Login |  Register |  FAQ

Vietnam Orlocks, a conversion project I need a hand with!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:13 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Flamekebab wrote:
. How many ladies packing guns were present on the frontline in 'Nam? Eh? hehe

The VC army had plenty of females. :)

For model guns, I second McCragge's suggestion. 1/32 scale model kits are pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:24 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Well, it's been over five years, but at last this gang is coming together. They're active in a Necromunda campaign I'm involved in and here's a few pics of the work in progress models:

The M16s are from MaxMini and the M60 is from The Assault Group.

I'm also using heads from Hasslefree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 am 
Private
Private

just awesome!

old projects never die, just gain better components

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:40 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I've continued my work, keeping up the momentum:

Here's a closer look at my grenadier:

The M79 isn't perfect, but I tried.
This was the alternative:
His weapon is made from a cut-down Empire blunderbuss. His helmet I sculpted (badly), same with the M60 gunner.

The writing on the bases is temporary, as they're being used in a campaign at the moment. Once they're painted their names will be a little neater!

I'll also see about some better photos when they're painted. It's a pain in the arse to take photos of white models in a lightbox, as I discovered last time. These are just a few snaps from my iPhone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:03 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

These guys have been finished since last August or so but I've been busy with other things and so haven't had time to photograph them. However I did just snap photos of all of the final line up and will be posting them here, although I'll be doing it by fire team.

First an overview:
(Clicky to embiggen)

There's three fire teams: Alpha, Bravo, and unsurprisingly Charlie. However there's also a heavy that moves between fire teams or works alone, as seen on the raised pipe.

By the end of the campaign he was equipped with a Lascannon (Red-Dot Laser Sight), as you can see. He also packed a Grenade Launcher with a telescopic sight as his sidearm (complete with a variety of grenades) and a grapnel to allow him to get around at a reasonable rate. Of course his primary use was to distract attention from the rest of the gang. Put a guy with a lascannon high up and suddenly the other gangs become very focussed on dealing with him, as I'm sure you've all noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:33 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ah! What a great way to have a cool kneeling pose without people complaining about LoS stuff.

The heavy is very cool in general. Loving the grapnel and crazy expensive guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:02 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Thanks! That was the idea, really. I felt it was kinda overkill to have the model standing up straight under the weight of the lascannon. It was bought during a campaign event when it was half price, but of course the model had a total roster cost of 815!
He also served as the gang's Armourer and had lobo-chip Initiative (after having quite high Initiative if I recall correctly). The bandanna covered Horrible Scars sustained during the campaign.

The Lascannon was scratchbuilt as I'm sure you've all guessed, as was the grapnel.

Anyway, here's an overview of the three fireteams:

Alpha Fireteam, led by Johnny Mac.

Bravo Fireteam, led by Mortiboy.

Charlie Fireteam, led by Sgt. Fisher (Gang leader):

Alpha Fireteam consists of these guys:
Johnny Mac, fireteam leader.

He carried a shotgun with bolt shells and man-stopper shells. By the end of the campaign he had an Old Battle Wound but was still generally able to make it to the fight.
His chainsword saw a fair bit of use, particularly as he had 3 Attacks by the end. That also came in handy as he had both Rapid Fire and Fast Shot (and Weaponsmith and Marksman!). A respectable fireteam leader, I feel.

The hat was an attempt at sculpting on my part. I feel it turned out quite well, although it would have been better if someone else painted it, I'm sure. Painting is not my strong suit.
His legs are from a Chaos Marauder while the rest is mostly Catachan stuff. I think his head is a Hasslefree metal one. The shotgun comes from MaxMini, although I shortened the stock and shaped it very carefully so it'd slot into his hand, which I hollowed out. The shells on the side are Ork bullets cut down to attempt to be the right size.

PFC BR Sumpter, rifleman.

A fairly standard ganger. Autogun, chainsword, handflamer. However he was tough as old boots (Toughness 4 with 2 Wounds). Rapid Fire allowed him to provide useful covering fire even if he didn't usually cause much damage. Keeping the enemy pinned helped a great deal, however.

The helmet was another sculpt, the weapon is from MaxMini, the chainsword is a Forgeworld one of some sort a friend gave me. The pistol handle is from an Orky weapon of some sort, although the specifics slip my mind as I write this. The green bandoleer across his chest is based on the ones I've read about being used during the Vietnam conflict. It was sculpted from green stuff, as were the others you might spot throughout the gang. His backpack is from The Assault Group.
I wish I could paint glasses better!

LCpl. Spaulding, radioman/rifleman.

A replacement who joined the gang fairly late in the campaign. He lost a finger on his right hand but was still useful with his boltgun. He rarely got charged thanks to the Killer Reputation he'd cultivated in his downtime. A finger?! You should have seen the other guy!

Nothing very special here. The boltgun is represented by a MaxMini suppressed CAR-15 (in my gang if it's not a standard-looking M16, it's a boltgun. My opponents didn't have any problems with it, from what I could tell). The radio handset was a sculpt, as I'm sure you guessed.

Pvt. Chlewa, rifleman.

Another replacement, but another hard nut. Toughness 4 and 2 Wounds kept him with the unit to the bitter end. Average BS was not much of a setback for him as he had Fast Shot and 2 Attacks allowing for good use of his boltgun.

This model was actually built for a much better fighter who had BS6, S4, T4, and W2. He was also armed with grenades and a stubgun, hence the M203 on his M16 and the pistol holster. However he bought it near the end of the campaign, poor chap. I really like the reloading pose of the model. The rifle is again from MaxMini and the backpack from The Assault Group.

Bonus photo:

I just liked how the other fighters look in the background of this picture.

It occurs to me that I've not taken any photos of the backpacks worn by many in the gang. Given how much consideration went into them I think I might do some group photos of them later. I particularly like the one on Pvt. Chlewa as it includes a scratch-build M72 LAW for decoration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:17 pm 
Private
Private

check out BrikArms

http://brickarms.com/

They are designed for LEGO models but might be the right size as Necromunda/GW figs always have exaggerated weapons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:18 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Hehe, thanks for the link, but as you can see in the photos, the gang is done. I got the weapons or sculpted them when I needed them.

I asked for help back in 2005 when weapons weren't readily available like they are now :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:53 am 
Cadet
Cadet

Great conversion, I really like the m60 and vietnam feel !
I think that the m16 are a bit oversized (but the Ak of maxminis don't look so big.) They can be more generally some contractor, I think.

Do you test the Assault group m16 ? TAG miniature looks great, I consider using them as IG one day (and got by the way true scale gardsmen, without onverting marine !)

I also wonder about the brickarms weapons, It could be a good match, but how about the size ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

StrongHead wrote:
Great conversion, I really like the m60 and vietnam feel !
I think that the m16 are a bit oversized (but the Ak of maxminis don't look so big.) They can be more generally some contractor, I think.

Do you test the Assault group m16 ? TAG miniature looks great, I consider using them as IG one day (and got by the way true scale gardsmen, without onverting marine !)

I also wonder about the brickarms weapons, It could be a good match, but how about the size ?

Thanks!

The M16s may be a bit chunky, but they seemed about right given the scale of normal 40K weapons (i.e. wrong!). I do have some that might be more appropriately sized (from Hasslefree) but they look undersized and weedy in the hands of normal 40K scale humans compared to others with GW weaponry. As for The Assault Group's M16s, I've got to say I felt they were too ugly and lacked definition:

To be frank it's irrelevant now as the project is done aside from a few things I may do one day. I have a suitable scale UH-1 helicopter and some TAG grave markers so I may make a terrain piece for them at some point.

Right, now for Bravo Fireteam:

Cpl. Mortiboy, Fireteam Leader/Support

The gang's other heavy with a heavy stubber, as is plain to see. Absolutely average stats with one exception - BS6. He also had the Weaponsmith skill and the Inventor skill (I seem to recall he supplied the other heavy's grapnel). His skullchip came in handy on occasion but mostly he just spent a lot of time providing high speed lead looking for a good home.

The model uses an M60 from The Assault Group, minus the bipod, as it was the only M60 I could find. As you saw earlier the helmet and bullets were sculpted by me. He's based on Adam Baldwin's character in Full Metal Jacket, Animal Mother. He did indeed have people chucking grenades at him to keep him focussed!

LCpl. Taufi, rifleman

A replacement who joined the gang late in the campaign. He didn't have a chance to advance and so just got an autogun and handflamer to attempt to provide a spot of (aha) covering fire.

The backpack is from The Assault Group, rifle by MaxMini, and a handflamer from Zinge Industries. In terms of hair and goofiness he's based on Pvt. Scott Baker in the show Tour of Duty (played by Eric Bruskotter).

Pvt. Harster, rifleman

A survivor from the start of the unit's deployment. Starting out as a lowly juve he was fairly average by journey's end, although his experiences gave him a Ld. of 9. He also ended up with Rapid Fire allowing him to provide excellent covering fire. Just a solid ganger, really.

His rifle has a strap I sculpted and the end is from a lasgun after the forward iron sights on the original muzzle broke off. Nothing much else to say about this chap. He's got an entrenching tool on his backpack which is a TAG one with extra pouches.

PFC JB Sumpter, rifleman

The brother of BR, he had 2 Wounds, a BS of 5, and Rapid Fire. Unfortunately he also had an Old Battle Wound and a mitigated Head Wound but he mostly came through for the unit.

MaxMini rifle, helmet sculpt, a few bullets on a strap on his back (left over from Mortiboy's belts). Pretty run of the mill.

Post subject: Re: Vietnam Orlocks, a conversion project I need a hand with
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Wow! :guns02 Great stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 am 
Master Gunner
Master Gunner

You need now some Delaques in black pijamas to fight against, don't you? :wink:

P.D: Nice conversions!

Or just drop some line!: http://es-es.facebook.com/suruscreations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Now for the last fireteam:

Sgt. Fisher, Fireteam leader/grenadier

WS6, BS6. No notable skills but a deadly fighter both at range and in melee. As you can see by the end of the campaign he was packing a plasma gun, a power sword, and a grenade launcher (flash, frag, krak, and smoke).

Originally this model was for someone else but after that grenadier was killed early in the campaign I decided to change things up. As I mentioned before, the grenade launcher is from a cut down Empire free company blunderbuss. The paint scheme is an obvious nod to the one wielded by The Roach in Apocalypse Now.

Pvt. Wagner

A juve that joined right at the end of the campaign. No advances, nothing special whatsoever. He was packing two handflamers though in order to make him at least marginally useful.

The helmet is a smoothed down Cadian head while the rest is pretty much stock Catachan.

PFC Olvera, support

He may have had dreadful initiative due to a mitigated headwound and a bit of a limp but this guy was a lot of fun. BS2, sure, not so handy. However Bolt Pistols are +2 to hit at short range. The next bit is our interpretation and is subject to debate from what I've read. He had the following skills: Gun Fighter, Fast Shot, Crack Shot, Rapid Fire, and Hip Shooting. 2 Attacks meant that if he stood still he could fire 8 times in a single turn (Fast Shot = 2 shots per weapon, Gun Fighter = firing each weapon in the same turn, Rapid Fire allowing to use both weapons twice per turn) if he ran he forfeited his Rapid Fire bonus. You guys may handle that skill combo differently and that's fair enough, I'm not looking to debate it. He was only really used in the final two games at which point there were plenty more deadly fighters on the table. The novelty of him was fun though!
Unsurprisingly I expected him to run out of ammo and so gave him a backup pair of bolt pistols to deal with this eventuality. He was a fun deterrent but much like the Lascannon didn't get a chance to do much damage.

The head is from Hasslefree with a headband thingy sculpted on. everything else is stock.

Pvt. Schwartz

A bit of a melee monster. Schwartz was unfortunate enough to be disfigured during the campaign giving him Horrible Scars. Stats-wise he was pretty brutal: WS6, BS4, W2, I5. In terms of skills he was also spec'd for hand to hand: Combat Master, Berserk Charge, and Step Aside. A plasma pistol, powersword, and bolt pistol made him a formidable adversary.

The torch, grenade, helmet, and shirt are sculpts/scratchbuilt. Pretty much everything else is stock, although I think the plasma pistol is a resin Forgeworld one.

That's the gang, Missing In Action. You can find them on Yakromunda here. Thanks for enduring my explanations!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Really cool gang. THat is very impressive. Have you thought of doing a more modern version? Or perhaps a unit from another time like the Swiss Guard?