Login |  Register |  FAQ

A moment of eBay weakness...

Post subject: A moment of eBay weakness...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:22 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

A week or so ago I was idly thumbing through eBay after loading one of my favourite searches (try searching "Rogue Trader" and wind the clock back twenty years, it's great fun) and stumbled across someone offering three raw Mk 6 space marine bodies for £5. As there were no bids I put the minimu in and watched the clock run down, then amazingly found myself the owner of three box-fresh beakies.

The question then was what to do with them. Obviously three marines aren't much good on their own in 2nd Ed so I needed to come up with a plan. There's always the option of using them as the basis for a nice early nineties mixed armour tactical squad, but then I remembered, as a Blood Angel collector (I know, 2nd ed Blood Angels, very original) I had another option. I would start to build myself an old school, swords and pistols footslogger Veteran Assault Squad.

Inspired, I looked anew and discovered someone selling a bulkload of metal bodies for a tenner, and they were soon mine. Of the bulk there were some surplus to requirements (devastators and jump pack bodies, and seven Death Company bodies) which I've put back up for auction, but I got another two Mk 6s, plus a 1999 Mk 7 - which I may also sell on, I'm yet to decide - and a Mk 8 body which I reckon would look the business as a combat squad leader.

I'm now on the look out for a suitable sergeant to lead them, maybe even one of the veterans GW released '95ish if I can find one for the right price, and another two or three to fill the squad out. Looking at the codex I found that the squad is allowed two special weapons, but it appears the metal plasma/Melta/flamer guys are a bit rare, and honestly a bit over gunned for an assault squad. Then I hit on another idea; the old bike squadron special weapon torsos would enable me to build two men with big shooty guns on their hip and something a bit more suitable in their 'spare' hand, so they're now on the list too.

I'll keep you updated (if anyone's interested) as the rest of the squad comes together. If anyone's interested in what I'm offloading let me know and I'll post a link to the auctions.

and go racin' in the street

Post subject: Re: A moment of eBay weakness...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:18 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

Nicely done!
the Rouge Trader search is one I often make too, and I think too often I just consider Buy It Now items! :)
Keep us updated of the evolution of the project!

Truth is usually just an excuse
for a lack of imagination
---Elim Garak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 am 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

Ebay is great if you have the patience you can find some great treasures for reasonable prices...if not an out right steal some times :)

But we are definitely interested in this ongoing project. Even more so if there was pictures so we can all enjoy an Nostalgic flash back to the awesome days of Wargaming :)

And of course post your links to your auctions, we may not buy but we will look, and we all have lots of friends that in turn might buy :)

McCragge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks guys, I'll post some photos when I'm at the computer, not my phone. For those interested, the current eBay lots are:

Devastators:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1620120050

Assault troops:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1620126119

Death Company:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1620129510

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:07 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Another chapter in my story, where there is some success, and a couple of setbacks.

First, the good; another Mk7 (1990) picked up for under £3 and no shortage of 'biker' plasma gunners, which leaves me just a melta gun and sergeant short of a full squad (if you don't count the bikers' legs). I'm in no great rush, but it's funny how things fall into place when you start a little project like this. This is the squad in the (very) early stages: the five Mk6s and the Mk8, with the later Mk7, which might not make it into the squad, on the right:

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/gavbe ... z.jpg.html

Now the worry; a quick sort through the bits box reveals some shortages. I sorted out a power fist and plasma pistol for the combat squad leader, and enough bolt pistols for everyone else (less the bikers). I have arms in abundance and sufficient shoulder pads, but only five chainswords and no power swords at all. I could fill out with power axes and fists, but I'm not sure I want to. Even worse, I can only find five spare backpacks, which has really surprised me. I need to have a rifle through my other boxes, but this evening the project got a lot harder and potentially, if I have to source replacements off the internet, a lot more expensive. Anyone have any suggestions of UK based places to look that aren't too expensive?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:23 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I don't know of anyone or anywhere in the UK, however if you give me an exact list (with pics would be ideal) and I will have a rummage through my bitz box and see if I have the items. If I do I will mail them to you.

McCragge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Had a few quiet moments while the wife and kids were out yesterday so managed to get everyone based up and this guy complete. Welcome back to the nineties.

Last edited by Gav on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:40 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

First three Mk6 marines assembled - bolt pistols and swords:

(Sorry about the portrait shot, it's the only way Photobox will preview the picture in this forum rather than posting a link)

Also been spending more money on eBay this weekend. Picked up two complete Space Marine close combat weapon sprues (so I have enough swords to complete the squad) and also a complete never assembled metal Blood Angels tactical squad box (heavy Bolter and Melta gun) from 2nd Ed for £10 less than a box of plastics cost in store today. The search for backpacks, however, continues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:44 am 
Recruit
Recruit

Another week, more money spent and more models assembled.

First up, the purchases: a biker Meltagun body (pictured), six backpacks (enough to finish the squad and have some spares) and a two pairs of legs (modern plastic ones, but they should match OK) for the bikers for less than £7 the lot.

Modelling has been limited this week, but I managed to get the Mk7 body made up as shown below:

This means the current shopping list is pretty short: a plasma gun-armed biker body and a suitable sergeant. There are a couple of lots on eBay ending soon so I might have finished spending money by this time next week, I think much to the wife's satisfaction...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:22 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Nearly two weeks without an update, but I'm done buying and I've even finished assembling the squad apart from finding one non-slotta base for the plasma gunner with plastic legs. I'm really impressed with the end result, especially the now non-bikers with the special weapons who turned out better than I dated hope - if ever there was a marine that screamed 'come at me, bro' it's the guy with a chainsword and a plasma gun on his hip!

Photos will follow when I have the time, but the final lineup is:
Sergeant: plasma pistol and power fist
Squad leader: plasma pistol and power fist
4x marines with bolt pistol and chainsword
2x marines with bolt pistol and power sword
Marine with meltagun and power sword
Marine with plasma gun and chainsword

Next stop is the tactical squad, which is all contained together and doesn't rely on me trawling through eBay to complete. As it turns out the box is actually the RT release, complete with the RT stats line on the back. The kids today get confused by the M stat - what would they do with Cl, Int and WP…?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:04 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

As promised, photos of the rest of the squad. Apologies for the multiple posts, and state of the table...

First up, the last two brothers...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Next, the sergeant with a power fist and a plasma pistol, to give him a bit of clout in close combat…

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

And finally the real muscle, the brother with a meltagun and a power sword...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:18 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

And a lastly, study in looking both incredibly relaxed and also like he's just about to mess someone up, the brother with a plasma gun and a chainsword…

Like I said, I'm genuinely chuffed with how well (and quickly) the squad has come together, and I think I've managed it for less than whatever a squad of plastic retails for in store nowadays. Unfortunately I now need to add them to the painting queue which hasn't really moved on since the mid-nineties (my painting skills are, shall we say, basic), but nonetheless I still take pride in having an army (or armies - I've also got 3,000+ points of Valhallans and just under 2,000 points of Squats in the painting queue) that would get me thrown out of a modern-day GW store. Hope you guys like them too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:25 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Any update on this project mate? I'm really keen to see how these boys turned out! I'm loving that old school vibe!

Legio

My Retro 40k blog can be found at the link above - Enjoy!