Login |  Register |  FAQ

Are you interested in reading a 40k players blog?
yes 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
no 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

AwesomeX's Blood Angel blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:56 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

So I've been using slight variations of the list in my last post. It's been working pretty well, but I'm starting to get a little bored with it. Since I've been working on building another biker squad, I decided to make a fast mobile force with no vehicles in it at all. This is what I'm thinking:

220 Astowrath

90 Priest with power sword and jump pack
100 Priest with power sword and bike

235 Assault Squad x10 with 2x melta and power fist

235 Assault Squad x10 with 2x melta and power fist

175 Scouts x10 with missile launcher and power fist

195 Bikers x3 with 2x plasma, power fist, and attack bike with multi-melta

150 Attack bikes x3 with multi-meltas

100 Attack bikes x2 with multi-meltas

1500 total

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:01 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I've played a few battles with this force now, and I have to say the more I play with bikes the more I like them. They're fast, versatile, surprisingly tough. I keep toying with getting a bunch of bikes and some speeders and doing a Ravenwing force, but I'm really not a fan of Dark Angel fluff or color scheme. Is there a non-Space Marine army that uses a lot of bikes and has good assault capability? I can't think of one.

Astowrath is probably a little expensive for what he brings to this list, I really need more assaulting squads for him to live to his full potential. I'm considering dropping him for a libby with jump pack and another priest. If I ever make the jump to 1750 or more, I'll include another assault squad, which should make him a little better. At 2000, I'll include another assault squad, scout squad, and priest.

I'm not really missing vehicles at all with this list. It's very mobile, and has plenty of anti-tank firepower without resorting to taking vehicles of my own. The lack of range doesn't seem to be all that bad, since really I want to assault the contents of transports anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:49 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

White Scars are the official "Bike Chapter". Of course you could still make a Raven Wing force without playing the actual Dark Angels... they do have several successor chapters with different paint schemes. Although their fluff all traces back to the same story, the successor chapters do have their own style and background.

As far as non-Marine forces go, assault+bikes seems to suggest Orks to me, but I'd have to dig out my codex to really see how many slots you can fill with bikes and deff kopters. Certainly a squad of nob bikers has struck fear into the hearts of many a foe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:12 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

The DA successors are all DA clones. Their successors are all supposed to have the same mission and secrecy crud that I dislike. Using Ravenwing rules to simulate White Scars might be a possibility, but isn't the DA 'dex supposed to pretty outdated? Even then I don't know that even DA Ravenwing is very CC oriented, I thought they were more shooty?

I'd forgotten about Orks, tho. I'll have to take a look at them. They might be fun, now that they've evolved from their earlier role as the comic relief of 40k a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

I'm afraid I never bought the current Dark Angles codex so I'm not familiar with the finer points of Raven Wing forces.

Although all Dark Angels successors do share a common heritage, some of them might be quite unique. Not sure since I don't care for the dirty xenos-loving traitors myself!

To give an example of how far from the tree some successor chapters can fall, I might mention the Flesh Tearers. A cursed-founding successor chapter of the Blood Angels which is losing its battle with the Black Rage. Desperate, dying and insane, the Flesh Tearers are fewer in number each year as the chapter sinks into madness. Infamous for killing and eating Imperial Civilians that got in their way during a battle on Armageddon. Their paint scheme is also more black than red. Now there's a successor chapter that stands out from its parent!
I'm just saying, if you do the research you may discover there is a non-lame Dark Angels successor chapter. Maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:08 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

While there are plenty of chapters that don't follow their parent legion's example, I'd have to disagree about the Flesh Tearers. They're just an extreme example of where the BA could go.

In any case, it's a theme with the DA that their successors don't stray far from the fold. And honestly, I care little enough for them that I probably won't bother with doing the research to find out.