Login |  Register |  FAQ

Kings of War

Post subject: Kings of War
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:28 am 
The Threadomancer

Just had my first game of Kings of War and i really enjoyed it. The game is simple to learn but I suspect tricky to master. It's different enough from warhammer to be a completely different game but it has enough similarities to make the transition from 8th WFB to koW easier than 8th to AoS. I'd recommend it thoroughly.

My Blog

Post subject: Re: Kings of War
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:07 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I was watching some videos on Youtube on how to play the game. I was interested in giving it a try, but am I wrong, or do you not remove casualties from your blocks of troops? It just seems so weird not to do this, and quite honestly, counter-intuitive. I mean, as a mob of dudes gets arrowed as they cross the field, the size of the mob should shrink, giving everyone playing a easy visual that the group has sustained damage. Should I charge my cavalry at those heavily armed unit of pikemen? Well there are clearly on three left...hell ya! But it seems in KoW that would not be the case. There may be only three dude left, but visually it is still the whole block of troops.

Or maybe I am wrong and you do remove casualties. I will say though, their miniatures look really nice and I wouldn't mind collecting them.

McCragge

Post subject: Re: Kings of War
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:08 am 
The Threadomancer

Yes you are right about the removal of models. It represents the combat effectiveness of a unit as well as it's ability to cause damage. The unit is removed as soon as it has taken enough damage (or in the case of my first game my opponent rolled snake eyes two turns in a row to enable my cavalry to run amok longer than they should have). The nerve test (morale) is actually very simple and works well. I would definitely recommend you giving it a try as it is a game where you can play a 2000 point game in about 2 hours easily. 2000 points being the equivalent of 2500 or more in WFB money. One thing that does really appeal to me is the modelling aspect. I can make a diorama of models that fit the unit footprint and have a nice little scene wandering around the battlefield until it's destroyed.

All in all I can play a more strealined WFB using all my old models without the rebasing nightmare that AoS brings.

My Blog