Login |  Register |  FAQ

500 pts of marines (drop pods)

Post subject: 500 pts of marines (drop pods)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:35 am 
Private
Private

Right, this is aimed at the theme of having a drop poddy style army at low points, inspite of the cost of drop pod units (205 pts with no upgrades) meaning that it is more or less impossible to field a drop pod only army at 500 pts (yes, you could feild two default drop troop squads and an unupgraded chaplin, but... no >.>)

HQ:
Chaplin with terminator armour and storm bolter: 130 pts
(reasons to buy: cheaper than captain with terminator armour, fits in with theme, useful re-rolls once joined up with a squad or just solo
Against: none really, as it’s about as cheap a deep striking HQ unit as you can get )
Troops:
Drop (tactical) squad: ten marines with melta, rocket launcher (free) and drop pod: 210 pts
(reasons to buy: drop pods are cool (and in theme), can be dropped in the very first turn using deepstriking rules and can’t kill itself dropping too close to enemy forces, great scare unit with its melta gun
Reasons against: big point sink, could technically muck up deepstriking to the point of death especially in crowded boards,)
Scout squad: five scouts with camo cloaks and a single heavy bolter and snipers all round: 100 pts
(reasons for: stable base of fire with heavy suppressing fire, both in terms of death and actual pinning to cause, sniper can help bring down high toughness opposition (bugs… >.>) also, with camo cloaks that’s a 3+ cover save in cover that with any luck due to infiltrate letting them set up well, they will never have to leave all game
Reasons against: two out of five possess heavy weapons, meaning mobility looses a lot of potential for kills, relatively weak to other squad)
Fast attack:
Land speeder with multimelta: 60pts
(Reasons for: fast anti vehical mayhem that can deepstrike, joy?
Reasons against: limited role, has to be close (24”) to use melta of dewm.)
Total: 500 pts exactly

Please note that some of these choices (the land speeder and tac squad) I already own. So the land speeder is more or less stuck there, the tactical squads weapons can change to have a flamer as it's special as well if you think it would be more appropriate)

The general tactic off course, is kind of hard to give formally both due to my inexperience with marines, deep strike armies and the game outside of my guardsmen getting serially murdered by tau firepower in two turns (a ha! That's why the hypocrites digging out his old marines!).

But, to me, as the drop pod rules mean that I can instantly drop the marines in first turn (to my interpretation, half of one rounded up is one no? :P ) to drop it between a good peice of cover and the enemy, leaning more towards plopping it down next to the opposition more. This is so that when I divide up my men into combat squads (sarge+melta in one, rocket in the other) my close combat group (sargeant) can get up close with reasonable speed and my ranged support can hopefully get into good cover (or even better, the central objective XD).

The scout squad I intend to use to hold down an objective early in the game and then use to pin infantry squads to the best of their abilities (btw, I chose camo cloaks over a teleport homer because of survivability and the scouts not needing to be as up close as the chaplin, is this a good move or should I swap?).

For the chaplin and land speeder it obviously relies alot more on arrival time. The chaplin is obviously there as a tough distraction, because there is not much which wants a WS5 terminator with power weapon attacking their units, much less so with re-rolls to hit. However, if he arrives earlier I would try to link him with my assault combat squad to grant them all the re-rolls and definitely give the enemy a unit to worry somewhat about.

The land speeder however, is obviously a vehicle hunter, able to deep strike into the rear armour of any vehicle that's advanced a decent amount off of the table edge with a multi melta, which could well take out an MBT (Leman russ for example) for only 60pts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:39 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

You might want Scout Bikes to make sure the drop pod deep strikes safely.

I don't know if you have enough points for them, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:12 pm 
Private
Private

Eh, not really, considering the only things on that list which are changable is the land speeder and the squads melta gun that leaves me 5pts short of the scout bike squadron and that doesn't include the locator beam.

But even then I do not feel it would be worth while as the drop pod is so accurate anyway. Though it would be useful for both chaplin and landspeeder at the same time I still do not see the need to spend 100 pts to create a fragile unit with a small 'safe zone' for my deep strikers.