I like it.

100 Rune Priest, Jaws, Lightning

135 Iron Priest, wolves x3, servitors x3

183 Grey Hunters x5, plasma gun, Wolf Guard w/termie armor, cyclone, power weapon, rhino

208 Grey Hunters x8, flamer, power weapon, Wolf Guard w/power fist, rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5, melta, Wolf Guard w/power fist, combi-melta, razorback w/heavy bolters

233 Bikes x4, power fist, attack bike w/heavy bolters, WG w/frost weapon, bike

75 Thunderwolf Cavalry x1, frost weapon

203 Long Fangs x5, missiles x2, lascannons x2, Wolf Guard, razorback w/heavy bolters

85 Predator, autocannons, heavy bolters

115 Vindicator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:09 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I did play a game as SW last weekend. Mainly because everyone and their mother is using the BA ruleset lately, and I didn't want to do BA vs. BA.

My main complaint? Everything seems so slow! I really miss fast transports and lots of jump packers, now that I've been spoiled by new BA.

The Iron Priest didn't work out at all in this configuration, as it was a Dawn Of War scenario. He basically came on after his stolen transport had already arrived and been immobilized, making him have to slog it. By the time he got to the enemy, only the Iron Priest himself was left, and he died to a bunch of I5 attacks before he could swing.

The TWC did a vicious number on an assault squad before going down. Unfortuantely, though, with the BA getting FC and FNP all over the place (my opponent used 3 Baals and a bunch of tricked out jump pack squads for this battle), my normal tactic of boltering an opponent and then taking the charge with my countercharge USR just didn't work nearly so well. Part of that is probably due to my use of multiple small squads, as by the time I5 was finished I had too few squad members left alive to matter. Full sized squads would probably be better, at least in this match up. That may not be entirely true, as I only played one game and didn't realize until too late that my normal tactics weren't as effective. Some experimentation may be in order. And would probably help my BA game as well, by being prepared for what works against me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:43 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

So my planned game last Sunday didn't happen (opponent never showed up), so I ended up playing another game with the Wolves vs. BA. I'm pretty certain now that the Iron Priest needs his own transport. This guy had 3(!) Vindicators, a bunch of razorbacks and baals, and went first. So to avoid getting splattered by a bunch of pie plates and dakka, I kept everything in reserve first turn. This meant the Iron Priest had to walk on again, and accomplished nothing but drawing a bit of assault cannon/heavy bolter fire.

Actually, most everything died to firepower. I would have been better off just taking that first turn hit, because I allowed him to zoom pretty close to my board edge and just keep retreating backwards while shooting all game. I may have had some chance if it was an objective game, but with a killpoint game it meant I took a bad beat.

I'm starting to get sort of annoyed with my Wolf games. I started out doing pretty well, but I've been taking some bad beats when I pull them out lately. Maybe I'm just not getting the practice with them that I had before.

In any case, I think the Iron Priest needs his Landraider back. Too many things can go wrong when he needs to steal a rhino from another squad, and he's too fragile to slog it.

I'm liking the Thunderwolf and the nastified biker squad, tho. They've done the best in the last couple of games. Much as I'd like to try a whole squad of THunderwolves, I'm not buying a bunch of Canis models to do so. And I don't have the modeling skills or interest to make my own. Bikers might be a possiblity, though, as you can get them fairly cheap on Ebay.

Consequently, I've come up with a pretty big departure from my previous lists. I'm not entirely happy with it, because it's got relatively few armored units to split enemy anti-tank, but it does have a lot of fast movement. Partly this is influenced by the current BA, which is very fast. It is 1750, more than my normal 1500 limit, but I couldn't really make myself happy in 1500. I'm not even completely satisfied with this, but it's a start. I'll use this for 1750 opponents, and BA for 1500 games.

235 Lord with bike, thunder hammer, storm shield, rune armor, saga of the bear

135 Rune Priest with bike, living lightning, jaws of the world wolf

263 Grey Hunters x10, 2x melta, Wolf Guard with termie armor, cyclone, power fist

233 Grey Hunters x9, melta, power weapon, Wolf Guard with power fist, combi melta, rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5, melta, Wolf Guard with combi-melta, power fist, razorback with heavy bolters

213 Bikes x3, power fist, flamer, attack bike with heavy bolter, Wolf Guard with bike, frost weapon

198 Bikes x3, flamer, power weapon, attack bike with heavy bolter, Wolf Guard with bike, power fist

75 Thunderwolf with frost weapon

115 Vindicator

60 Predator with autocannon

60 Predator with autocannon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:30 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

It's been quite some time since I posted. Actually, it's been quite some time since I've played 40k. Other games and Real Life (TM) have been getting in the way. But a friend convinced me today to dust off the models and play a team tourney with him this weekend. He wants to play with his new vanilla biker list, and I figured I'd play a fast Wolf list.

240 Wolf Lord, bike, frost blade, belt of russ, runic armor, saga of the bear

104 Wolf Guard x3, combi-meltas x3, drop pod

205 Grey Hunters x10, Mark of the Wulfen, 2x melta guns, drop pod

158 Grey Hunters x5, plasma gun, Wolf Guard in termie armor with cyclone missile launcher and power fist

218 Bikers x3, flamer, powerfist, attack bike with heavy bolter, Wolf Guard with bike, twin lightning claws

He's got twol multi-melta attack bike squads, and 3 biker squads (one each flamer, melta, and plasma) with Kahn.

Wish us luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:44 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Well, sorry for taking so long to post this. I went in the weekend before last with my models and the entire game store was filled with people playing a M:tG tournament. Somehow I'd gotten the date confused. Oops!

In any case, the tourney was a semi-success. We won third place. Not bad, but a little disappointing to get smashed so badly in the last game when we were doing so well.

The first game is a little fuzzy, as it was mid-morning and I work nights. Basically it'd be like starting a tourney at 3am for normal people. In any case, I know it was against a team of Necrons and Eldar. The Eldar went heavy on slogging Wraithguard and Wraith Lords, the Necrons had a lot of Warriors and Immortals (I think. The T5 ones with the assualt 2 guns) and a few Destroyers. Really, any team with on Necron player is going to be at a disadvantage right off the bat. With our fast assault list, there really was no chance. We hid ourselves in combat until the Necrons vanished, then cleaned up the Wraiths. Our opponent essentially got two turns of shooting, one during the first turn and one when the Necrons phasing out stranded some units in the open. Other than that we wiped the board with them, leaving only a couple of Wraith Lords left at the end and taking all the objectives.

I was a little more alert during the second game (thanks to 2 Rock Stars). This one was vs. two marine armies. The first guy had Vulcan, a gaggle of thunderhammer termies in a land raider, a small missile launcher scout squad, and a tac squad in a rhino with meltagun firepower and a power fist. The other had a captain with thunder hammer and storm shield, a couple units of tacs with meltaguns and power fists in rhinos, and a vanguard vet squad with jump packs, storm shields, and thunderhammers. The game started off poorly, with an argument over Vulcan providing his benefits to the other players army as well. Unfortunately for us, the Tourney Organizer ruled in their favor.

We did, however, manage to Seize the Initiative. We then took advantage of their overly aggressive placement and killed or immobilized all three rhinos with long-range missile and multi-melta firepower, and the land raider with the sacrificial wolf guard squad. That essentially killed all their mobility, while we had all of ours left. They were able to do absolutely nothing but move forward to try to engage us. We spent most of the game dancing around them, my bike squad with Lord and Kahn smashing all three tac squads while the rest of the bikers whittled down the termies from long range. The only real bad moment we had was when the Vanguard Vets came in and wiped out a bike squad, but then the rest of the army moved in and shot them to death. In the end we'd lost a bike squad and the large Grey Hunter squad in return for the entire enemy army except a couple of termies and the HQs. Smashing victory for us!

Last game was vs. mirror BA lists, both with Mephiston and a bunch of attack bikes and assault squads. Really, two Mephistons is an almost uncounterable advantage. We did kill one, but even that weakened our list so much we had no chance. They were flying all over the place, moving nearly as fast as we could turboboost and eating everything they touched. That was essentially the game. By the end all we had left was my Lord locked in combat with the remaining Mephiston, and the remains of the large Grey Hunter squad locked with an assault squad. We lost, 4 objectives to 0. It was a bad enough beat to drop us from tied for first to 3rd.

I've avoided using Mephiston so far myself, but I've been saying that he is counterable. But two is too much in a 2000 point game. It was a total beat down, and I don't really have any idea what we could have done different. I'd like to say I'm big enough to let it pass, but to be honest between the Vulcan thing and the two Mephiston team, I'm a little miffed about the rule bending allowed in this tourney. Or perhaps not rule bending, but leniency in interpretation. But hey, that's the way it goes sometimes. I still walked away with a 20% discount on the next box I purchase, and that ain't too shabby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:16 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

nicely done :)

not a 40K player myself but I'll throw in that I don't like that multiple unique characters thing either. At the end of the day they are supposed to be that just that, unique.
And from what I've been reading elsewhere Meph' is just about the hardest thing going, so it just sounds like a pair of true powergamers to me :)

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940