Login |  Register |  FAQ

Questions about the new Grey Knight codex...

Post subject: Questions about the new Grey Knight codex...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:22 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Since I have recently gotten back into the swing of things and caught up with what I missed in the past couple of years, I grimaced when I saw that the Daemonhunters/Witchhunters codex, while finally updated, is toast. Instead, everything is focused around the Grey Knights (with the Sisters of Battle getting a pseudo-official Codex within White Dwarf, apparently). My favorite part of 40K has (and might possibly always be) The Inquisition, which now seems to be a footnote in the possible army choices.

However, looking at the GK Codex, I noticed a bit of a way around this issue: taking special character Inquisitor Coteaz allows you to take Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands as Troops choices instead of Elites, and aren't limited to having to be semi-paired to an Inquisitor. While he's 100 points, severely limiting possible choices at smaller scale games...has anyone else considered doing something like this? I'll list the drawbacks I've encountered within the hypothetical list below, but keep in mind I don't play to be competitive, I play to have fun...I've found that the possibilities within Inquisition forces to be characterful and encouraging of conversions more than any other army, hence my draw to them.

Drawbacks, however, are plentiful:

-Without giving in to taking ACTUAL Grey Knights, this army is limited to HQ (named Inquisitors and unnamed Inquisitors), Elites (the assassins), Troops (the aforementioned henchmen) and MAYBE Heavy Support if Land Raiders are deemed okay for fluff. That's not a lot of wiggle room for variety.

-Aside from Jokaero Weaponsmiths using their digital weapons as lascannons, multimeltas, or heavy flamers, and servitors with heavy bolters, multimeltas, or plasma cannons...heavy weapons aren't in this force at all. Jokaero are crap in close comabt and servitors, without an Inquisitor to babysit them, are useless 50% of the time. That aside, that means no grenade launchers, no missile launchers, no autocannons...

-Nobody has any options to take frag grenades, so assaulting into cover is a suicidal idea.

Those limitations aside, I've seen some interesting or odd possibilities within the henchmen list:

-Warrior acolytes are cheap, but kitted out to resemble Inquisitorial Stormtroopers of Olde (minus the better BS and WS), they can be quite expensive. I think I worked up lists of 10 that wound up being 150 pts with plasma/carapace kits, hotshot lasguns for everyone else not wielding a plasma weapon. They'd be cheaper to have lasguns and represent inducted Guardsmen instead, but they only get HS Lasgun/Bolter/Storm Bolter as their non-special weapon swaps...

-Unlike the last versions of the codex, the 3-12 restriction for taking units isn't limited to taking only 3 of any model type. That opens up some odd possibilities like 120 pts for 12 Servitors with heavy bolters as a TROOPS choice...slap a cheap Inquisitor with them, find an objective, and crank out 36 Heavy Bolter shots while sitting on it...or shoot something guarding an objective and have someone else handle it.

-Not sure how the rules for taking allies are in this edition of 40K (I remember it was the encouragement to take small doses of Witch/Daemonhunters to supplement an existing Guard or Marine army in order to gradually build up a full force), as taking parts of a second army could help fill in the shortfalls this force seems to present initially. I'll peruse the rules more to see if it's clear on that point or not.

Before I get too deep into making a fleshed-out list, I'm just curious as to opinions on this odd option. Has anyone considered it? Anyone see any light at the end of the tunnel for this army that I fear may be doomed from the start (but would still have fun with it anyway)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:49 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

i pay against GKs regulary as my friend uses them. however his list is on the otherend of the scale and probably the way everybody else uses it. its just full of terminators armed to the teeth. oh man its a tough army, borderline cheating if you ask me. a 800 point 10 man paladin squad is stupid at best. what you have come up with is a good idea to use the codex without going all cheap on the game. i love the sound of all those heavy bolters too :D instead of land raiders ill use the gunships for transport too as the landies seem a little out of place. you may want a techmarine or 2 aswell to aid you a little as thier orbital strikes can help with the heavy weapon shortage. another good unit is the snipers. my friends took out 2 of my landraiders in 2 turns using the 4d6 arm pen shot :/ i think with a few of these models you will still have a game winning team but still have a fun unique force

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:52 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

When you say sniper, are you referring to the Vindicaire Assassin? I actually took one once back in the day...lost him in turn 1 to a prelim bombardment from Cities of Death...never took a single shot and I lost 145 pts right there, I was not a happy camper, lol.

The stormraven might still be too "Grey Knight-y" to use...I figure any vehicle with The Aegis rule is a GK thing...which also kills the idea of a LR as well, darn. Last Codex those things could be taken as transports for an Inquisitor, but since they can't in this one...

The techmarine is, I guess, also technically a Space Marine/Grey Knight, so might break the rule as well. :-/ Personally I'm really annoyed by the inclusion of techmarines and librarians to the GK list, partly because EVERY GK is a psyker, but partly because the techmarine description has him off training at Mars like the rest of them...despite that previous fluff has indicated that almost NOBODY knows that the Grey Knights even EXIST. Sooooo...

I checked the rulebook...nothing. Apocalypse has the Allies Matrix, which I *could* use, but it was intended more for that large scale stuff, I guess. I guess it'll depend on my opponent(s)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

yeh i think thats the sniper i was talking about. yeh he is a risk but if placed well he can do the damage. without lending my mates codex i cant really comment too much on the subject really. i thought ill help as most people here still play 2nd edition (i call it living in the past :P)
next time i get chance ill have a look. but i do see what you mean about those techmarines too :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I put him on the top floor of the highest building in the center of a CoD map, figuring that would give him plenty of opportunities to fire at my opponent's Orks...yeah, not so much, lol.

I started 40K about midway through 4th, never did play 5th before I stopped playing. The potential group hasn't ever played before so it'll be an interesting experience. I don't think I would've been near old enough when 2nd edition came out! :D

Speaking of, where ARE all of the people that used to post on here back in the day? It feels like a ghost town here now...back a couple of years ago it was non-stop chatter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

It looks like <a href="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5548861#post5548861">I wasn't the only one who noticed and favored this idea</a>. I might have to consider this list a bit.

I meant to publish my own concocted formulas for Inquisitorial troops on here, but keep leaving my notepad out in the car. I'll have to remember to grab it out of there soon!