Login |  Register |  FAQ

Trying to complete space wolves chapter

Post subject: Trying to complete space wolves chapter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:51 am 
Private
Private

Ok, so this isn't bad for having been out of the game over a decade. Starting from scratch (lost all my minis :( ) I had picked up the battle for mccragge and a space wolves battle force (plus was given a leman russ tank which I converted to an exterminator which was in the codex at the time) probably a good 8+ years ago and have only recently (since July) been adding and this is where I'm at now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/051wtsl39ioc20m/Wolves%20total.jpg
*I've not figured out how to put the image directly into the post :(

Starting from the front, I have:
1 squad x10 scouts
3 squads x10 grey hunters
1 rhino
2 squads x10 blood claws
1 squad x10 swift claws
2 squads x10 sky claws
4 squads x5 long fangs
1 squad x10 wolf guard terminators
1 squad x5 wolf guard terminators
1 leman russ exterminator
1 converted wolf priest, wolf lord in terminator armor, converted ragnar blackmane, converted iron priest, and converted battle leader
1 landspeeder
3 dreadnoughts and bjorn

So I've nearly got Ragnar's Great company complete (with extras) the plan is 100 troops per great company for about 1200 total minis (about the size of a chapter) and from what I understand of the space wolf army, each great company is basically a complete battle force.

With this in mind I've set to put together a legal play army list of the complete company limiting to 100 troops not including HQ and trying to go with Ragnar's personality of being a reckless hand to hand fanatic.
So for Ragnar's force I've got:
Elite:
10 wolf scouts
Troops:
2 x10 blood claws
2 x10 grey hunters
Fast attack:
2 x10 sky claws
1 x10 swift claws
Heavy support:
1 x5 long fangs

So I'm thinking to finish it up going with 10 close combat terminators and 5 thunderwolf cavalry. The rest of the elites and heavy support will be filled with vehicles and dreadnought (which I don't count towards troop number)

Problem is, even on ebay terminators and especially TWC these are very pricey.

What are your thoughts, opinion and suggestions on finishing up Ragnar's company?
(I'll be working on Logan Grimnar's company next)

Post subject: Re: Trying to complete space wolves chapter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:43 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I only want to ask, why you need so many?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:25 pm 
Private
Private

My eventual goal is to build the complete space wolves chapter (maybe even including the lost 13th great company...)
But I want to make sure each great company is logically functional as an army on it's own (as the impression I get from what I've read)

Originally the idea was to just simply grab a squad for every pack marking shown in the 5th ed codex, but when I counted up the minis, that was waaaayyyyyy over chapter limit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Well good luck buying and painting them all. Do you intend to actually play with them? Im usually happy with about a 5k army :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:25 pm 
Private
Private

That would be an awesome week-long game. I don't think my GF would go for it though

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:52 am 
Private
Private

I had actually intended to have them all painted before taking pics, but that's another reason for the advice as I want to be sure of which pack and company markings I'll be painting on them. You might be able to see I started a couple of the blood claws, unfortunately my brush isn't any good and I was going to pick up new brushes this weekend. Unfortunately issues with paycheck has delayed that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have never seen space wolves before, I never play in stores so I see what my mates have and none have wolves. In fact im the only person with a full marine army (DA).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:50 pm 
Private
Private

Each troop type has a selection of pack markings which, when looking at the model, go on the left shoulder pad. Then on the right shoulder pad goes the symbol for the great company they belong to.

Since I'll probably be repeating some pack markings since there are a limited number in the codex (for example, there's only 7 different pack markings for scouts) many will be repeated in different companies, but not repeated in the same company.

Plus I'll need to know what squads I have are going to be in what companies for painting the right shoulder pad.

Therefore, I pretty much need to have the army list set for a company before I paint any markings on the models

For the first company I'll be completing it looks as though I'll have 2 force organization charts

Chart 1:
HQ: Ragnar, battle leader (company standard), Wolf priest (apothecary), rune priest (librarian)
Elite: 1 dreadnought, 10 scouts, 10 close combat terminators
Troops: 2x10 blood claws each w/rhino (1 less WS and BS than standard troop but have more attacks in CC)
Fast Attack: 2x10 jump packs, 10 bikes (with 1 attack bike)
Heavy support: thinking about 2 land raiders and a whirlwind

Chart 2:
HQ: Wolf lord
Elite: 2 dreadnoughts and an Iron priest (techmarine)
Troops: 2x10 grey hunters (standard troops)
Fast attack: 5 thunderwolf cavalry, 3 land speeder squadron, 10 fenrisian wolves (pet dogs :D )
Heavy support: 5 Long fangs (devastator squad), 2 other tanks (maybe predator and/or vindicator)

I think that gives me a pretty fast moving but decent balanced army while still keeping with the close combat theme and still keeps me at 100 space marine models. However, I've not played since 3rd edition first came out (mostly played 2nd) so I'm not sure if maybe I should switch some things out or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:11 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

In the painting section here there are some space wolves. They come from an old post, but you should go check them out, they were amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:56 am 
Private
Private

are you talking about the chaos-wolves?
The guy is pretty amazing with colors, realism and detail, but then he hides it all behind gallons of blood :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Yeah those, I liked the gore. Thats how they would look. Space wolves in general would be quite a mess during battle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:41 am 
Private
Private

Yeah, my first go-around with warhammer I did the blood thing as well (played dwarves for fantasy and spacewolves for 40k) but I stopped when the detail in one of my beautifully painted characters (I believe it was the dwarf high king) was washed out with blood :(
That wasn't the only model, it was just the one that upset me the most.

I know in the heat of battle people aren't going to be cleaning off their weapons and armor, but then these are only miniatures in simulated combat. They aren't actually blowing craters in your tabletop lol.

I'm undecided if I will try to add just a hint of blood or not, but I still have a ways to go before I even have to worry about that. I still need to finish the army list which I'm considering replacing 2 of the dreads with lone wolves (even though that would put me over the 100 troop limit, 2 models isn't a big deal) Then I also forgot about the flyers they've added to the game so I'll either need a flyer, or some kind of anti-air. That part could probably wait till the new codex (whenever that is) and see what they add to the wolves for that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I stopped adding blood years ago, its something most new players do. The only models I may do it for are the flayed ones I have had waiting to be painted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:34 pm 
Private
Private

Speaking of painting :) I stopped at the local craft store on my way home and grabbed some new brushes so I might be able to get some painting done this weekend :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:08 am 
Private
Private

Well I won't be painting today. I planned on starting yesterday but company stopped by unexpectedly. So I had planned on getting the base color on my blood claws done.
Saw a problem though, I had planned on simply base coating the minis with the grey I wanted their armor, than washing and highlighting. (I suck at trying to match colors and I want the armor on the whole army to match.)

Anyways, Maybe I just got a bad can of spray or something (it was krylon which has always been good before) but the paint came out what looked to be chalky and I figured I could smooth it out with washes and highlights, but when looking at the mini under the magnifier I saw that the paint had left pot marks. The whole mini looked like the surface of the moon. Not only that but a lot of the fine detail was filled in just enough to make trying to paint a PITA (which you really couldn't tell the detail was washed out from a distance).

So, next pay I'll be buying a new can of spray and a big jug of simple green.

In the meantime, I'm still hoping for input on the army I've put together above so if anyone plays space marines (of any chapter really) what would your changes be if any? Do you think it could hold it's own against another army?