Login |  Register |  FAQ

Fully Automatic Bolt Pistol?

Post subject: Fully Automatic Bolt Pistol?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:33 pm 
Private
Private

Hi all,

Is it ever mentioned anywhere if fully automatic bolt pistols exist as regularly-manufactured weapons? I'm featuring one in a story I'm working on and I'm debating whether or not to make it a custom job/limited run or just a standard model? I understand that they would be rarer, but are they ever mentioned?

Thanks.

Peace out and God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:29 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Considering Bolt pistols commonly hold less than a dozen shots in a magazine it'd be very odd to commonly make them capable of full-auto fire, although burst firing is mentioned quite regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:03 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Just thinking of trying to hold that thing steddy as you fire makes my arm hurt.

form evrything I have read bolt Pistoles are not fully automatic since I think the basic one only holds 8-12 rounds making full auto fire impractical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:29 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

Each bolter round is a high-tech miniature missile, and bolt pistols are deadly because one round can turn an armored opponent to hamburger. I'd say smaller bolt weapons work primarily on the "one shot one kill" principle. Only after you get up to storm bolters and heavy bolters does volume of fire start to be a factor.

Of course some people do modify their semi-automatic pistols to fire full-auto, blowing a standard clip in about 1 second. (See YouTube for many examples.) I don't think it would be practical enough for a forgeworld to manufacture, but a TechPriest might create one with selectable rate of fire. 3-round burst might be more practical than full auto.