Sons of Orar Army list - kinda new to 40k, need help/advice

Post subject: Sons of Orar Army list - kinda new to 40k, need help/advice
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:27 am 
Gunner
Gunner

Sons of Orar (Space Marines) 980pts
HQ
Space Marine Chaplain (115) WS5•BS4•S4•T4•W2•I4•A2•Ld10•Sv3+
Power Armour; Boltgun; Crozius Arcanum; Rosarius; Frag & Krak grenades; Jump Pack.
Combat Tactics; Independent Character; Liturgies Of Battle; Honour Of The Chapter.

Elites

Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought (240) WS5•BS4•S7•AF13•AS12•AR11•I4•A2
Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon (Storm Bolter); Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon; Smoke Launchers; Extra Armour; Carapace Mounted Cycloneb Missile Launcher.
Automatic Shielding; Fleet.
5 Sternguard Veteran Squad (155) WS4•BS4•S4•T4•W1•I4•A2•Ld9•Sv3+
Power Armour; 4× Boltgun; Combi- Melta/Flamer/Plasma; Bolt Pistol; Special issue ammunition; Frag & Krak grenades.
Space Marine Sergeant WS4•BS4•S4•T4•W1•I4•A2•Ld9•Sv3+
Power Armour; Power fist; Boltgun; Frag & Krak grenades; Special issue ammunition.

Troops

Tactical Squad (125) WS4•BS4•S4•T4•W1•I4•A1•Ld8•Sv3+
Power Armour; Bolt Pistol; Boltgun; Missile Launcher; Flamer. And They Shall Known No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; .
Power Armour; Bolt Pistol; Boltgun; Frag & Krak grenades.
• Rhino BS4•AF11•AS11•AR10• Storm Bolter; Smoke Launchers; Searchlight.
Repair; (Transports 10.)

Tactical Squad (120) WS4•BS4•S4•T4•W1•I4•A1•Ld8•Sv3+
Power Armour; Bolt Pistol; Boltgun; Missile Launcher; Melta-gun. And They Shall Known No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; .
Power Armour; Bolt Pistol; Power fist; Frag & Krak grenades.

5 Scout Squad (85) WS3•BS3•S4•T4•W1•I4•A1•Ld8•Sv4+
Scout Armour; Bolt Pistol; 5× Boltgun; Heavy Bolter(Hellfire shells).
And They Shall Know No Fear; Combat Squads; Combat Tactics; Infiltrate; Move Through Cover; Scouts.
Scout Sergeant WS4•BS4•S4•T4•W1•I4•A2•Ld9•Sv4+
Scout Armour; Bolt Pistol; Boltgun; Frag & Krak grenades.

Fast Attack

5 Assault Squad (140) WS4•BS4•S4•T4•W1•I4•A1•Ld8•Sv3+ Power Armour; Chainsword; Bolt Pistol; Flamer.
Space Marine Sergeant WS4•BS4•S4•T4•W1•I4•A2•Ld9•Sv3+ Power Armour; Thunder Hammer; Bolt Pistol; Frag & Krak grenades; Jump pack.

That's the list so far, and is based around the models I have ordered/bought/thinking of ordering

My group of friends is also cool with me using forge world models & rules hence the contemplater dread,(if you guys don't have one... Get on they look awesome rules wise)

Any advice/criticisms please voice them, I'll mainly be playing Orks and IG, but sometimes chaos and marines

Post subject: Re: Sons of Orar Army list - kinda new to 40k, need help/adv
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:02 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

Whoops, just noticed i hadnt changed the costings for tac squads on the program i used, ill upload a updated list somtime tommoro

Post subject: Re: Sons of Orar Army list - kinda new to 40k, need help/adv
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:14 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I know this is an old thread but I haven't been around for a while so I thought I would give my two cents worth....

Chaplain; lose the boltgun; he has a jump pack and is a close combat monster so give him a bolt pistol for that WS5 power weapon attack. If you fancy a bit of snooty punch then give him a plasma pistol; but I always roll 1s to hit and end up losing a wound!

Sternguard are okay; but I prefer assault termies...nothing like a 3+ Inv save to upset your opponents best laid plans. Stick a few lightening claws at the back for extra splashy death.

Rhino up the second tactical squad! Or split it in to two combat squads and fork out for a razorback, those lascannons can be handy.

Scout squad; meh; I've got twenty and they usually let me down. However one thing I have found effective is giving their veteran sgt a power fist or power weapon/melta bomb combo and using the scouts outflank special rule to wander on in my opponents set up zone as reserves. Instant line breaker; also when playing against guard it saddens them greatly to having a dude with a power fist and some blokes with krak grenades smacking up his tanks! Try and time this with the appearance of your assault squad in order to fluster your opponent and make him choose who he shoots.

Fast Attack... You want to make that a ten man assault squad; five men (even Astartes) can die pretty quickly as they hurdle across the battlefield! You want to make sure enough survive to make an impact! Stick the Chaplain with them so be can bolster their assault and also use them as a meat shield!

Heavy Support: I have three Devastator Squads; three predators; a land raider and a whirlwind....I can't field them all at once (unless it's apocalypse) but I love the choice. The moral of the Story is you can never have too much firepower to cut down those baddies!

My Retro 40k blog can be found at the link above - Enjoy!