Login |  Register |  FAQ

Israeli-Style Army?

Post subject: Israeli-Style Army?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:44 pm 
Private
Private

Hello all,

If I wanted to make an IDF style army, which model range would be the best fit? I'm thinking Tallarns, making my army part of an Israel-esque ethnic group clustered in a hive city. Would this work, fluff-wise? I've never read any of the Tallarn novels. Can anyone give me a rundown on their city structure. I know they're either underground, domed, or in deep canyons, but other than that, nothing. Is the planet toxic or just a barren desert? I've heard that some Tallarn are Lawrence of Arabia-style nomads. Is this true?

Thanks.

Peace out and God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:20 pm 
Rogue-Psyker
Rogue-Psyker

What little Tallarn fluff knowledge I have, I posted in your previous Tallarn thread.

In terms of fluff, I think Cadians would be more similar than Tallarn. The entire Cadian population is conscripted into the military. The entire planet is always on alert for attack, since there are powerful enemies right on their doorstep. Israeli uniforms also look like modern fatigues and body armor, not desert tribesmen.

I guess my question would be... what do you see as the distinctive characteristics of the Israeli army? If I were building a force like this I might focus on Veteran Squads and tanks. I'd even build Leman Russes that have the distinctive ball-and-chain shot deflectors found on the turret bustle Merkava tanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:32 am 
Recruit
Recruit

I agree that Cadians would be, based on their militant structure. If you're wanting an Israeli feel, you need Tanks. Lots of Thanks. And snipers. And a play strategy that never takes a crap from anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:17 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

A mate of mine did this for his guard army in 2nd/3rd ed.

His Izra'n "volunteer" corps. He used cadian and Tallarn models, painted in what was contemporary Israeli colours for the time (he was in the IDF for about 8 years - as a Golani Ranger.

Lots of veterans (they had a horrendous casualty rate for certain regiments in the disputed zones - though not as bad as the other side) in transports, and tanks.

Post subject: Re: Israeli-Style Army?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:33 pm 
Cadet
Cadet

This is fascinating. One of the main things I love about 40K is the political satire, which was bigger in the 1990s but still applies today. Would (or should I say "did" - 5 years ago) you intend your regiment to be a parody of Israel or a tribute to it?