Login |  Register |  FAQ

Order of shooting phase

Post subject: Order of shooting phase
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:41 pm 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

This was an issue that came up in my recent battle:

As I understand it, the shooting phase is resolved on a squad to squad basis. One squad declares their targets, then firing is resolved including all consequences, then the next squad declares targets and resolves their firing including all consequences etc.

But, I know of other gaming-rounds of old there would be other players who let all models declare their targets and then resolve the firing, similar to declare charges.

What is the difference, you may ask?

The first approach is much more efficient, since squads that fire after legal targets have already been destroyed or broken by fire of another squad can fire at other eligible targets,
whereas in the second approach two squads would fire simultaneously at a target even when the target is already destroyed or broken by the fire of one of them.

So how do you resolve the shooting phase?

Post subject: Re: Order of shooting phase
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:08 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

I think that declaring all of your targets first before resolving the effects is perhaps more 'realistic'. But from a tabletop gaming perspective it's easier to do it one unit at a time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe super heavies in the current edition have to declare their targets before resolving the shots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:58 pm 
Officer of the Watch
Officer of the Watch

You have to use the first one, otherwise (especially in larger games) the bulk of your fire gets wasted. Melee heavy army would become unstoppable. How do you want to play againts 3k Tyranids if you have to stop shooting after firing at 6 Termagants/Hormagaunts and a Carnifex?

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosend in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence, that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.
Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, (&#$@!) gold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:52 am 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Yes, I was able to convince my opponent by hinting at the fact there was no such a thing as 'declare charges' in the shooting phase, so we played the game with the first approach as usual.

Is there still anyone playing the shooting phase with that 2nd approach? Or even another interpretation of the rules?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:48 pm 
Astro-Path
Astro-Path

I am not entirely sure anyone played that way at the height of 2n edition. Back then I was in lots of tourny, some official, some private, but in all cases it was always played, where the current squad declares targets, fires and what not, then on to the next squad. The other way is time consuming and causes more arguments then it is worth.

McCragge