Login |  Register |  FAQ

A little Contest for the members

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:40 am 
Enforcer

hmm, yes. The microbutton is the tricky one. It scales fine to the other two.

I'll see how it turns out. Maybe a clipped version will work for the micro button. Maybe not, either way it's not a waste of time. I need the practice for work.

Edit:

Ok I'm really not happy at all with the Button, it's just a temp place holder thing until I find a suitable new font I can use that scales down (The words Eastern Fringe was unreadable with the font I'm currently using.) The font will also be changed once I find something better.

If anyone knows of a more suited font, please link me up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:37 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

How set are you on keeping the "green feel" that you have going on here? I know that sometimes it's a fair bit of work to re-do your phpBB templates, depending on how you have them set up. Is that something you're considering, or would you prefer to keep the same general tone?

Cheers,
Monsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:28 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Monsh wrote:
How set are you on keeping the "green feel" that you have going on here? I know that sometimes it's a fair bit of work to re-do your phpBB templates, depending on how you have them set up. Is that something you're considering, or would you prefer to keep the same general tone?

We are not at all set on keeping the green feel. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Fen incorporated it into his fine offerings. McCragge was just talking to me the other day about making an additional theme available for the forum that used a completely different color scheme.

We just want to see what people can come up with. Please don't limit your creativity or inspiration to our current color scheme. The banners could have a 40K, Necromunda, gaming, science fiction, or any of dozens of different themes or inspirations to them. We are wide open.

Having said all that, if you DO want some inspiration then consider that Necromunda is currently the Eastern Fringe's main claim to fame. Another theme that seems very workable is some kind of space/sci-fi them (40K inspired or not) to go with the Eastern Fringe concept.

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:39 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

Truckler wrote:
[ McCragge was just talking to me the other day about making an additional theme available for the forum that used a completely different color scheme.
Did this conversation look anything like the Gollum/ Smeagol conversation in Lord of the Rings by any chance?

That looks really cool Fen, hats off to you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:16 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Smeagol? Lord of the Rings? Did I miss something? I don't get it. :-o

Yes, great work Fen. I was waiting to reply to your most recent offerings until others had replied, or maybe even been inspired enough to post their own contributions. :eek:

I really like what you have so far Fen. Don't feel restricted to a Necromunda type font. I think the font you have now is very close to some of the fonts in the new Necromunda rulebooks and whatnot. But to me, it seems a bit hard to read. The button image is especially tricky. I think that even a plain old "Arial Black" or "Arial Bold" type font would be better, just for the sake of legability. No sense having such a cool image and then people not immediately being able to know its the Eastern Fringe.

I'm not sure where you got the image of the city/hive spire from, but its pretty cool. How did you make the figure? Is it an actual person that you blacked out or just a shape that you made?

Truckler (I still can't wait for Yarlen's entry. When will it arrive I wonder?)

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:57 pm 
Enforcer

Truckler wrote:
I'm not sure where you got the image of the city/hive spire from, but its pretty cool.

It's scratch build from about 40ish images of buildings, pipes, pencils, pens, cannisters, barrels etc etc. I forgot to save the separate city before I blended it onto the landscape. :-(

Quote:
How did you make the figure? Is it an actual person that you blacked out or just a shape that you made?

It's part of the art I do (well photographic manipulation for portraits. You know, the stencil type image/pictures with little detail and a lot of suggestion) I work in blacks and whites normally. So I had a spare cloaked figure kicking around and I felt he'd fit in, I did go hunting for a pointing figure, but I couldn't find any in suitable garb.

Sadly, I can't work back to the original image (which was in colour and looked very Star Wars in style) as I've lost the layered image and I've only got the monochromatic master.

And I agree very much on the font, but I've left those as a seperate layer and I can still alter them at any time. I just need to find something that has an industrial future feel to is and is more legiable. I'm open to suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:33 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Ditto everything Truckler said

shiver85 wrote:
Truckler wrote:
[ McCragge was just talking to me the other day about making an additional theme available for the forum that used a completely different color scheme.
Did this conversation look anything like the Gollum/ Smeagol conversation in Lord of the Rings by any chance?

And yes it did, well from a bystanders point of view. From mine it was more like fight club, except it was my turn to put the gun in my mouth.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:09 pm 
Gunner
Gunner

fen wrote:

Well done! I like that. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:44 am 
Graveyard Disciple

Here is my offering:

Along with it, I would suggest some content changes, in order to draw that lucrative dollar from more diverse markets. Rename Off-Topic "Rap Music," open an in-forum store that sells diamond studded tooth bling and 1000$ rims for Ford Novas and Toyota Corrolas.

On a more serious note, a HotH themed board as an option would just be killer. I'm already getting a hard-on from all the nostalgia alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:45 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Waaaargh Grimjaw wrote:
a HotH themed board as an option would just be killer.

That might just be possible!

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:05 am 
Anthony Case

Well here's my effort. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:22 am 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

i really like your "effort" ant (modesty ceases to be a virtue when its not sincere :P ). my one and only criticism is that none of those pics are necromunda based, which seems to me like putting a VW logo on a aston martin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:04 am 
Anthony Case

Better Shiver?

//edit
Better version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:00 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I love these banners. However, the miniatures used aren't EF exclusive. Which I would rather have. But otherwise I do like the look.

McCragge