Login |  Register |  FAQ

A little Contest for the members

Post subject: A little Contest for the members
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:52 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Truckler and I would like to invite you to a little contest we are having.

What we want you to do is design a new Eastern Fringe Logo! That's right, we want you to bust out your best computer graphic skills and come up with the next best EF logo that will blow ours and everyone else's minds!

So, what are the rules? Simple, first we want three graphics, one that will replace our over all header graphic, a standard sized banner ad and one micro button. All three graphics should contain the same logo.

What we are looking for is something to do with Sci-Fi wargaming. So keep that in mind when you create your graphics.

Dimensions:

Overall Header = 650 x 150
Banner = 460 x 55
Micro Button = 88 x 31

Submit your work here in this thread and when all submissions are in we will post them for people to vote on.

The winning graphic will be used as the new Eastern Fringe Logo which we will then start branding all over the web!

McCragge

Last edited by McCragge on Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:56 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Shame i don't know anything about computer graphics, otherwise i'd pwn it like i pwned everyones scores in the Games section.

Yeah that's right (&#$@!) you heard me :chaos

Fen gave me a good run in WRX though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:06 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

That can be rectified.
I'll bring you a copy of Photoshop, Illustrator, and all the tutorials you'll need. :P

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:22 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Sheesh, good one Mccragge now look what you made me do!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:44 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Yarlen Fireblade wrote:
Shame i don't know anything about computer graphics, otherwise i'd pwn it like i pwned everyones scores in the Games section.

RobbieBuckshotLaFunk wrote:
That can be rectified.
I'll bring you a copy of Photoshop, Illustrator, and all the tutorials you'll need. :P

Wow Yarlen, it seems like Robbie has got your back on this one. :D

But I think you will have to hurry, you've got to first master the software and then bring your inspired ideas to life. What about other forum members that already have mad computer illustration skills? Aren't you a little intimidated by them?

Truckler

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:35 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Not particularly, it comes down to how people spend their free time, and i doubt there is any member on this forum that has more free time than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:54 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Here is an attempt. Open to changes.

“Take a squiz at dis beauti! is got both front an bak weehilz, handle barz with both your left and rite turnin funksion, all da rage dezz dayz! and ta kap it all off a bran noo red paint job, kurtacy of da stoopid beeky who gotz himself caught in da front wheel dat last battil!…so let me fix ya up with da dok so ya can take a squiz at our payment planz”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:42 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Excellent start Nox, but don't forget that it is a set of three. So, we need the banner ad size and the micro button size too.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:49 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Yeah I know about the other 2 things.

I am just trying out different things. It is hard you know as "eastern" and "fringe" aren’t tangible items, they are concepts and so it is hard to picture a "look" for them.

What do “eastern” and “fringe” look like?

“Take a squiz at dis beauti! is got both front an bak weehilz, handle barz with both your left and rite turnin funksion, all da rage dezz dayz! and ta kap it all off a bran noo red paint job, kurtacy of da stoopid beeky who gotz himself caught in da front wheel dat last battil!…so let me fix ya up with da dok so ya can take a squiz at our payment planz”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:15 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Well, what is the Eastern Fringe in the Warhammer 40K fluff context? That was what Truckler and I had in mind when we came up with that name. A gaming website on the edge of known space outside of any Imperial jurisdiction so to speak. A place where Rogue Traders could thrive without worry of Imperial intangelments. Infact, two unknown races have made their presence known from the Eastern Fringes of space as well. Both the Tau and the Tyranids originate from this area. However we aren't looking for race specific either. Hope that helps some.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:29 am 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Nox, great work on these initial banners. The red and yellow striping on the letters is a cool looking effect. I think the zodiac elements in the first banner are really interesting. I'm not sure what McCragge's astrological sign is, but I could easily see him being a Scorpio (cuz he's tricky I tell you, tricky). You have to watch yourself around him or he'll strike you with his poisonous tail and then scuttle under a rock. Though given McCragge's um... deep apprehension about fortune telling and astrology maybe the zodiac thing wouldn't be his first choice. For my part however, I think that a banner with one or more evil looking zodiac creatures would be really cool. Heck, maybe you could have an evil scorpion with vicious claws and McCragge's face on it!?! :eek:

The second banner has a different background altogether. It looks like it has some kind of technical drawing in the background. Its like the Eastern Fringe meets the US Patent Office or something. What are those weird pointed cylinder things anyway? It makes me realize that you can just go some many different directions with a banner like this. Where does one start?

McCragge wrote:
Well, what is the Eastern Fringe in the Warhammer 40K fluff context? That was what Truckler and I had in mind when we came up with that name.

I agree with McCragges previous comments about the Eastern Fringe in relation to 40K. But I don't think that it has to be that limited. In fact, when we chose EasternFringe.com we both appreciated the open ended nature of the name. (Truly I wanted TrucklersNecromundaEmporium.com or TrucklerCanDateMySister.com, but McCragge wasn't so keen on either of those names.)

Eastern could refer to a specific direction, "East of Eden" say. Or it could be used in a more generic sense to imply that one has to travel or journey to get to the EF, thus indicating that the Eastern Fringe is a destination worth going to. Eastern could have cultural connotations. For instance, the "East vs. West" battle of civilizations as some commentators now describe the world's geo-political situation. Then again the Cold War also had distinctive Eastern and Western factions. What about a more narrowly coded meaning, say the East and West sides of London? Or what about the Eastern seaboard of the United States? The east coast of the US is often associated with having deeper "roots" than the center of the country or the romanticized youthfulness of the newer western states. So in that sense maybe Eastern refers to a sense of tradition and groundedness, as if to say that the EF has been around for a while and isn't going away.

Fringe is more straight forward, its the edge of something, the limit, the outer boundary. It could even mean something outside the norm, something off the beaten path or beyond accepted boundaries. Naturally this is fitting enough since we value our independence and sort of "outsider" status. Yep, McCragge, Truckler and the other members of the Eastern Fringe are a bunch of free thinking mavericks. Well, that's what I tell myself anyway. 8)

So the 40K meaning of Eastern Fringe is certainly a possibility (and probably a good one), I wouldn't say that its the only way to go. I am totally open to explore any avenue that somebody wants to throw out there. I do sort of wish that Eastern Fringe could be more easily or directly tied to Necromunda. Maybe the eastern fringe of the ash wastes or something. Hmm.

Truckler (I haven't seen Yarlen on the forum today, he must be studying Adobe Photoshop. :twisted: )

The game designers themselves know these values are not realistic and they do not intend them to replace or invalidate the fluff. So let's get on with our lives and not fixate over the cosmic ramifications of game mechanics which we already know are streamlined for larger forces at the expense of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:37 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Ok, ok. After making my last post I got so excited about trying to make an Eastern Fringe banner that worked with Necromunda that I came up with this iidea. I hope my crude sketch gets the idea across. Hehehe, in my haste to sketch this out, I even forgot the letter "R" in the word Fringe. :eek:

The general idea is to have a vast expanse of ash waste, scorched and blasted by an unforgiving sun. A lone ash waste nomad (or handsome scavvy) points eastwards towards a hivecity rising in the distance. The words "Eastern Fringe" rise up out of the stand, made from giant carved blocks of desert stone.

I imagine the Eastern Fringe stone blocks being worn and eroded by elements with cracks around the edges. Sand cascades down them as if, perhaps, they have only recently been uncovered from the shifting sands (or even erupted from the ground, monolith like).

The lone figure should really be back further in the picture, so that his feet are visible standing in the sand. His face, covered by respirator and goggles stares out of the frame enigmatically at the viewer. His overall look and dress mark him as a seasoned inhabitant of the ash wastes. His arm out stretched points meaningfully towards the hivespire. His presence in the picture is key, as he holds the place of a trusted guide, the only person who could lead the viewer to this most sought after destination.

The overall message of the picture is to say, "This is it traveller. At long last you have arrived at what you have sought for so long." Maybe a sun bleached skull, maybe with an intact rib cage, rests at the foot of the Eastern Fringe blocks. As if to show that not all who sought the Eastern Fringe had such a safe passage.

Truckler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:16 pm 
Enforcer

It's nowhere near finished (I need to read up some tutorials to figure out how I want to sort out the distance blurs) Add text, Sort out the mountains so they look natural (and not negatives), fix the sky line and add a few more details etc etc.

But it was inspired by Trucklers suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:50 pm 
Unctuous Toady
Unctuous Toady

Wow oh Wow! :eek:

That was fast Fen!

I'm speechless here. I don't know what to say. I feel like you're really done an excellent job of bringing together the different elements that I was sort of striving for.

I can't wait to see how things progress!

Truckler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:10 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I have to agree with Truckler, I am liking what I am seeing so far. BUt remember, you are free to interpret what you think the Eastern Fringe means to you as well.

Also, keep in mind that your idea has to be able to transfer to all three sizes.

McCragge