Login |  Register |  FAQ

6th edition

Post subject: 6th edition
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:28 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

anybody here playing 6th edition 40k? i like the new rules quite a lot. after only playing 1 game i though i felt the game was heading in the right direction. hull points do tend to wreck vehicles more. i thought hull points would ruin the game but it wasnt so bad. combat and shoot is more realistic. more so with being able to move and shoot heavy weapons now, but if you do move you can only fire a snap shot at BS 1.
does anybody else here have any thoughts on 6th edition. i know most people who frequent this fine forum are fans of 2nd edition and are die hard 2nd edition players. but if anybody does dabble in the latest release please share your views.

Post subject: Re: 6th edition
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:10 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

I am one of those die hard 2ed players, but I am quite curious about 6th edition..n I do not intendo to begin playing with those toyish flying machines and robots, but maybe the rules are worth considering...

Truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination
---Elim Garak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

It depends, what did they do different to the rules now that would inspire me to buy them?

How is hand to hand dealt with?

What about grenades?

Did they simplify it even more then they already have?

McCragge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

the game was made more complex. h2h is played the same as in 5 edition pretty much. only pile in moves have changed and you pile in and init stages instead and wounds are allocated to the people you hit. but more importantly you can now set challenges to other characters, you can even get a bonus if your other models in the unit are not fighting by cheering your leader on in the fight. another big change is overwatch, now you are all familiar with the term and it is similar. you use overwatch when you are assaulted. when charged you can fire overwatch shots as if they are snap shots. usually you can fire templates or blast markers while making a snap shot, however when in overwatch you can fire flamers and still torch the enemy. i had nice pictures of my sisters army actually getting to use heavy flamers now! but for 40 points they do not seem worth it... maybe ill try them now though as SoB have crappy h2h capabilities.
power weapons do not strait up negate armor now, all weapons have an AC value and have different abilities. for instance;

power sword is AP 3 melee

power axe is AP 1 str +2 and it strikes last

there are many more and again when new codex come out they will add more.

grenades can now be thrown too! they all have a 8" range and their abilities vary. what the game is lacking right now is up to date codex (plural?). im sure as they come out more grenades will pop up.

darkweaver dont be put off by the new flyers, they have suitable rules to accompany them now. you can now do bombing runs and have limited ammo on those bombs. they are tough to hit too and you need the sky fire special rule to really harm them. luckily you can now battlements that can include icarus lascanons and quad guns and they can do the flyers some harm.

im playing again on wednesday, ill bring more feedback then too. im still just really learning it all again now so im not 100% sure on everything (i never was before though!)

i think the new boxset will be dark angels and chaos but its only rumors right now. they are on the cover of the rules so maybe thats what sparked the rumors. both codex were out of date before and now they are really lacking. many HQ units are quite weak right now as thier old power swords have become blunt. speaking of which i better check the FAQ for dark angels because azreal's sword of secrets shouldnt be AP 3!

i do think this version will appeal more to old 2nd edition players and as it blends in a lot of fantasy aspects it may pull some of that crowd to give it a go as they will be more familiar now with some of the concepts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:38 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Thanks! :)

My issues about 3+ editions is mainly on the scale of the game. I strongly prefer big skirmishes to full scale battles (for those there's Epic! :) ) but I keep an open mind.. altough I have to say that nowadays GW is put a pale shadow of what used to be back when I met 40K for the first time.

Anyway, don't wanna go OT nor start a flame on GW rules and policy! Please, if yoou like we could keep this topic open for "first impressions" and analysis about the new rule set. I think it could be quite useful for all those who are still pondering about what to do! :)

---Elim Garak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:40 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Greetings one and all.

I'm still stuck in Afghansitan with the army for the next few months so sadly I haven't been able to give sixth edition a go yet! However from what I have read and anecdotal evidence from mates it seems like GW is making a move back to the glory days of the past.

Close Combat weapons with variable abilities... Check
Reducing the amount of weapons that render armour useless... Check
A more in depth and realistic vehicle system... Check
Terrain that interacts with the models and shapes the battle... Check
Return of psychic cards... Check
Overwatch is back (albeit slightly modified)... Check

God it sounds like GW have been listening to what we have been saying for the passed ten years! I only hope it lives up to my expectations when I return!!

J

My Retro 40k blog can be found at the link above - Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Thanks Legiocustodes. That's exaclty why I was so curious about 6ed! After the awful experience of 3ed we reverted back to 2ed and never felt the need to even glance to 4ed and 5ed.. but the rumors about 6ed are a bit more interesting. As told, I don't think I will never begin playing with the tons of minis, robots, planes, titans and gubbinz that form 40K today, but maybe the new rules can be toned down to a skirmish level and allow us some different experience.

And good luck for your time in Afghanistan!

---Elim Garak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:18 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

why do you like small armies though? is it a money thing or do you just prefer smaller armies? i love having a large force on my table, i want a bigger table so i can have bigger armies. sometimes i do want only 2 or 3 unit games but most of the time i want to get the big guns out and have a bloody good royal rumble.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:22 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

I just prefer skirmish-level battles. I think that in 28mm the "right population" should be 20-30 models per side plus a couple of vehicles or so, with rules kept at a sufficient lelev of detail. For bigger battles I prefer Epic where I can field a "real" army.. :)
Also, it's a matter of painting and buying stuff.. I don't have the money to buy, and the time to build so many models.. nor the time to set up such big battles.
And a matter of being nostalgic too..! :) :-)

---Elim Garak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

i would love to have a few epic armies to have full scale wars. you could put battlefleet on one half of the table too and have full planet strike battles for ultra epic battles!
my deathwing army only has 20 or 30 models in it and thats about 2000 points. not all games need a 100+ models. you can do imperial tank runs too. but it all depends on what you are into at the end of the day.

well i have played 2 more games tonight and im really enjoying the new rules. they make you think more about placing individual models and shooting snap shots and over watch means putting heavy weapons in units more valuable. before i didnt add rockets or heavy bolters to tactical squads but now they get to fire much more. i give a big thumbs up to GW for a change, they did good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Its all about different styles of play. Sometimes its nice to play a big game with lots of models, however I find in these games individual models make no real difference, they just end up as wound markers for the squad itself, which is fine.

However in a skirmish game, particluarly one where there is a good scenario, and the models all have there own stats then things become much more personal, each guy makes a difference and as such they seem to be a real individual as opposed to a nameless automaton. This is something Rogue Trader and 2nd Ed did really well...they weren't great for competitive play, but for telling a story with your models it was pretty good back then.

Hopefully 6th Ed will be sufficiently flexible to cater for both outlooks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:18 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Hmmm it doesnt do that really. each model still feels like a wound marker. if i want to play something with an individual feel then i would play necromunda.
some of you second edition guys should do a 6th edition battle report. im sure you can 'borrow' the rules by now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:18 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Dude,

I would love to do a battle report, but sadly I'm living in one right now. Its like being in the longest, shittest 40k game ever!!

:-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

well when you are back you will have to have more friendly battles in the comfort of your own home.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Darkweaver wrote:
n I do not intendo to begin playing with those toyish flying machines and robots...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 to that.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/wfbfgu/index.php?act=idx