Login |  Register |  FAQ

Deathwatch Marines

Post subject: Deathwatch Marines
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:42 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

In a lot I won on eBay, I acquired a handful of models with the DW shoulderpads and bolters (they're not fully painted so I can still do what I want with them), and wondered if anyone had any idea on how I can *use* them in a game of 40K?

I have the old rules from one of the Chapter Approved books, but it's horribly outdated (it makes references to using a wargear list to kit out the Captain). I received a Captain, 2 Heavy Bolter models, and 5 models with boltguns (well, 2 are missing, I've ordered replacements). I thought about merely using them as a Captain + Honor Guard, but heavy weapons aren't allowed. My only other recourse would be to water them down as a Devastator squad that's oddly kitted out with only 2/4 heavy weapon choices...

So, any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:29 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

they may work in a grey knight army as the troops can carry many heavy guns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sadly, apparently Grey Knights don't know how to use heavy bolters since they have those other fancy new weapons. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:53 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

oh yeh i know. but i didnt mean use them as them, use them as psy-cannons or whatever they use/cheat with. its a tricky one really. that was my best shot because squads (unless devistator) just dont support those models

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I did find somewhere else that the best use of the old DW models would be as a Sternguard squad, as they can take multiple heavy weapons and get kitted out with a variety of other weapons...PLUS their rules account for specalized ammunition.

But in any case, squevil, I appreciate your input, seeing as how you're about the only one I get any from!

As it stands right now, I think I have something like 1516 points worth of SM (for which I paid under $100 for), but it's not quite "legal", as I have like 7 Troops and NO HQ choices, lol. The DW will be an Elites choice as Sternguard, and the Predator will fill out a Heavy Support slot. Not guaranteeing that it'll be a competitive list either (as the sole vehicle I have ISN'T a transport), but it'll be a good start from a modelling perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:51 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

id love to see some pictures :)

sadly not many lurkers play latest editions and i dont really have the time for older ones. i like the way the game plays and i play 40k the most. im not your usual know it all nerdy type but ill try and add some input or help if i can. under 100 is good too. you're lucky to get a few units for that these days. i want 20 more immortals but thats over £40 or about $65

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:44 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

True, but no matter what edition you play (or what game you play), people could always comment in the hobby threads. This forum used to be very much alive back in the day, now it seems like only the Necromunda, RT/2nd Ed, and Deadlands sections ever get any traffic from more than a few people.

I'll probably have to open up a twin thread over at Warseer (ugh) to get my questions answered. I might even use my blogspot account to do updates too, lol.

Alrighty, I'll probably stop updating this thread since the question was answered, lol, and return to updating the hobby ones. ;)