Login |  Register |  FAQ

AwesomeX's Space Wolf Blog

Post subject: AwesomeX's Space Wolf Blog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:59 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Wow, not much action here. Last post is two months old?

I haven't played in quite some time, but the new Space Wolf 'dex may pull me back in. I usually play BA, but for a little change of pace I thought I'd write up a puppy list. Not much of a change, you might be thinking. True, but they're a little shootier and still very good in my favorite phase, the assualt phase.

I really wanted to play with either an Iron Priest or a Lone Wolf. Both looked fun, and I chose the Iron Priest here because he seemed to work better in a mechanized list. My main concern is the vulnerability of my main anti-tank, the Long Fangs and Razorback. The meltas give close-in anti-tank, but only one good blast each due to the combi-meltas.

225 Wolf Lord w/bike, frostblade, belt of russ, saga of the warrior born

155 Iron Priest w/saga of the iron wolf, 3x servitors, 4x cyberwolves

253 9x Grey Hunters w/melta, mark of the wulfen, powersword, 1x Wolf Guard w/combi-melta, powerfist, rhino

253 9x Grey Hunters w/melta, mark of the wulfen, powersword, 1x Wolf Guard w/combi-melta, powerfist, rhino

140 3x Bloodclaw Bikers, attack bike, powerweapon, meltabombs

230 6x Long Fangs, 3x heavy bolters, 2x lascannons, razorback w/twin-linked lascannons

240 Land Raider Redeemer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:33 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Seriously? Two weeks and not a single reply?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:03 am 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I admit it, I just haven't played much 40K since 5th Edition came out, and I don't have the Space Wolves book. I can only offer very vague and general advice.

1500 / 43 minis = Roughly 35 points per model. Not very good body count, but it's not too extreme as Marines lists go.
The whole force seems mobile and able to present enough targets to an enemy that some of the vehicles should be able to get in close.
I'm not a fan of combi-weapons, but I'm not sure what other anti-tank options Space Wolves currently have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:54 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Okay, I'll bite. :)

First off, the Lord. You've overpriced him by 10 points. Typically it's worth the extra 10 points to splurge on the Thunderwolf Mount. However, I can see what you've intended with him, so I won't really force the point. Otherwise, it's a powerful build.

Okay, I don't really like the Iron Priest. Yes, he can ride in the LR, and repair it, but beyond that you don't really have anything worth repairing. Plus, the Cyberwolves look like an attempt to make an assault unit out of a support unit. Also, an extra D3" of movement is probably going to do precisely squat, and with 3 servies he doesn't need the +1 to repair. Drop it. Actually, if it were me, I'd drop the Swiftclaws altogether, demote the Lord to on foot, and stick him in the Raider. There you go, now your Iron Priest can REALLY kill things.

Again, your Grey Hunters are actually 243 points, but beyond that nothing to add.

Again, I'd say drop the Swifties. They're too small of a unit to really do anything in assault, and SW Attack Bikes are fairly... underwhelming.

The Long Fangs are good. I'd personally like to see another unit in there.

So in total, something more like this:

185 Wolf Lord w/ Frost Blade, Belt of Russ, Saga of the Warrior Born

140 Iron Priest, 3x servitors, 4x cyberwolves

243 9x Grey Hunters w/melta, mark of the wulfen, powersword, 1x Wolf Guard w/combi-melta, powerfist, rhino

243 9x Grey Hunters w/melta, mark of the wulfen, powersword, 1x Wolf Guard w/combi-melta, powerfist, rhino

230 6x Long Fangs, 3x heavy bolters, 2x lascannons, razorback w/twin-linked lascannons

170 6x Long Fangs, 3x missile launcher, 2x lascannon

240 Land Raider Redeemer

Leaving you with 49 points to spare. I'd upgrade the frost blade to two wolf claws, add a multi-melta on the Redeemer, and maybe throw on some extra armor for good measure.

Daemon Host, the source for all your 40K/Fantasy Daemon needs. (And maybe others, too!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:55 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Well, thanks for checking it out. Played a couple of games with this list last weekend. One thing I hadn't realized until midway thru the first game was that the Iron Priest no longer has 2 wounds. I'm not sure he's nearly so good with only one wound. We also came up against a snag where we weren't sure if his wolves and servitors disappeared when he died or not (are they wargear or a squad?). If they're a squad it might still be usable. Not sure if I want to keep them in the redeemer. A rhino may be better (it's certainly less of an "eggs in a basket" situation), although they can't move and assualt out of a rhino.

I was pretty happy with the bikes, tho not so much with the Wolf Lord. Saga of the Warrior Born sounds good, but with bikes the key is not to commit them too soon, where as with SotWB you want that lord in combat as fast as possible. I'm thinking of downgrading him to a simple Battle Leader w/bike and frostblade, which also saves me 95 points.

The grey hunter squads were awesome, though I think I need another troops unit to claim objectives. 2 is a bit too small.

In response to the comments: Venator the list is expensive in terms of points per model, but that's partly due to having a Land Raider in the list. The units themselves are not too expensive individually.

Lord Sandwich, I disagree about the bikers. With a character to control them they're fairly hitty and the key is using their turbo-boost to back up other units. If I was going all-out assualt, yes Thunderwolf Cavalry would be the way to go. Bikers, however, are better used to add weight to other units by using their mobility (which thunderwolves simply can't match). I'm much less impressed with the Iron Priest now that I see he has only 2 wounds, although I disagree that he's only a support unit. Quite the opposite, he's a combat unit that can support other units. Remember that he's not an IC any more, so can't be targeted in CC. That is a very important edge for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:12 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

My new list based on the lessons of last weekend. I'm trying to keep the Iron Priest in the list, simply because he's interesting and unusual.

130 Wolf Guard Battle Leader w/frostblade, bike

155 Iron Priest w/servitors x3, cyberwolves x4, saga of the Iron Wolf

243 Grey Hunters x9 w/meltagun, MotW, power weapon, WG w/combi-melta and power fist, rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5 w/meltagun, WG w/combi-melta and power fist, razorback

175 Grey Hunters x6 w/plasma gun, razorback w/tllc

155 Bikers x3 w/attack bike, power fist, flamer, meltabombs

230 Long Fangs x6, heavy bolters x3, lascannons x2, razorback w/tllc

250 Land Raider Redeemer w/multi-melta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

This list makes me happier. You hit the Bike issue on the nose: the Lord wants to be eating things, but the Bikers need to be used in a supporting role. In fact, I'd consider trying to bulk them out a little more. The expensive Razor squads don't add that much: the las/plas Razor squad is expensive, and GHs really want to get close to the enemy, while the Razor and plasma gun suggest camping use.

This list is actually illegal. You have 2 WG, yet you need 3 minimum. I'm not sure how you'd fix it in this context. Possibly manipulate the las/plas Razor squad, but again I don't like it in the first place.

WOW. I completely glossed over the IP entry, and didn't realize he was no longer an IC. I thought he was just an IC like the C:SM Techmarine. Well, then that unit's completely different. I like it now.

Daemon Host, the source for all your 40K/Fantasy Daemon needs. (And maybe others, too!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:19 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Hmm, you're right about the WG. I'll have to work on that.

The small GH pack is supposed to hang back and claim objectives. I don't think it's any worse at it than a standard SM combat squad.

I may remove the tllc and a member from the squad, and use the points to put a WG in the bike squad. If I remove the flamer, reduce the pfist to a pweapon, and take the MM from the 'raider, i can put a fist on the WG (a better place for it than the regular biker).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:45 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I'll be playing a game or two this weekend, and I've modified the list a little. The major changes are I upgraded the 6-man grey hunter squad to a more combat-oriented squad, while downgrading the razorback to the basic version. I removed the biker HQ in preferance to a wolf guard biker and a rune priest. I also turned the lascannon razorback accompaning the long fangs into a wolf guard with cyclone.

The addition of the third assualty squad allowed me to reduce some of the combat power of the big squad by removing the Mark. It's still nasty, but not such a target now. I also added a standard to the big squad, to see how it does. I'm not convinced it's a good investment, I'm thinking about using the points to upgrade the bikers flamer to a combi-melta, and to give the wolf guard biker a combi-melta as well.

The bikers are now really relegated to a support role. They lack "oomph" except on the charge, so now really need to be used in a combination charge.

Turning the HQ into a shooty rune priest will allow him to go with the long fangs in the backfield. The addition of the wolf guard to the long fangs gives some pretty good assualt power, along with allowing them to have some shooty on the move. I recently noticed that the space wolf version of the cyclone gets 2 shots instead of one, making it a seemingly good deal for long-range shooty squads.

In any case, I'll post up the results and experiances from this new list. Any critique is welcome.

100 Rune Priest w/living lightning and some other power (tempest's wrath?)

155 Iron Priest w/servitors x3, cyberwolves x4, Saga of the Iron Wolf

243 Grey Hunters x9 w/melta, pweapon, standard, Wolf Guard w/power fist, combi-melta, rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5 w/melta, Wolf Guard w/power fist, combi-melta, razorback w/heavy bolters

163 Grey Hunters x5 w/melta, Wolf Guard w/power fist, combi-melta, razorback w/heavy bolters

208 Bikers x3, attack bike w/heavy bolter, power fist, flamer, Wolf Guard w/power fist, bike

228 Long Fangs x6, heavy bolters x3, lascannons x2, Wolf Guard w/terminator armor, powerfist, cyclone

240 Landraider Redeemer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

So I played 3 games over the weekend with this list, and came to some conclusions.

First, the rune priest with living lightning rocks against mech armies! Two of the games were vs. marines, and he was popping transports right and left. Against eldar he did slightly worse, since they have AV12 and move fast, but still it was respectable.

Second, the mobility of the bikers means that they'll benefit more from melta technology than flamers. I'll switch the weapons of the large hunter squad with that of the bikers.

Third, in a couple of games I was really wishing I had a second large squad. The small grey hunter squads are nice for their points, but it's fairly easy to shoot them off an objective. Against termies, I also miss having plasma in my squads, so I think a large squad with 2x plasma is going to be added.

Last, while the termie with cyclone was a nice addition to the long fangs, in a spearhead deployment it really hurts them not to have a transport to zoom into cover in when they finally make it onto the map. I think I'm going to change that back to a razorback.

So here's the list I'll be taking out next time I get a chance to play:

100 Rune Priest w/Living Lightning and something else (still not sure what)

233 Grey Hunters x9 w/flamer, pweapon, standard, Wolf Guard w/power fist, rhino

195 Grey Hunters x10 w/plasma x2, rhino

208 Bikers x3, attack bike w/heavy bolter, power weapon, melta, Wolf Guard w/power fist, bike, combi-melta

195 Long Fangs x6, heavy bolters x3, lascannons x2, razorback w/heavy bolters

250 Landraider Redeemer w/multi-melta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Just realized that the Rune Priest has no ride, since all the vehicles are at capacity. I'll remove a long fang. New list looks like this:

105 Rune Priest w/meltabombs, Living Lightning and something else (still not sure what)

233 Grey Hunters x9 w/flamer, pweapon, standard, Wolf Guard w/power fist, rhino

210 Grey Hunters x10 w/plasma x2, pweapon, rhino

208 Bikers x3, attack bike w/heavy bolter, power weapon, melta, Wolf Guard w/power fist, bike, combi-melta

175 Long Fangs x5, heavy bolters x2, lascannons x2, razorback w/heavy bolters

250 Landraider Redeemer w/multi-melta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:23 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

This is becoming more of a blog about my list's evolution. Latest update: I played two games over the weekend, both against eldar. End result, one pretty easy win, and one devastating loss. I think I'll starting doing mini-batreps (to the best of my foggy memory), partly because they're fun to read and partly so that you can understand why I'm making the changes I am.

The first was one of the skimmer-heavy lists I hate so much with my assualt armies. A squad of warlocks and farseer, two minimum squads of dire avengers in wave serpents, one more in a falcon, and two prisms. Pretty much the only thing a list like mine can do is get to objectives and sit in cover, hoping to last until turn 5 when the opponent is forced to come to you.

He won the roll off, holding everything in reserve and giving me the first turn. About the only offensive action I tried was running the LRR forward with the iron priest and assualted a serpent while flaming the warlocks. The flamers didn't kill a thing, but I did manage to take down the skimmer. Unfortunately, I then lost the squad to prism fire and shuriken cannon fire. Massed S6 weapons are nasty when you have are relying on T5 to get you thru not having an armor save. Rune Priest was plagued by bad rolls the whole game. Bikers suicided trying to take down a tank. He assualted two squads simultaneously at the end of turn 4, pulling them off their respective objectives. He deposited the avengers on those objectives, winning the game for him. It's one of those things that comes down to a single die roll, if we'd gotten a 6th turn, I'd've charged and slaughtered one of those squads, turning it into a tie. A 7th turn would likely have seen me massacre the other squad.

Nothing I really could have done, tactically speaking, to win with this list. Any CC-oriented list is going to have trouble with a shooty skimmer list. If I want to be able to have much of a chance against skimmer-heavy lists, I have to put more dakka in, which takes away from my assualt power. I will say that the Redeemer is absolutely necessary if I want to try to get the Iron Priest in assualt range of a skimmer.

The second one was an odd list, with a couple of large Guardian squads with warlock and gun, a large Dire Avengers squad on foot, and a Striking Scorpions squad, all backed by Eldrad and an Avatar. He also had a couple of Wraithlords with brightlance and EML, a miminum Dire Avenger squad in a Falcon, and a small unit of jetbikes with warlock.

This was a 1750 list, so I added a sponsonless autocannon Pred (a good anti-skimmer unit for it's cost, I feel), a second small Grey Hunter squad identical to the one already present, and exchanged the rhino on the plasma Grey Hunter squad for a Wolf Guard in termie armor with cyclone and power fist. I was hoping the extra ranged firepower from the cyclone and pred would down one of the skimmers I was sure he had. Of course, then he ended up not having a skimmer list at all!

Well, his list ended up taking me completely by surprise. We both started with everything on the table, except he kept the falcon and jetbikes in reserve. He placed everything about as far forward as he could, with the masses of guardians in front. I won the roll and went first, since I wanted the extra shots before my razorbacks and pred went first.

I did have some good luck in that I managed to take the Avatar down to a single wound with the Pred and Long Fangs before Eldrad could use his rerolling armor spell. He advanced and popped a couple transports, and that was about it for his first turn.

Second turn I stayed put, firing in the 12-24" range with bolters, trying to whittle him down. The Pred, razorback, and Long Fangs all failed to take that last wound off the Avatar. His second turn, he advanced again, with one guardian squad within catapult range, and killed my pred and a few marines.

Third turn, I moved forward to rapidfire range, and managed to kill the avatar with the long fangs. With the avatar gone, I broke one guardian squad with bolter fire and charged the other with a small GH squad. On his turn, he blew my last razorback with one Wraithlord and charged the other into the guardian combat. The powerfist put a wound on the wraithlord before the whole squad went down.

After that it just devolved into a huge combat in the center. His falcon and bikes came on in the third turn, I think. I know I'd held my bikes out of the way, and they managed to melta and charge the falcon and it's contents, then chased the jetbikes around the board the rest of the game. The Iron Priest plastered a Wraithlord in CC, and the Redeemer flamed the massed guardians into non-existance. I think his plan was to try to tie my units up with fearless guardians, but when I managed to kill his avatar just in time to assualt him the game was pretty much over.

I really liked the large Grey Hunter squad with plasma in both games. In the first it managed to survive a bunch of shooting with enough left to assualt if there had been a 6th turn. In the second game, it was a brutal unit. It shot up and broke some guardians, put a wound on a wraithlord, and even managed to slowly beat down a big squad of dire avengers with all the defensive bonuses. I think I'm going to keep it in the termie mode for a bit, to see if it does as well in the next few games.

The Iron Priest unit did extremely well these games, too, managing to take down a skimmer in the first and massacre a Wraithlord in the second. Rune Priest did pretty much nothing both games, but that was largely due to poor rolls. Redeemer may be able to be downgraded, but I think it serves a purpose in that much of the long-range anti-tank gets directed at it, saving my other transports. I haven't come up against a melta-heavy list yet, though, so I may change my mind after that. In any case, I think my new list will be this:

100 Rune Priest with Living Lightning and Jaws of the World Wolf

140 Iron Priest with 3x Servitors and 4x cyberwolves (I'd like to keep Saga of the Iron Wolf, but I'm not sure what I could drop)

233 Grey Hunters x9 with flamer, power weapon, wolf standard, Wolf Guard with power fist, and rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5 with melta, Wolf Guard with combi-melta and power fist, and razorback with heavy bolters

233 Grey Hunters x10 with 2x plasma guns, Wolf Guard with termie armor, power fist, and cyclone

208 Bikers x3 with heavy bolter attack bike, power weapon, meltagun, Wolf Guard with power fist and combi-melta

173 Long Fangs x4 with 1x heavy bolter, lascannon x2, Wolf Guard, razorback with heavy bolters

250 Landraider Redeemer with multimelta

I must say, I'm having a lot of fun with the new SW codex. The sheer number of options means you can play around with it quite a bit. I also feel it's much more competitive than my beloved BA are currently, with their half 'dex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:35 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

So apparently there's a tourney at my FLGS the day after christmas. This one is allowing unpainted models, so I may actually enter. I'm debating between taking a SW list, or using my beloved BA. We'll see.

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually enjoy reading this thread, or am I wasting my time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:34 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I normally find army list threads to be quite boring. This one has been rather fun to read, however. I like watching how your list changes as you play. It's fun to learn what works and what doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:47 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Well, I'm glad someone is enjoying it. I see a lot of people read, but few comment. I will try to start incorporating more of my thought process into my posts, so people can see more of the "why", as opposed to the "what". If anyone has any suggestions for me (on list changes, on how to make my posts more readable, what you'd like to see more of, or whatever), please don't hesitate to tell me. It's much more fun for me to write all this out when I get some feedback.

I've decided to take Space Wolves to the tourney this weekend for two reasons. First, I feel the current iteration of my first loves, the Blood Angels, are just not as competitive as the Space Wolves. Hopefully that will change soon, as the rumors are going around that BA will have the next codex after Tyranids. Second, I'm really in the groove of playing Space Wolves lately, and I like the challenge of taking a looked-down upon unit (or units, if you count the bikers) and making it the centerpiece of my army.

With this tourney, I'm (presumably) going to be going up against some more serious lists than I have in the past. Eldar skimmer lists are pretty good, and experiance has shown me that they are some of my most difficult challenges with assaulty lists. These just can't be handled with assualts, I will have to sacrifice some potential CC power for some firepower. Normally I am against this in "just for fun" games, because I find the shooting phase to be boring. With actual prizes on the line, I am much more willing to make a few changes in the name of efficiency. This is a 1750 tourney, so I can add things without taking away much (which alleviates some of the pain).

Here's what I'm thinking:

135 Rune Priest with bike, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

165 Iron Priest with Wolf Tooth Necklace, 3x servitors, 4x cyberwolves, Saga of the Iron Wolf

243 Grey Hunters x10 with 2x plasmaguns, Wolf Standard, Wolf Guard w/terminator armor & power fist & cyclone missile launcher

243 Grey Hunters x9 with meltagun, power weapon, Wolf Standard, Wolf Guard with combi-melta & power fist, rhino

163 Grey Hunters x5 with meltaun, Wolf Guard with combi-melta & power fist, razorback with heavy bolters

208 Bikers x3 with melta, power weapon, attack bike with heavy bolter, Wolf Guard with bike & power fist & combi-melta

203 Long Fangs x5 with 2x missile launchers and 2x lascannons, Wolf Guard, razorback with heavy bolters

60 Preditor with autocannons

250 Landraider Redeemer with multi-melta

That leaves me with 80 points, which I'm undecided on what to do with. Let me explain a few things about my current choices before I go into how I'm thinking of using those points.

I want to try putting the Rune Priest on a bike to get the most out of is Jaws of the World Wolf power. Putting him on a bike also stops him from taking up a space in the Long Fangs transport, allowing them to take an extra heavy weapon. Finally, in the event I have a chance to whack something valuable with his instant-kill force weapon, he's got the mobility to do so in a package that isn't terribly expensive (pointswise).

The Iron Priest I gave a Wolf Tooth Necklace too, because I finally twigged to the fact that it's silly not to. He puts out 4 attacks on the charge, always hitting on 3s is a very good thing with so many powerful attacks.

My large walking Grey Hunter squad will give some decent long-range firepower, while still being a troops squad (and thus able to claim objectives). This squad (minus the Wolf Guard) was very valuable in my previous battle against a skimmer list, and hopefully the added bonus of the cyclone missile launcher will only improve that.

The large rhino Grey Hunter squad is the unassuming centerpiece of my army. It's really been the lynchpin that the rest of my army revolves around. It's large, which means it's pretty tough (as big marine squads generally are). It's good in both close range firefights and assaults, which means I have no problems throwing it into the enemies face. It's scoring, so I can capture objectives. And it's mobile, which means it has a fairly large threat radius. It's so good that I'm very tempted to exchange the walking Grey Hunters squad for another of these, but I think in some situations I will need the long-range firepower the other squad provides.

The small Grey Hunters squad is a nice squad for smaller assualts, or reinforcing a large assualt. It's also small enough to be ignored, but big enough to be a threat. Finally, it's cheap enough that I don't mind suiciding it if necessary (usually to take out a big nasty vehicle). The razorback allows the transport to still provide some offense even after the squad has disembarked. It's a nice squad, but having tried putting several in an army list I have realized that it's a support unit, not a mainline unit.

I love my bikers. I get a lot of flack on them, as many people see them as less than efficient uses of points. They are definately a finesse unit, often not making their points back directly. Instead, I usually use them as a threat to affect an enemies maneuver, and as a last-minute objective contester. And did I say I just love them, for no logical reason?

The Long Fangs got an upgrade from heavy bolters to missile launchers. I've realized that with bolters, razorbacks, and CC ability I don't need the anti-infantry firepower they provide as much as I do the fire support. I think. This is, of course, untested. In any case, the missile launchers have their frag missiles as well, so I shouldn't suffer too much in the anti-infantry department.

The pred is a good, cheap anti-skimmer platform. And it can help distract the opponent's shots from the really dangerous things in my army, the transports.

The Redeemer is really the only way to get a transport for the Iron Priest, short of stealing another squads transport. It's big and tough, and will carry my armies centerpiece unit to where it needs to go.

So given all those thoughts on how my list works, I'm really thinking along two lines for those 80 points. First, I'm thinking of adding a Landspeeder with multi-melta and heavy flamer. Melta units are very good at killing Eldar skimmers with holofields, as the AP1 gives that lovely bonus on the chart. The heavy flamer would be nice as well, since I've upgraded the Grey Hunter's flamer to a meltagun. Combined with the bikers and the extra d3" the Iron Priest gives the Landraider, this would also allow me to set up a tricky refused flank maneuver by placing these units on one side of the board and on the first turn running them over to the other. However, with AV10, even a bolter can take it down, so they're often One Hit Wonders. I'd probably just slap a set of meltabombs on the Rune Priest with the 5 extra points.

My other thought is to upgrade the weapons on the razorbacks. I'm not sure if I'd put twin-linked lascannons, twin-linked assualt cannons, or lascannon and twinlinked plasma guns in that case. I'm sort of leaning toward assualt cannons, as then I wouldn't lose the anti-infantry power of the heavy bolters. Any of those upgrades increases the long-range firepower of the army, but they also make the transports more of a target. The 10 spare points would be used to upgrade the attack bike to the multi-melta variety.

Anyone have any thoughts on these options?