Login |  Register |  FAQ

Scavvies Reworked

Post subject: Scavvies Reworked
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:56 am 
Recruit
Recruit

After playing a couple of games with the Scavvies my friends and I have agreed that they need some reworking.

I am busy with the new ruleset for them and wanted some feedback and help when it comes to wryd / psyker rules.

As part of the expanded mutations list (all from other players / sources on the interweb) I have added one of my own:

Wyrd Thyrd Eye (cost 40pts)
Possibly the rarest and strangest of all mutations. A scavvy with Wyrd Thyrd Eye rolls 1D6 to see which of these psyker powers he uses.

1 - Shadow Self: The pysker projects a shadow of himself. Anyone shooting at him receives -2 to-hit penalty during that round.
2 - Plague Siren: The pysker calls D3 Plague Zombies to his aid, they are placed within 2" of the psykers base.
3 - Healing Aura: The psyker may revive any fallen comrades within 6".
4 - Dum Dum: The psyker causes his target to suffer from 'Stupidity' during that round.
5 - Psyk Storm: A S5 psychic shooting attack using the large blast marker. Range 18".
6 - Warp Mutant: The psyker turns into an even more horrible creature gaining +1 to Strength, Toughness, Wounds and Attacks for the duration of the game. He causes terror and also suffers from the effects of Frenzy.

I must now work that into the game mechanics. I'm thinking that 1,2 and 6 are done "before" the movement phase - ie. at the beginning of the round. While 3,4 and 5 are done instead of shooting.

I would like feedback on:

1. The powers themselves - pretty random, and maybe overpowered - but since Scavvies don't get access to special or heavy weapons this might balance it out a little.
2. Using the powers - ie. the mechanics for casting - I was thinking along the lines of a leadership test - if its successful then the power works as stated, if not they must roll a save vs. a "perils of the warp" type of scenario.

Help is much appreciated. Once I have completed the rules I will make the whole thing available as a pdf open for comments and crit and reworking / balancing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:55 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I've never used Psykers so I can't comment on the mechanics of them.

2 - Plague Siren - If you allow a player to call up D3 Plague Zombies every turn that could well lead to that mutant going into Hiding the first turn and then just spamming up Plague Zombies for the rest of the game. Definitely one to look at closely.

3 - Healing Aura "revive any fallen comrade" what exactly do you mean by fallen? Can they auto make a friendly model recover from Down to Pinned? Remove any Flesh Wounds? From Down to Flesh Wound?

4 - Dum Dum - Possibly have the target make a Ld test with a modifier of the difference between their's and the mutant Ld scores, if they fail they become Stupid for a turn.

6 - Just seems to be massively more powerful than any of the others. Possibly +1WS, +1S, +1A and grants Frenzy is still very nice but more in line with the other powers. But I'd say it definitely needs changing.

Good to know there's more "tweakers" out there :)

Urosh Yal, an Orc Stronghold for Skyrim.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13940

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:29 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I agree with what scream said.

Why not just allow them one roll on the wyrd minor power table, and the option to roll again if they gain a skill? Those powers are pretty weak or situational so 40 points might be a little much. You could offset the potential to gain lots of powers by giving them an inflatted starting exp, say 40 + d6.

My2 cents