Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tau vs Imperial help

Post subject: Tau vs Imperial help
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:42 am 
Private
Private

Yeah... my friend using my old tau army is effortlessly wiping the floor with my imperial guard at the moment, does anyone have any recomendations on how to beat him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Although they tend to be stereotyped at stationary gun lines, Tau forces can be quite variable. It would help to know what it is they're using. Some general anti-Tau tactics that may work include:

Against large units of Fire Warriors, use the Imperium's impressive collection of AP4 weapons. Regular old Heavy Flamers that can be mounted on Chimeras and Sentinels work especially well.

Tau are famously incompetent in hand-to-hand. The Guard are not known for their great assault troops either, but they can still deal with Tau. Outflanking Scout Sentinels can teach the enemy the dangers of deploying too close to the short sides of the map. BattleSuits are strong enough to damage Scout Sentinels in hand-to-hand, but assaulting still neutralizes the BattleSuits' more powerful shooting attacks, so it's worth doing.

Crisis Suits conducting pop-up attacks from behind terrain can be destroyed instantly if you can simply get off one good shot with a S8 weapon. Sentinels with missile launchers, lascannons and/or hunter-killer missiles can move to get line of sight and still shoot. Scout Sentinels can outflank to show up from a position where the BattleSuits have no cover. Deep striking Storm Troopers armed with meltaguns and their AP3 super flashlights can appear out of nowhere and vaporize BattleSuits. With careful placement they may even live long enough to boast of it. Mechanized meltavets can flush the 'Suits from their cover simply by overrunning them. Of course indirect-fire weapons can hit them where they hide as well.

Against mechanized Tau, the usual transport busting weapons will work. I'm partial to an alpha-strike of hunter-killer missiles from every available vehicle, followed up by healthy doses of autocannon and missile launcher fire.

You might also try something very unusual just to shake things up and throw your opponent on to the defensive. For example, use a "deploy nothing" outflanking list. I have one I wrote up just for fun here that might offer some useful ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:35 am 
Private
Private

I agree, those are some good general tactics. What is the Kroot make-up in the army? Those tend to buffer assaults. . . The thing is you can't get too locked into a war of attrition with the Tau, because they will win most battles like that.

When facing the Tau you have to bring the fight to them while remembering that you will get hit hard. Do you have any assault type troops in your IG army? Since they are both your armies you should have a pretty good understanding of how they work.

Maybe your friend is just getting the luck of the rolls or he could be a better tactician.