Login |  Register |  FAQ

The New Banner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:58 am 
Anthony Case

Nice. I'm liking the simplicity, goes very well with the forum. :)Image

It is absolutely huooge though. The banner and links underneath cover over half of my vertical screen space. Is there any chance you could crop off some of the blank pixels from all sides and maybe move the tagline up a bit?

I'm not too hot on the colour of the tagline. The texture is ok, perhaps could do with making a bit more transparent and the obvious colour to differentiate the tagline from the name is that golden yellow you used on the last banner. Personally I think I preferred the style/colour of the last banner's font, especially the big golden yellow font.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:26 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

Thanks McCragge for taking 15 seconds to say: “Thanx for the effort you put in Nox, but it’s not what I am after”.

Because it sure would suck to have the better part of a days work ignored.

Even if you don’t like it you should have at least acknowledged it.

“Take a squiz at dis beauti! is got both front an bak weehilz, handle barz with both your left and rite turnin funksion, all da rage dezz dayz! and ta kap it all off a bran noo red paint job, kurtacy of da stoopid beeky who gotz himself caught in da front wheel dat last battil!…so let me fix ya up with da dok so ya can take a squiz at our payment planz”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:45 pm 
Master of Arms
Master of Arms

oh c'mon mate, he's a busy fella. if he int said owt, its cuz he's not stuck his head in yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:27 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Thanx for the effort you put in Nox, but it’s not what I am after

Sheesh Nox, chill man. Your banner actually inspired me but I had been discussing it with Truckler about how to implement it. But now you went and ruined all that...I hope you feel good about yourself.

Oh by the way, how did you do the hazard striping? And what paint program are you using?

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:30 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I guess I should explain where I am coming from:

I spend 10 hours putting something together. I am totally psyched about it because I think I am onto a good thing and really want to contribute something to a board I have been looking in on and posting at for a few years.

I make an 11 pm post (my time) just before I retire for the evening.

The next day while I have breakfast I hop on and see that I have got a few good responses, awesome!

I note that McCragge has been online posting in other topics, fine maybe the banner was just not what he was after I am totally fine with that, ill wait a bit more and see what his response is.

Two days have passed and I know for sure that it has been seen and that if anything were going to come of my work it would have done so by now.

I think to myself:

So it would seem that I have spent a bit of my time on something and nothing has come of it, I can live with that.

It would seem that the banner was not right for the job (which I totally thought would be the most likely outcome and accepted) so again I can live with that.

Being seemingly ignored I think must be my number one pet peeve and is guaranteed to bring about some sort of negative reaction.

What I think did it in the end though was the initial excitement I had when I posted the banner.

Am I over reacting? Being too sensitive?

Im sure many fellow board members will think so and I will most likely look back in a few days time and feel the same.

But I stand by my post only because it was a true representation of what I was thinking at the time I posted it. I am sure that were anyone else in a similar situation they would have had similar feelings.

Maybe this is a good example of why it’s good to take time out before posting anything so that you’re in a more level mood.

“Take a squiz at dis beauti! is got both front an bak weehilz, handle barz with both your left and rite turnin funksion, all da rage dezz dayz! and ta kap it all off a bran noo red paint job, kurtacy of da stoopid beeky who gotz himself caught in da front wheel dat last battil!…so let me fix ya up with da dok so ya can take a squiz at our payment planz”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:55 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Nox, I totally empathize with you. There have been many times I have been in the exact same situation as you. Like posting up pics of newly painted models and getting no responses and other similiar things.

You have every right to feel that way. And I am sorry I didn't acknowledge your hard work (which I really liked by the way) Me and Truckler have been discussing an idea that your banner had brought to mind and I guess I sorta got side tracked and had forgotten to comment on your kick ass banner. (Which by the way I still want to know how you did those hazard stripes and what paint program you use) One of my favorite parts of your banner is how the slogan is scratched into the metal, awesome! Throw a bullet hole or two in there and perfection.

Again, my humble apologies for disrespecting you as it was not my intention.

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:14 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I apologize for over reacting.

==================================================

The program I use is Adobe Photoshop CS 8.0.

It is a very intimidating program to start off with but once you get a few skills down with it you will never look back!

The power of “Layers” is unmatchable and lets you do so many creative things!

The hazard stripes are from a tutorial located here:

http://www.lyzrdstomp.com/tutorial_caution/

Take a few minutes to have a look around his site, it also has some tips for making models that look just like the models (physical models) used in sci-fi movies back in the day!

The text used was “Nail Scratch” it’s free online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Nox, I wanted to say well done on your banner, as well. There's a book with loads of good stuff for Pshop that you shoudl check out, I'll posit it later when I get a chance, but it has some really visually powerful techniques. Your work is solid! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:43 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

That tutorial helps a lot thank you.

I just recently upgraded from Paint Shop Pro 7 to Paint Shop Pro XI It to is pretty intimidating, but I am pretty familiar with it. It also uses layers, and the use of layers, without question, is the coolest thing in the world, well next to pre-sliced bread that is.

Have you used any of the Paint Shop Pro programs and if so how do they compare to the Adobe Photoshop? (I used to have adobe photoshop 2.0, and was less then impressed to say the least)

McCragge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:23 am 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

McCragge, PS 2.0 is so far removed from CS 8.0 and CS2 (and presumably CS3) that it's practically beyond comparison. If you get a chance to use any of the CS versions of PShop, you would do well to take it!

I've not used Paint Shop Pro in any capacity, but I've heard that the interfaces are different enough to be a bit frustrating. In terms of capacity and capability PS Pro and PShop are pretty similar, but the methods and techniques are a bit different. This comes purely from viewing images created by both programs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:53 pm 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

I have used Paint Shop back in its infancy in a shareware format I got off a computer magazine CD back in the 90’s.

It was way before “Layers” were around. From what I remember I liked it a lot as it had lots of features and instant effects you could apply. I used to spend hours taking a picture then applying hundreds of effects to it just to see what would happen. I think it was defiantly the leading paint program at that time.

My exposure to Adobe Photoshop started with CS 8.0 so I have never used any of the earlier programs.

I unfortunately can’t give a very useful comparison, as the distance between using the two programs is years so it would be rather unfair and inaccurate.

Cheers for all the kind comments guys (from before and after my silliness), I really appreciate them!

I would like nothing more than to contribute something to the creation of the banner, even if in the end its just feedback and any tips I might know about various things.

Weagmacht any links for Photoshop tutorials or techniques will be very handy, as I have to use it on a regular basis for a lot of assignments I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Just wanted to post that I like the new Banner. The colored lights are a nice touch... and the snow... kind of sends a chill down the spine. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:27 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

How very Northern hemisphere... :P
Can the rest of us have a banner than overheats our CPUs, deafens us with the chirping of cicadas, and substitutes the falling snowflakes with smoke and cinders from a bushfire?

The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity.
With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog, behind which halftruths and untruths can frolic and procreate unmolested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:08 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

RobbieBuckshotLaFunk wrote:
How very Northern hemisphere... :P
Can the rest of us have a banner than overheats our CPUs, deafens us with the chirping of cicadas, and substitutes the falling snowflakes with smoke and cinders from a bushfire?

Well of course but that will go at the bottom of the forum...where it belongs :P

McCragge